When Did The Rot Set In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, Heysel

Second, Peter Johnson

Third, Chairman Bill
That's in it a nutshell. This has been a very prolonged drawn out almost 40 year demise for this once great football club, and it now looks it's reaching it's inevitable conclusion.

The loss of our long cherished almost 70 year status as a top flight football club. Whilst i am preparing myself mentally for this, i honestly don't know how i'll react when/if relegation is finally confirmed.

If the worst does indeed comes to the worst, then i think we could see some seriously angry scenes at the Bournemouth game. The stewards will have earned their wages that day imo.

The people who tried to speak out against the individual/individuals who destroyed our club, were branded by their supporters as self entitled kopites. If Kenwright hasn't got the decency to leave at the end of the season, then he needs to be driven out and he can take his crooked/incompetent Iranian partner in bromance with him.

When the club meekly accepted the European ban in 1985 for a crime that had absolutely nothing to do with us whatsoever.

Could you imagine Manchester City accepting a ban from next season's Champions League for something that did not involve them? There would be court cases left, right, and centre.

Instead, Carter and Co caved in and abandoned their duty to protect the club's interests.

Yeah, we won another league 2 years later, but the seeds were planted: not so much of decline, but of a culture that deferred to others, accepted "our lot", and, most importantly, "knew our place."
This 100%. That tory **** carter had to protect his knighthood which he got for not causing any problems.

27th Feb 2016, the day we sold our souls to a 'billionaire accountant' who will turn out to be nothing more than a front for Usmanovs ill-gotten fortune.
Accountants can make good money, but to make billions you need to be in bed with the devil and unfortunately for us Farhad wouldn't know the difference between Everton and Ebbsfleet before he landed at our door.
We were desperate for a chance to be meaningful again so let it go, even when Usmanov showed his face we laughed off any wrongdoings as a billionaire accountant would make sure 'Uncle Uzzy's' input was legit.
As it turns out we've been used.
Like a girl at high school you knows far too good looking to look near you, but she's wanting to get back at her Ex (Arsenal) so you let yourself believe she loves you and wants whats best.
It's not our fault as such, we fill Goodison every game and have done when we were rubbish long before they showed up at our door, we were/are desperate to succeed, but we went about it in the wrong way and it's coming back to eat us up.
Part of me looks at the situation just now, and the doom and depression that's going through a lot of our heads all day everyday, and thinks we 'might' be happier in the old 2nd division being relevant and winning more than we lose. The other part of me thinks we die if we stay down there more than one season.
But watching us struggle to sign journeymen on paydays they never would get anywhere else season after season, what I would give for a team of young hungry footballers wanting to succeed at Everton, and a manager that tries to instil a football team to play football rather than scrap for points and play percentages, the part of me that thinks we would be happier resetting in the league below is getting louder by the day.
And I love Goodison, always have done, always will do, don't need a shiny new stadium to be Everton FC, I just hope it's all worth it in the end.
I couldn’t have put it better mate.

When we started doing that ridiculous rolling count of top flight games before matches a few years ago.

This team above any other should know never to tempt fate.

Moshiri ignoring Marcel Brands recommendation not to sack Marco Silva was another turning point.

Whether Silva would've eventually turned things around i don't know, but Brands position and authority was seriously undermined there.

Why buy a dog when you're going to do the barking yourself? If Brands wanted Silva to stay on as manager, then that's exactly what should've happened imo.

….it was a mad house before but I’m convinced the Benitez appointment turned the club rotten.

I’m actually of a view that Marcel Brands departure, much lauded on here was a key factor in sinking the ship. Brands role in the acquisition of players is open to criticism but I’m convinced he was a thoroughly decent man with the skill of a diplomat to keep the disparate parts of the club together. Popular with players and factions on the Board, he worked WITH various Managers until Benitez refused to even talk with him.

Benitez turned the madhouse into a sinking ship, I believe we’d be ok if he’d not been appointed.
It started well before that mate….that was an obvious entry into the log, but there were subtle deteriorative changes over Around 15-20 years. I know he has been vilified, but I genuinely don’t see how any one could argue against the view that the trigger for our slide was Bill Kenwright becoming the owner. Prior to that, yes we had Johnson and before him, the ban after Heysel, but we were still consider a big club - a sleeping giant who at that point had won the afA cup and about eight years earlier had won their last title. Kenwright has systemically destroyed the balance sheet and all hope at club. It’s no coincidence that he finally agrees to investment at the time Green was in the spotlight through the collapse of pension funds and BK in 2015 is diagnosed with his chronic illness. The key date that triggered Evertons speedy decline was 26/12/1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.