Where and when did it all start going awry for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendall allegedly selling our top scorer to Barcelona with the view to meeting him at a bar in the Ramblas.

The appointment of Bingham a true footballing dullard which was then exacerbated by the appointment of his equally dull successor, Lee.
The Littlewoods money drying up finished us.
Kendall’s successes where even more impressive set against an increasingly financially struggling business model.

Winning the FA Cup in 1989 might have helped us enter the Premier league era with more optimisim and clout.

Not backing Joe Royle after he did and then finished 5yh by selling Kanchelskis and not signing Tore Andre Flo set us back. Becoming a legends graveyard under Walter Smith didn't help and then not backing Moyes for the Champios League campaign (having to re-sign Pitstone WTF?!).

Signing a top goalscorer under Moyes could have pushed some of our 5th /6th placed finishes to 4th and then with regular champions league income, who knows? Recently, I think we have suffered from signing players with a weak mentality. Hard to say why that is, but I guess with every passing year, the pressure on the players gets that little bit more. We need a team of 'no fear' players who can deal with our weight of expectation.

They certainly clocked off after the Leicester game, so maybe we wll sign a few gems with passion and desire to add to a 'rested' squad and who knows where Carlo can take us?

The appointment of Bingham a true footballing dullard which was then exacerbated by the appointment of his equally dull successor, Lee.
The Littlewoods money drying up finished us.
Kendall’s successes where even more impressive set against an increasingly financially struggling business model.
And a bigot to boot. That man incited hatred on one of the most fragile moments in “Norn Iron” history. I keep checking if he’s still living.

English clubs getting their long overdue ban from European competition had nowt to do with the club’s slide. UEFA were spineless in the 1970s when they only banned Leeds and Man U for rioting in their respective games in France. The whole English league and fanbase was rotten to the core (I witnessed it in the flesh in 1995 at Landsdowne road when English yobs flung seats down at my countrymen on the stand opposite me and got the game suspended). What black people had to endure from the English terraces then must have been frightening.

When the PL started Everton were one of the big six. The Arse won two titles during the long overdue ban, didn’t effect them, as they had top people running the club, something we didn’t have.

Poor leadership meant a series of crap managerial appointments, leading in turn to crap signings, poor league placings, falling further and further behind after each and every poor decision at the top. Just before the PL, Martin Edwards stuck with Fergie. Off the pitch he and his board ran Man U like a superstore, while others ran theirs like a corner shop. Man U pulled ahead as they got it right on and and off the field. The nail in the coffin was Peter Johnson, and then handing over the reigns to Kenwright.

At our 80s peak, we needed to strengthen not weaken.
Kendall s signings of Pointon, Langley, Aspinaall, Adams, were poor.
Other teams were buying Gascoigne, Beardsley, Barnes and Waddle , yet Kendall brought dross

September 3rd 1939. Usually contenders before the war. Since the war, 75 years, we've had the grand total of seven seasons when we've won a trophy. Some glorious moments but nothing sustained.

Prior to '39, in the top 3 15 times, despite losing 4 years competition 15 - 19. After the war, 8 times in the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.