which striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeestillidie

Player Valuation: £35m
so apparently west ham are stepping up their bid for AJ by throwing in rio's lil bro, i hope davie moyes laughs at this offer as hard as i do. still, could selling one of our strikers, maybe even johnson be a good deal? remember last season, when people saw AJ's good form, they considered him and BT a striking partnership made in heaven, based on Bt's awesome performance 2 seasons ago. my point is that amazing strikers can dip in form. plus, we went from a striking shortage preseason to what seems to be too many strikers. The wonderkids Vaughan and Anichebe both logged several man of the match appearances, and as Anichebe showed off his speed against larissa, and vaughan is nearing a return, they will both definitely be striking options. Faddy has been downright heroic for scotland, and while his league play hasn't been exquisite, he did manage a salvaging goal against blackburn, and had narrowly saved strikes against manchester and reading that showed me he has some class in him if he can simply work on consistency. then there's our 15 million pound spend on yakubu, who for a person signed as a target man has fulfilled that role very little, but nonetheless, we did spend 15 pounds on him. also, lets not forget cahill, who scores so many goals he might as well be a striker. cahill's presence has meant the blues can play effectively with a single striker, meaning all of our strikers will be competing for 1 slot, obviously we need depth for our european competition but that many strikers competing for 1 position just won't work. so who should we let go? while johnson has been far from productive, i believe his presence is good enough to trouble defences and create open space. I've gotta look at this the arsenal way and say to keep our youngsters as well, both of them have shown immense talent for their age and will undoubtedly develop into headlining internationals and club heroes. despite his inconsistency, i think mcfadden is worth keeping for substitue appearances to revitalize us in the late stages of the games where we seem to be struggling. so that just leaves yak. we just bought him i know, but i think it may be time to cut our losses. we can probably get atleast 12 million for him, southgate got us to shell out 15 mil and he's obviously not the most shrewd businessman in the game. we'd be admitting that buying him wasn't the best long term move, but it's better than holding on to dead weight. i saw his goal today, but it wasn't anything amazing, it was more a goal where i would be mad if he hadn't scored, rather than one where i'm excited that he did score. also, no top teams are going to open up like that for a clear run, and any of our strikers would have scored there had they been in so i don't think its worth keeping him. so if west ham keep up their bid for AJ, maybe we should just throw Yak there way instead... and i'll be damned if anton ever puts on an everton shirt.

AJ is something of the forgotten man at the moment, with Vic playing well for us, McFadden banging them in for Scotland and Yak on the mark today. Of the two injured strikers it's generally Vaughan that gets mentioned more. We do have serious competition for places up front so hopefully that will spur whoever is in the side onto scoring goals. Survival of the fittest.

I can't see us accepting any January offers for any of them, but if all are fit it does pose a problem in getting everyone a game, specially if we play 4-5-1 frequently with Cahill back.

Nice problem to have, though.

strikers

When AJ and Vaughan are available I believe we will have enough to draw on assuming the can get the goals between them in some way.Anichebe is still learning and I believe that soon he will be a regular and the goals will come or be set up for one of the other three.The key to this is the midfield where we do need that one more speedy tackler.Pienaar has looked good recently and deserves a run and Osman showed good form again against a poor Larissa side. If these two can get consistant then coupled with the return of Timmie and the ever classy Arteta we may just have an attacking midfield capable of cracking in the goals.However realistically, it won't happen as places for either Neviile,Carsely or Graveson will have to be considered as the holding player.Fitness of all these players is the real key.I agree with others that Faddy is only worth a sub.spot.

Keep them all!!!!

If anything we should get rid of McFadden, All too familiar story wiv Fads but let`s face it has never reallt hit the heights expected. We could use the money for a quality central midfielder in the Roy Keane, Patrick Viera mould and that would allow us to go 4-4-2 without looking too lightweight in midfield.

I think we always look so negative in the 4-5-1 system that he keeps going back to. All the top sides have proven that the 4-4-2 is the way to with the exception of chelsea.

Everton using Chelsea formation :-

Howard

Jagielka/ Yobo/ Lescott Baines/
Hibbert Stubbs Valente

Carsley/Neville

Cahill/ Arteta/
Osman Gravesen
Yakubu/VDM Johnson/Vaughan

Anichebe

Though Diop could have done a job for us but DM didn`t fancy him did he!!!!

Four competing for two places could work!!!!!!!!

Id say sell mcfadden in january to celtic or rangers - which ever bid highest. At the moment we could get alot of money from teh scottish clubs - around 6-9 million id say. We dont use him, so why not sell him?

Then the otehr 4 striekrs, play johnson and yakubu in the premiership - with slight rotations with vaughan and anichebe.

Play vaughan and anichebe in the FA and/or Carling cup matches.

Mix and match the striekrs in the Uefa Cup matches.

Why the rush to sell any of them,most teams now appear to have at least four top strikers so Victor ,jamie,AJ and Yak are our four but I would keep Faddy as well unless a silly offer came in because I am not sure of the YaK I know he scored against Derby and helped create the other goal but I'm no convinced yet.But I think WE should break the bank to find a younger version of Carsley if we must sell how about Hibbert and Neville both great guys but neither impress me although until we can get a right sided clone of Baines I think Nev edges Hibbo for the spot have not seen enough of Jags at full back to be able to judge him yet .;)

Neither Vaghan or Anichebe will be gaurnteed first teamers for another season maybe two at the most, both as any young player does need to be dipped in and out of the team depending on form as they get experience and learn how to perform consitently. As such i wouldnt get rid of any of our dstrikers for another couple of seasons. The thing that always worried me about AJ is that hes very reliant on pace in his game and the subsequent workload this allows him to get through. This will obviously wain in the next two - four years and as such he could be the one to be put up for sale, i think Moyes will be canny and do the deal at the right time!

Id say sell mcfadden in january to celtic or rangers - which ever bid highest. At the moment we could get alot of money from teh scottish clubs - around 6-9 million id say. We dont use him, so why not sell him?

Then the otehr 4 striekrs, play johnson and yakubu in the premiership - with slight rotations with vaughan and anichebe.

Not a bad idea at all, not bad at all!

Like it Dom, decent suggestion lad.

Do you go to Woolies sweet counter as welllol lol ;)

Forum etiquette. Now quick disclaimer. Not having a go. But could we try and have a post broken up so its easy for others to read. I found that post hard to read and may have missed some points.

To answer the question, we pick the striker that is most suited to unlocking the opposition. If in doubt Yak has to be first choice because he's the most prolific one. Then AJ, then Vaughan/Anichebe and maybe Faddy if he can take his chances when they are given to him.

Forum etiquette. Now quick disclaimer. Not having a go. But could we try and have a post broken up so its easy for others to read. I found that post hard to read and may have missed some points.

To answer the question, we pick the striker that is most suited to unlocking the opposition. If in doubt Yak has to be first choice because he's the most prolific one. Then AJ, then Vaughan/Anichebe and maybe Faddy if he can take his chances when they are given to him.

You never mentioned Lescott! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.