Where and when did it all start going awry for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean that obviously wasnt good for us, but all tbe other teams who were good in the Late 80s have recovered

Why haven't we?

I agree, the RS got a pitiful 6 year ban (should have been much more) and us and everyone else got 5 years and yet they recovered, we didn't.

As I said earlier though, overall I think it started going wrong for us back in the early 70's.

1987: Everton are champions. Colin Harvey is apointed new manager and buys Ian Wilson. At the same time Liverpool buy Aldridge, Beardsley, Barnes and Houghton. That's when it all started to go wrong. When the Premier league started only five years later, we were among the also rans, and haven't been a big club since.

Theres honestly a multitude of reasons,losing to the rs and the greeks,not appointing Clough/Robson,not getting Shilton,Heysel,Moores having enough,losing 2 games at the end of a season and ending up league and cup runners up,helping set up the PL then missing the train,Collina,the list could be more,but looking at Preston,Sunderland etc it could be a lot worse

Not replacing Catterick with Robson or Clough,, went for Bingham
Absolutely.
Ironically after being suitably ruthless in sacking Carey, Moores bottled it and went for the safe option of Bingham . It was a cowardly decision and betrayed everything he and Catterick had achieved in the previous decade.

Absolutely.
Ironically after being suitably ruthless in sacking Carey, Moores bottled it and went for the safe option of Bingham . It was a cowardly decision and betrayed everything he and Catterick had achieved in the previous decade.
Don't agree at all. How can you say that this is when things started to go wrong, when after all, we won the league twice, the FA cup and in Europe in the 80's? What happened in the summer of 87 is the single biggest reason for the state of the club for the last 30 years.

We've had plenty of bad luck in my time as a fan but we've also not helped ourselves with bad managerial appointments, a lot of bad signings, selling quality players, clowns in the boardroom a complete lack of ambition throughout the club, and that includes some fans.

I also didn't and never will agree with the decision to sell the world's best goalscorer for a relative pittance.

Things went wrong in the late 80s when we acquired players not as good as the players leaving, decline set in and we've simply not threatened to compete at the level we did in the mid-80s since.

Don't agree at all. How can you say that this is when things started to go wrong, when after all, we won the league twice, the FA cup and in Europe in the 80's? What happened in the summer of 87 is the single biggest reason for the state of the club for the last 30 years.
Kendall’s magnificent achievement’s were set against a background of dwindling resources.
We were no longer spending big and John Moores was in increasingly ill health.
By the time Peter Johnson assumed control our finances were in a disastrous condition and he lacked the resources to repair the damage done by years of mismanagement and no investment.
In contrast the 70’s began with a side that were Champions and were widely tipped to enjoy the type of domination that eventually fell to our neighbours, who had become one of the worlds elite clubs by 1980.
Had we appointed a top class manager following Cattericks sad demise instead of the second rate Bingham history may have been different.

Kendall’s magnificent achievement’s were set against a background of dwindling resources.
We were no longer spending big and John Moores was in increasingly ill health.
By the time Peter Johnson assumed control our finances were in a disastrous condition and he lacked the resources to repair the damage done by years of mismanagement and no investment.
In contrast the 70’s began with a side that were Champions and were widely tipped to enjoy the type of domination that eventually fell to our neighbours, who had become one of the worlds elite clubs by 1980.
Had we appointed a top class manager following Cattericks sad demise instead of the second rate Bingham history may have been different.
Peter Johnson didn't enter the club until 1994, so he has no blame for what happened in 1987. That year we we're probably one of the greatest teams in Europe, and the future looked bright. In hindsight, that was when we should have hired Clough or Robson. To your comment about lack of resources in the 80's. In 88, we paid a new british record for Tony Cottee, and also a lot of money for Nevin, McCall and McDonald. We have never really recovered from what happened the next 3-4 years, ulike the beginning of the 70s.

Peter Johnson didn't enter the club until 1994, so he has no blame for what happened in 1987. That year we we're probably one of the greatest teams in Europe, and the future looked bright. In hindsight, that was when we should have hired Clough or Robson. To your comment about lack of resources in the 80's. In 88, we paid a new british record for Tony Cottee, and also a lot of money for Nevin, McCall and McDonald. We have never really recovered from what happened the next 3-4 years, ulike the beginning of the 70s.
We will have to agree to disagree I feel.
I do not deny the damage done by the ban but for me the greater opportunity was fumbled in the early 70’s before we entered our 15 year trophy drought.
As for spending money on Cottee et al , this was a gamble since we were spending money we did not then have in order to maintain our position. In reality this is the point the club should have been put up for sale. Instead those in charge took too long to address the damage they were doing to a great institution. We lacked leadership.
Johnson admitted he did not realise the financial difficulties the club was in until after he purchased it.
His inability to correct it led to his departure.
Our demise has many contributory facts and several turning points, but I remain convinced had that 69/70 side been allowed to fulfil its potential, had Harry Catterick not fallen ill and had we appointed a more capable manager than Bingham to succeed him we could have at least shadowed Liverpool’s success domestically and in Europe and possibly even surpassed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.