Will we qualify for Europe this season?

Will we qualify for Europe this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistake we made this season with Europe was going out far too late, in those qualifying games we should of played the weakest inexperienced side we have, if they go out its no loss. Getting past Hajduk Split might of seemed like a good idea at the time but the trick with the Europa league is if you are unlucky enough to qualify for it via a poor league place you need to ensure you are out ASAP.
The under 18s should of played Ruzomberok, not first team players, if they go out its fine, if they get past into the next round, good for them

Mistake we made this season with Europe was going out far too late, in those qualifying games we should of played the weakest inexperienced side we have, if they go out its no loss. Getting past Hajduk Split might of seemed like a good idea at the time but the trick with the Europa league is if you are unlucky enough to qualify for it via a poor league place you need to ensure you are out ASAP.
The under 18s should of played Ruzomberok, not first team players, if they go out its fine, if they get past into the next round, good for them

Could you imagine the fume if we had picked a kids team and got knocked out by Ruzomberok? Regardless of how unimportant you might think the auld Eurofra is - sacrificing a European campaign in the manner that you suggest would've ended up with people calling for Koeman's head in and of itself.

My view is this : let's get the basics right. We've been through the most horrendous couple of months and have only just started to get back on our feet. Most of our wins this season have been scrappy affairs, it's hard to think of a single game where we've played great flowing football for anything like 90 minutes. DCL and Niasse have stepped up to the mark and done everything we could have asked of them, but we are still a team crying out for a goalscoring centre forward. Compare us to last year's top 6, the gulf in quality is embarrassing, it's greater than it's been for years. We can close that gap, but it's going to take time, good coaching and developing these wonderful young talents that we have. So I'm not even thinking where are going to finish this year, as long as we're not involved in the relegation scrap I'll take whatever we can get, what's more important is getting the performances right, getting a balanced squad, attacking and defending as a unit, and building a team of players who will fight for the right to wear the shirt.

Could you imagine the fume if we had picked a kids team and got knocked out by Ruzomberok? Regardless of how unimportant you might think the auld Eurofra is - sacrificing a European campaign in the manner that you suggest would've ended up with people calling for Koeman's head in and of itself.

No it wouldn't, last season plenty were saying they didn't want to get stuck in that comp and they were spot on with the reasoning. However this season, even if we went out early might still of been terrible, but Europa didn't help.

No it wouldn't, last season plenty were saying they didn't want to get stuck in that comp and they were spot on with the reasoning. However this season, even if we went out early might still of been terrible, but Europa didn't help.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic on how much effort should be put into a European campaign but I honestly do think it was a no-win scenario - there's certainly a segment of the support that would've been just as annoyed with us not taking Europa seriously as those that are annoyed that we took it too seriously.

It's like Everton getting mugged off for 'winning the possession' but not the games under Martinez but now we're the worst team ever because we're winning games and not the possession. Can't win, people will always be unhappy.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic on how much effort should be put into a European campaign but I honestly do think it was a no-win scenario - there's certainly a segment of the support that would've been just as annoyed with us not taking Europa seriously as those that are annoyed that we took it too seriously.

It's like Everton getting mugged off for 'winning the possession' but not the games under Martinez but now we're the worst team ever because we're winning games and not the possession. Can't win, people will always be unhappy.

True that, there was some at Anfield moaning that we werent going at them enough, chances are the same heads that left at half time under Martinez when we went 3 0 down early in the game trying to attack too much

Was thinking of this particular conundrum after the Swansea win; and with the potential to climb to 7th if Burnley/Leicester slip up in the second half of the season.

With 2018 being a World Cup year, and let's assume the top six sides win the League and FA Cup, seventh place will once again be opened up as a place in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, which will once again mean playing competitive matches at the start of August, I believe, for the third round next year.

The World Cup doesn't even end until mid-July.... so if some of our international players make it through to the later rounds of the World Cup, there will barely be a break for them (even considering that the club may well say they don't need to report back for pre-season training until later than normal).

I'm normally always an advocate of qualifying for any European competition, to my way of thinking, the more times we can be involved in Europe, obviously Champions League is the holy grail but if not that, then the Europa League group stage, then the better for the players, and it's always great to see Everton in Europe.

But the scenario as above surely is going to impact heavily on league form next season (the start to this season was bad enough!). So, thoughts? Would seventh this season, and then EL qualification, potentially be a poisoned chalice?

Let's not get carried away.

We still have a very unbalanced squad and Big Sam has still got a huge job on his hands just to get top 10.

Delighted with the players' work ethic of late, though. And the way they have responded to Sam generally.

Was thinking of this particular conundrum after the Swansea win; and with the potential to climb to 7th if Burnley/Leicester slip up in the second half of the season.

With 2018 being a World Cup year, and let's assume the top six sides win the League and FA Cup, seventh place will once again be opened up as a place in the third qualifying round of the Europa League, which will once again mean playing competitive matches at the start of August, I believe, for the third round next year.

The World Cup doesn't even end until mid-July.... so if some of our international players make it through to the later rounds of the World Cup, there will barely be a break for them (even considering that the club may well say they don't need to report back for pre-season training until later than normal).

I'm normally always an advocate of qualifying for any European competition, to my way of thinking, the more times we can be involved in Europe, obviously Champions League is the holy grail but if not that, then the Europa League group stage, then the better for the players, and it's always great to see Everton in Europe.

But the scenario as above surely is going to impact heavily on league form next season (the start to this season was bad enough!). So, thoughts? Would seventh this season, and then EL qualification, potentially be a poisoned chalice?

Everything has been moved back anyway, There’s about a month between the final and the stage of the Europa we entered this season.

What’s the point in qualifying for the champions league to be in pot 4 and get an absolute horror group.

That is the “dream scenario” for those of you advocated not being in Europe to try and get top 4. In which case our coefficient would be below the basement and we’ll be out by December anyway.

In reality you need consistent European competition of any kind to improve. The Everton side in Europe this season was no different to the league performance wise. It wasn’t one affecting the other we were just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.