What's the overall plan - manager and squad?

How long do we give the next guy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a possible Simeone type or a Moyes Plus option would fail under option 3.....and might still need patience to get things going though. That could include an 11th place finish to start off. Do we sack then?

Very fair question. I stated that as a minimum a manager should finish top 10, to contradict myself perhaps a better measure of success would be the overall points total we achieve. For instance Leicester secured a title with 81 points.. city got 100 last year. You can have a poorish team finishing 7th last stills year miles away points wise from the top 6 a la Burnley. 7th looks great on paper, but they only got it because the rest of the league was garbage.

Perhaps rather than looking solely at the table I would stick with a manager who actually manages to break 60 points. I don’t think that’s such a big ask from our club, I really don’t. I’m giving us room there to lose all our games against the top 6. Burnley finished last season with a win-draw-loss ratio of 14-12-12 on 54 points. Are we really saying it’s acceptable for an Everton manager to not be winning more games than he loses? To be achieving less than 50 points a season? Whilst it went terrible for him in the end, Koeman’s first season was a completely acceptable record for what could be described as a “transitional” season.

For me patience comes when you see signs of tangible progress whilst accepting that there are still issues within the team. Mostly this season I see more issues than progress which is why I’m hesitant to say I back him to carry on next year. The huge caveat which cannot he ignores of course is this terrible transfers made by Walsh and Koeman- a mess left that any new manager would struggle with.

But what it comes down to right now is do I believe that silva will make us better next year? I simply don’t think there’s enough evidence to say he will. In which case do we back him with much needed investment in the summer when he might be sacked by Christmas? Well thats where the DOF comes in. Continuity and quality is his remit- it’s his job to provide it no matter who the manager is.

I see the shouts “get a proven manager” “get a manager that has trophies on his cv”.
That’s all well and good but just take a look at West Ham, appoints ‘proven manager with a trophie track record’, they then spend 150 million and they are literally the same as us with a better goal keeper and better striker options.

Getting a proven manager isn’t a given for success.

Very fair question. I stated that as a minimum a manager should finish top 10, to contradict myself perhaps a better measure of success would be the overall points total we achieve. For instance Leicester secured a title with 81 points.. city got 100 last year. You can have a poorish team finishing 7th last stills year miles away points wise from the top 6 a la Burnley. 7th looks great on paper, but they only got it because the rest of the league was garbage.

Perhaps rather than looking solely at the table I would stick with a manager who actually manages to break 60 points. I don’t think that’s such a big ask from our club, I really don’t. I’m giving us room there to lose all our games against the top 6. Burnley finished last season with a win-draw-loss ratio of 14-12-12 on 54 points. Are we really saying it’s acceptable for an Everton manager to not be winning more games than he loses? To be achieving less than 50 points a season? Whilst it went terrible for him in the end, Koeman’s first season was a completely acceptable record for what could be described as a “transitional” season.

For me patience comes when you see signs of tangible progress whilst accepting that there are still issues within the team. Mostly this season I see more issues than progress which is why I’m hesitant to say I back him to carry on next year. The huge caveat which cannot he ignores of course is this terrible transfers made by Walsh and Koeman- a mess left that any new manager would struggle with.

But what it comes down to right now is do I believe that silva will make us better next year? I simply don’t think there’s enough evidence to say he will. In which case do we back him with much needed investment in the summer when he might be sacked by Christmas? Well thats where the DOF comes in. Continuity and quality is his remit- it’s his job to provide it no matter who the manager is.

so would you sack our new Simeone type if he finished on 55pts? ha

i get ya. i too just wanted to have enough at the end of the season to believe he can push us on further in the next....and its a struggle to be behind him.

a very positive thing is what youve just mentioned.....we shouldnt have to worry about giving a bad manager money to spend or a new manager having to rip it up and start again.....as the squad plan should be in place regardless with any manager working within a remit thats already in place.

This thread is a season to late. What is the plan, or what should the plan be are two different questions. For me, what is the plan = build a ground and stay in the top flight and nothing more, this is where we are, not having it the club have top 6 ambitions right now

im more asking what is your plan....or what should we do? to whoever

and your plan well thatd be option 2 from the manager buckets then really. keep it steady until we get in the stadium. but fans would have to accept 7th-10th as the norm and that much more than that would be unlikely. IMO

i think if that is the clubs plan....and no more...we would see Moyes back in the summer.

