Wolves 2-2 Everton - Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imigine how that game would have panned out last season? Go 1 up then a player sent off and a goal from the free kick, we'd have lost 3-1 at least.
At start of play, thats the score I thought we were going to get beat by, a good attitude by the players, just hope it wasnt because Wolves are gonna be the whipping boys this year

Tell you what lads and lasses, let's get a positive performance and see how many players we can then call rubbish. Not Everton that, but deffo GOT.

Stats wise...

I do not understand what the defense is thinking. Can someone drop a bit deeper for Pickford to pass to? When your keeper thumps the ball up field for 28 times (only 3 times if find an intended target) its hardly his fault but lack of movement from the defense. Being one man down doesn't mean you have to play a rigid 4-4-
1 in possession.

Our right side is wayward as always. Despite his best efforts, Walcott drifting inside this game is a disaster. His passing lets himself down and was only accurate 10 times out of 18 attempts. He also made second-least touches on the ball for everyone playing 90 minutes - the only worse player is Rui Patricio, who for all purposes is a goalkeeper. Coleman didn't fared too well either, but at least his passes found intended targets 23 out of 34 times.

One thing to note is Gana and Schneiderlin's passing positions. Gana as usual is everywhere on the pitch, while Schneiderlin is largely tucked to a triangle between the both outer corners of the penalty area and the far side of the center circle. It remains to be seen if he keeps to this playing style or he is instructed to not venture too far from his position while letting Gana to do all the legwork.

Big bugbear of mine is on defending corners ....everyone is back in the box ( or about ) !! Even if we win the first header the ball gets recycled in again Leave a man out and another up front at least for a quick outlet ball ..opponents have to put at least 2 players marking !! eg Walcott or Richarlison with their pace ⚽

I'm mildly disappointed with the result because I thought we were considerably better than them, though given the circumstances a draw is understandable. I think before the game a lot of us would have been pleased with drawing given our pre season performances. It looks like exciting times ahead.

its not his fault he's starting.
Indeed. But his performance is his fault.

Jags has been past it for about two seasons now. His pace is nowhere near what it was and that was the strongest part of his game. He's never been dominant in the air ( Remember him getting out jumped by Van Wolfswinkel against Norwich :mad: ) and his positioning was never exactly perfect. Plus there are the well-established weaknesses in his leadership style...

There are better candidates in the squad for captaincy, and there are better options in the squad to start at CB. Jags has a proper fight on his hands to remain a starting eleven player. It's inevitable that every player will eventually decline, and Jags has been declining for at least two seasons, arguably three. I'd like to see Coleman take the captaincy against Soton and Jags earn his place back after the ban.

As for the game: Richarlison easily MotM, but a couple the others earned mentions: Gana and Coleman were both good, and Keane and Schneiderlin showed improvement. Colgate and Digne looked useful when they came on.

Wolves though.... goodness me. Five at the back at home, against ten men? No ambition. Seemed like they were happy to kick lumps out of Richarlison too, which is a championship-level approach to football. I'll be happy to see us put four past them in the return match.

Last edited:
Garth Crook's Team of the Week had Richarlison in it and he also had something to say about Jag's red:

1534127563558.png

I agree with him.

Garth Crook's Team of the Week had Richarlison in it and he also had something to say about Jag's red:

View attachment 48891

I agree with him.

Premier league refs are not interested in fair officiating but in protecting the top 6. I doubt they’ll be bothered by international exclusion as long as they deliver the sort of outcome to the season that their paymaster Sky is after.

Didn't see any of it but was following the txt commentary. Was happy with a point after the sending off but reading the reports and comments on here we played well?
At last, going out to try and win.

Very good writeup, missed opportunity, but honestly I think a better performance than most on here expected. Or maybe Wolves were just much poorer than expected? Either way, Im excited to see where the team is in 3 weeks.
I think the euphoria amongst wolves fans will have died down after that match
The struggled to get a draw against a side down to 10 men for 45 mins.
They are back in the big boys playground and will struggle this season.
I read somewhere that their plan is to win the PL in 7 seasons.
They have about as much hope as the RS of that happening

Jagielka should be ashamed of himself after that today. If that's not enough for him to decide it's time to step down a division I don't know what is. If he was a foreigner, heck, if he was Bolasie and was refusing to throw the towel in the fans would be outraged. He's been finished for years, yet somehow he decided to stick around and continue to pick up his king's ransom instead of showing an ounce of professionalism and dropping down a division. Time to koff and never return. He still has three weeks to leave but you can bet your bottom dollar that captain fantastic will still be here with his seventy grand a week come September. Worst captain in our history.
Is that you Dave ???

I think the euphoria amongst wolves fans will have died down after that match
The struggled to get a draw against a side down to 10 men for 45 mins.
They are back in the big boys playground and will struggle this season.
I read somewhere that their plan is to win the PL in 7 seasons.
They have about as much hope as the RS of that happening
Yeah the hype for them and Fulham was a little much. Neves looks decent but neither of their wingers had any impact and that backline was badly championship standard. Fulham meanwhile had possession with little threat and Sessegnon talented as he is struggled with Wan-Bissaka defending him so not exactly top class. Still don't see either team going down but some pundits tipping both for top half probably will look a bit silly when both are 11-15 range at the end

Premier league refs are not interested in fair officiating but in protecting the top 6. I doubt they’ll be bothered by international exclusion as long as they deliver the sort of outcome to the season that their paymaster Sky is after.
Proof of that in the Arsenal City game yesterday when Cech went in on Laport with his studs showing, in the area. He got the ball and the man, same as Jags, but no sign of a card or free kick (penalty in this case), in fact not a peep out of the referee. If English referees didn't have poor standards they wouldn't have any standards at all. They are certainly inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.