Homepage Update: Why Marco may or may not be a Silva lining

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're worrying about loyalty after

A) Moyes shafting us during his compensation denying exit to Utd
B) Koeman blatantly thinking he was too big for us whilst dreaming of Barca

Clubs are incredibly happy to shaft managers too these days. Including us. Admittedly hilariously so with Allardyce

Way too much money is football these days. Where there money there is corruption and greed. Hows Ross Barkley doing?

"Divided opinions of Evertonians" nothing further to add.

We still have not learnt anything as a club and I fear we will be starting all over again within 24 months.......foundations built on sand.

Thats the concern for me you would feel a united fanbase is whats needed right now.

Silva plays good football but his defence is the worry.

Emery would unite the fanbase largely I still csnt believe he's not in the frame.

Still if its Silva we have to get behind him.

Erm, he left Estoril to join Sporting.
He left Greece for Hull
He left Hull for Watford
He left Watford after getting sacked for wanting to join us.

So just once has he not left a club to join another 1, from Sporting to Greece.

The man couldnt even spell the word loyalty.
Had the making of a great chant that, but it fell apart in the second stanza

I really liked what Silva did at Hull. Very nearly keeping up one of the worst squads in Premier League history was seriously impressive, as was the feat of guiding Hull to victory over Man Utd in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final. And as others have mentioned he did well to guide Sporting to their first major trophy in seven years.

However, for me it's his record at Olympiacos that's most impressive. Under his stewardship they won their first SEVENTEEN domestic matches of the 2015/16 season, eventually winning the Greek title (Superleague Greece) with ease. They also trounced Arsenal in the Champions League.

Cracking young manager.

I think the criticism of Silva is slightly distorted and simplistic.
The fact he is perceived as 'failed' at Hull is in reality a testimony to how well he had done with a team rooted at the bottom of the division and in disarray when he arrived to guide them to such apparent safety it was perceived as a shock when they went down. I believe all teams are prone to a bad run regardless of the coaches abilities, it was unfortunate that Hulls happened when it did and they didn't quite have the buffer to survive it.
He remains , outside of our bubble of dismal sceptism, a highly regarded young coach.
On the question of his loyalty ,it's with remembering we have appointed a proper DoF this time and he will be the one who will provide the continuity. That is why Arsenal are signing players before the coach has been appointed and possibly why we appear to have signed a LB , Fabra, with no reference to the then management team.
A coaches longevity is becoming less important it's his abilities we require not his affection, and I believe Silva is a very able coach.

The appointment of Silva won't be as dividing as allardyce. There was a huge split in the fanbase when he came in, there will always be some degree of split whoever we appoint, but with allardyce it was noticeable from the get go. Even the club weren't 100% over him, taking ages to appoint him and only giving him a short term contract. For me he was a necessary evil, despite what people say now, with hindsight, we were true relegation fodder when he came in in my eyes.

If Silva does come in there will inevitably be some fans who are displeased with his appointment but when you look at what he does, gets his teams to play football, that will dissipate if he can at least demonstrate the intention is there to get us playing football. I'm personally not overly keen on him, but he is a much better fit for everton going forward than allardyce ever will be. My fear is this next managerial appointment has to be the right one. We have to get it right, get a bit of stability back into the club on the pitch and give someone the time to build something or we risk becoming a club who is part of that managerial merry go round.

Last edited:
I have the feeling that Brands being from all accounts pretty decent at what he does is aware of Silva's failings as a manager (unable to defend) and his priority will be to bring in some good defenders and a really good defensive coach.

I mean, as Director of Football that's his job isn't it?

I can live with Silva all day long. It could have been Lardiola for another season.

I have the feeling that Brands being from all accounts pretty decent at what he does is aware of Silva's failings as a manager (unable to defend) and his priority will be to bring in some good defenders and a really good defensive coach.

I mean, as Director of Football that's his job isn't it?

I can live with Silva all day long. It could have been Lardiola for another season.
Am I pleased Allardyce has gone - yes. Who should replace him and we could reasonably appoint? The old school like Ancelotti or Pellegrini aren’t right. The likes of Simone or Emery probably consider us below them and would have better offers. Rafael has baggage that would split the fan base. What are we left with - a relatively young ambitious guy who really wants the job. That’s essentially Silva, Dyche or Howe and of those I think my first choice would be Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.