Homepage Update: Why Marco may or may not be a Silva lining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I pleased Allardyce has gone - yes. Who should replace him and we could reasonably appoint? The old school like Ancelotti or Pellegrini aren’t right. The likes of Simone or Emery probably consider us below them and would have better offers. Rafael has baggage that would split the fan base. What are we left with - a relatively young ambitious guy who really wants the job. That’s essentially Silva, Dyche or Howe and of those I think my first choice would be Silva

Exactly. Out of what is realistically available, he is about the best choice.

Now that Fonseca has broken my heart forever (for a few weeks), I'm still going to be happy with Silva.

One thing I think a lot of people have been overlooking when moaning about his loyalty is the fact that he seems to have waited for us. He waited for us! I'm 99.99% certain he has had other job offers since he left Watford. I'm not saying he's suddenly Mr Evertonian but I get the impression that he sees us as his opportunity for a big project, not as a stepping stone. Yes of course he would bugger off to Barca or similar if he gets the chance, but if he does get that chance then he will already have done better than any other manager we've had for decades.

Why worry about his Hull and Watford stints? Hull was always only a short term contract and Watford - well they jump into bed with a new manager at the drop of a hat so I doubt he was expecting to stay there for years - they've had 14 managers in the last 10 years FFS, 14!!!

Welcome Marco, I will cherish you forever (until a run of a few bad results and a rumour of Paulo wanting to leave Ukraine)

If he walks out on us I'll be fine with it: it'll mean he's dragged us up from the swamp we reside in and has us playing better and winning more.

Where do I sign up for that?....
The same place you sign for Boberto's 2nd and 3rd seasons aka Bobby's non-Davey Moyes-assisted seasons.

People love to throw out the goals conceded:games played stat from his time at Hull/Watford but don't mention the horrible defenders he had to pick from at both clubs

Everywhere else he's had a great defensive record relative to the league

If Fonseca had taken the risks Silva had in his career (he would never btw, as today proves) none of us would have wanted him

So, just once he's walked out on a club - from Olympiacos to Hull.
Actually, Silva quit his job on 23 June 2016, alleging personal reasons. On 5 January 2017, Silva was appointed as the head coach of Hull. So, never walked out on a club?

I really liked what Silva did at Hull. Very nearly keeping up one of the worst squads in Premier League history was seriously impressive, as was the feat of guiding Hull to victory over Man Utd in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final. And as others have mentioned he did well to guide Sporting to their first major trophy in seven years.

However, for me it's his record at Olympiacos that's most impressive. Under his stewardship they won their first SEVENTEEN domestic matches of the 2015/16 season, eventually winning the Greek title (Superleague Greece) with ease. They also trounced Arsenal in the Champions League.

Cracking young manager.

Yup, Hull were well adrift. Even finishing 19th seemed an impossibility when he arrived, yet he came agonisingly close to keeping them up.

I just keep thinking back to when we played his Watford at Goodison. They absolutely wellied us but from 2-0 lost 3-2... echoes of Berto M there.

So his record stands at
Sacked by 2 clubs
Walked out on 3

Offer him a 5 year contract with no break clauses in and I bet he doesnt sign it, hes a judas RAT.

Do you prefer a coach who walks out on clubs or one who just keeps getting opportunity after opportunity after being sacked?

If it was you or me, and we saw a better job, with more pay, we'd take it and society would understand that. Yet when it comes to sports people are expected to take less money, operate in a lower tier, be ok with less notoriety and just be loyal... well because we want them to.

Personally I'd rather keep hiring coaches who leave for bigger clubs opposed to those who are loyal and get sacked every year, that means they've been successful. That is the only way to become a bigger club.

We complain about the lack of ambition then shoot down people who exhibit characteristics of it.

Other than the fact he sets his teams out to play attacking football, what does he offer?

Nothing i've read suggests he is innovative or unique.

Why are we chasing him so hard?

Glory hunter then hey.

Have you considered maybe supporting City?

I mean, you clearly hate Everton.

Me, I get excited at regular times, sure we are a nothing club that hasnt won a pot for 23 years, but hey, theres no point in looking at the negatives, every season, youve gotta hope, dream, that this season, this is the 1, this is the 1 we return, otherwise, whats the point?

I honestly couldnt imagine a world without hopes and dreams.

I supposed you better count all the ten,s of thousands of everton fans who were around me watching the players lift silverware at the ground.
Nothing wrong with dreams....Bill had a dream...it lasted 25 years with nothing to show for it, sometimes mate you have to wake up and smell the coffee.

So why don,t we get straight to the point instead of dancing around the issue with teenage pops ......I think that the club should look at all the options on the table for the next manager simple as that mate....it seems to me that we have be planning to have Silva on board for 6 months but does Brands really think that Silva is up to it?????? The last thing we need to do now is force a partnership together that brakes down due to trust and capability issues.

Let Brands pick the next manager is my take on this one.

I honesty dont know what people want in a manager and more, the whole thing doesnt make sense. Silva is a fine choice. I honestly believe we overstate the importance of a manager anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.