What's the plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
? No idea.

My imprint of Koeman, is of him playing golf in Portugal, while the end of the transfer window, went down the drain.

It's almost worse than my imprint of Martinez.

my guess would be, that we defence deep, and use DCL for contra atacks, like Leicester did with Vardy. How ever i don't know how much speed DCL has, or Davies for that matter.

Nice article. :)

I completely agree but we have played City and Chelsea plus Stoke so I'd assume we'll close in on the other bog average sides.

However I keep saying (to the point of annoying everyone) we didn't create great chances last season, we just had a top quality striker who played every game. Our best open play creator was Barkley, and he by far outperformed the players we've bought in to replace him in the creative role.

So basically a not very creative team have lost their best creator and their best (only?) finisher of chances.

And when I was whinging on about signing the wrong players all summer it was because it was obvious.

We could have Iheanacho (who signed for Leicester for £25m) and someone like Balde (who joined Monaco for £30m) for the price we paid for Sigurdsson and we'd be FAR more potent a reckoning.

Agreed, it's the most blatant issue staring us in the face. The funny thing is that if you look at expected assists numbers, two players stand out as being under-appreciated - Bolasie (PL 16/17) and Deulofeu (PL 15/16, AND Serie A 16/17 - very consistent). We had both, lost both, and didn't replace them. In the case of the latter we even purposely froze him out.

To be fair Balde turned down us and Tottenham I believe because he wanted someone bigger (Juve, or Monaco it turns out).

Not buying Iheanacho is even more hilarious in retrospect looking at our striker situation, buyback clause or not.

...but there were signs and I found that encouraging following the pre-season and Stoke game. Key is also bringing tempo to our game, we have acquired good footballers but that doesn't always equate to a good team. Finding the blend is key but my fear is being creative with a threat away from home, especially against the better teams.

The other factor is the return of Coleman and Bolasie.

Who are both probably 20+ games away for fitness, maybe more. In Bolasie's case, there is not really as like-for-like replacement in the squad who can do whatever it is Koeman wants Bolasie to do. Bolasie is a far better / earlier crosser of the ball and is far taller than Lookman (so potentially a winner of headers as an out ball). Mirallas is much more predictable and controlled than Bolasie, scores more goals (I think) but has entirely lost his pace and apparently his will to play for Everton. Davies could be a willing runner but is not a Bolasie-type maverick in a million years. I was by no means an advocate of his signing but Demari Gray would potentially have done a similar thing to Bolasie.

The thing is, if you look at all the six teams above us, they have a definable style of play that they play to - with strengths and weaknesses, but you can still see what is being intended. If you look at West Brom, they have a style of play too, albeit implemented by less talented footballers than those in the top 7 so with a much lower ceiling. Bournemouth do too - it has huge flaws and has weaker players trying to implement it, but you can still see the general intention.

Currently, and for the first time in a very very long time, this Everton side is not greater than the sum of its parts. The old sides were held back by their Nevilles, their Kilbanes (willing, but lower quality), their Snivelleys, even arguably their Carsleys and their Johnsons (stop giggling) - this squad has much more talented players but no real plan on how to use them.

I completely agree but we have played City and Chelsea plus Stoke so I'd assume we'll close in on the other bog average sides.

However I keep saying (to the point of annoying everyone) we didn't create great chances last season, we just had a top quality striker who played every game. Our best open play creator was Barkley, and he by far outperformed the players we've bought in to replace him in the creative role.

So basically a not very creative team have lost their best creator and their best (only?) finisher of chances.

And when I was whinging on about signing the wrong players all summer it was because it was obvious.

We could have Iheanacho (who signed for Leicester for £25m) and someone like Balde (who joined Monaco for £30m) for the price we paid for Sigurdsson and we'd be FAR more potent a reckoning.

To be fair mein frandel this is exactly what myself and @hetion are arguing.

The plan...get through the group stages, bag a striker and centre half in January, win the Europa, then move on towards global domination.

Oh and offload the rest of the dross Martinez brought to the club also. COYB!!!

To be fair Balde turned down us and Tottenham I believe because he wanted someone bigger (Juve, or Monaco it turns out).

Not buying Iheanacho is even more hilarious in retrospect looking at our striker situation, buyback clause or not.

Yeah I was less sure we'd get him, maybe we could have got either Ismali Sarr (who went to Rennes for £18m) or Yann Kamaroh (who went to Inter for £7m+). Point is there were available players we could have attracted, who fit what is Koeman's normal style. Instead we've ended up with 3 players for the same position, none of whom really fit in with any system.

Not sure where blame lies it just seems the type of mess the likes of Villa/Sunderland made when they were "rich".

We went from having the best analytics set up in the league under Moyes, with the best recruitment (in terms of £ per point) around to buying players on gut under Martinez to, I don't know what, under Walsh.

The plan...get through the group stages, bag a striker and centre half in January, win the Europa, then move on towards global domination.

Oh and offload the rest of the dross Martinez brought to the club also. COYB!!!

But you see, the thing is mein frandel

Pickford
Keane
Williams
Jagielka (Lennon)
Holgate
Davies (Besic)
Gueye
Baines
Rooney
Sigurdsson
Ramírez (DCL)

Not a lot of Martinez buys in that starting eleven. The best two Martinez buys (Barry and Lukaku) have been sold over the summer. Koeman had much of his better periods last season playing the exact same formation as Martinez.

By January, we'll have played most if not all of the group games, league cup games, and what, 19 league games? Bit late for banking on that by then.

Agreed, it's the most blatant issue staring us in the face. The funny thing is that if you look at expected assists numbers, two players stand out as being under-appreciated - Bolasie (PL 16/17) and Deulofeu (PL 15/16, AND Serie A 16/17 - very consistent). We had both, lost both, and didn't replace them. In the case of the latter we even purposely froze him out.

Just to expand on the bit about Deulofeu and Bolasie.

Expected Assists (or xA) takes into account passes that a player makes, and how often in the ENTIRE league history since stats were recorded that pass would end up in an assist (so it tracks where the passes came from, and where they ended up). Each pass is assigned a number from 0 to 1 (i.e, that pass has never resulted in an assist, and that pass has always resulted in an assist - so a pass with an xA of 0.5 has, half the time it's been made in the PL, resulted in an assist). It's a more advanced 'key passes' stat which essentially grades the quality of a player's attacking passing while stripping it from being affected by things like the receiver's shooting ability.

Anyway.

Here's the top 10 players in xA per 90 mins who played more than 600 mins in the PL in 15/16:

upload_2017-9-3_12-55-8.png

Note Deulofeu, and note also the company he's keeping there.

Here he is playing for Milan last season (same deal, only players who played more than 600 mins):

upload_2017-9-3_12-56-33.png

Again, look at the company he's keeping there. These players aren't cherry-picked, they're just who the stats are throwing up. I don't care if he's only good for 60 minutes (although I have major issues with that statement anyway) - if you have that player in a team lacking creativity, you play him. Hell, you probably play him anyway even if you aren't. Especially if he's clearly bucked his ideas up and has started working hard and tracking back.

Here's last season - note Bolasie:

upload_2017-9-3_13-2-12.png

He was playing really, really well before he got injured. Whether that was due to Koeman using him in a certain way or just being on a hot streak, I don't know - he's never shown up anywhere near that high in previous seasons.

Basically, we had two players on our books with the possibility of genuinely creating goals for us. We lost both - once on purpose - and didn't replace either. Oh, and they were both fast too, something else we haven't replaced.

@orly @Timak blah blah

Status
Not open for further replies.