I don't care about the managers first season finish although we should easily be in the top half regardless but all I wanted was to see signs of improvement a team who are together and will fight tooth and nail for a result and I don't see it. I think we've gone backwards under Silva, I've seen no signs of progress or anything, This cancerous formation that has plagued the club for years just keeps sticking to us. We're so predictable even at 2-0 up everyone was biting nails that for me shows how far it's fell under Silva, I do recognize positives he's had I thought we absolutely dominated Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal away and were really unlucky not to get results due to poor finishing from our players I hate being a sacking club but Silva isn't the man forward I look at him and I just think this guy wouldn't motivate anyone nevermind a football team.
I don't think he'll be sacked but I wouldn't be surprised if we're in a scrap next season.

In terms of the OP post, I don't think you can treat how long you give managers in such a considered way at this point.

At the moment the club is a mess. Mainly due to the lack of clarity in the recruitment process, of players and managers, over the last 2-3 years. It leaves a squad that requires significant overhaul, without significant funds available.

That reason in itself means getting a top manager in (like a Conte or Mourinho) is a pipe dream currently.

How long do we give Silva? That will be different for different people. Personally I would give him longer. At least another window to get in the players he and Brands want. To shape that squad, bit by bit, more to their liking.

Does his performance this season deserve another season? Possibly not. Some would say probably not. However, changing manager every season has hardly provided huge success. In fact it's made things worse. I would give Silva and Brands another season and hopefully see more progress in a 2nd season.

Even if Silva ultimately ends up unsuccessful and leaving the club, the next managerial appointment will be key. It needs to be someone with a similar philosophy of football. Or at least someone who can utilise the skillset of the players that Brands is acquiring to implement their style and brand of football. Flip flopping from Martinez to Koeman to Allardyce to Silva has been a monumental mistake which has put the club back years. The next manager has to be someone with a similar footballing philosophy to Brands. Another reason why the likes of Mourinho and Conte would be a no from me.

The absolute truest thing I’ve read on here today.

If you look at how we’ve been run recently we derserve a manger of Silva’s calibre. We deserve a bottom half finish.

Honestly we are lucky to not be Aston Villa right now.
That's coming next season..

When we've lost tripe like Fulham and hudd and they are replaced with better teams

Social Media has made our fanbase daft.

We dont need polls or stats to prove or debate if a manager is good enough.

End of the day it didn't take a poll to work out Walker or Smith were not good enough to take us forward likewise it doesnt take a genius to work out Moyes done a good job on a limited budget.

Silva has shown nothing to suggest he can take us forward- neither at us or in his previous 2 jobs in England.

Every manager you can look back in a season and pick a memorable performance even under the previous two failures:

Martinez:

2nd season 4-1 Wolfsburg
3rd season: Everton 2-0 Chelsea

Koeman:

Everton 4-0 Man City

We have had not one good memory of Silva in near a full season. How poor is that considering we are also 11th in the table and he's spent almost £90 million?

The blokes not good enough and our fans will know when we find a bloke who is.

Sadly that requires a proper recruitment policy and not Moshiri picking whoever is flavour of the month in the 7-10 bracket in the PL

Last edited:
Social Media has made our fanbase daft.

We dont need polls or stats to prove or debate if a manager is good enough.

End of the day it didn't take a poll to work out Walker or Smith were not good enough to take us forward likewise it doesnt take a genius to work out Moyes done a good job on a limited budget.

Silva has shown nothing to suggest he can take us forward- neither at us or in his previous 2 jobs in England.

Every manager you can look back in a season and pick a memorable performance even under the previous two failures:

Martinez:

2nd season 4-1 Wolfsburg
3rd season: Everton 2-0 Chelsea

Koeman:

Everton 4-0 Man City

We have had not one good memory of Silva in near a full season. How poor is that considering we are also 11th in the table and he's spent almost £90 million?

The blokes not good enough and our fans will know when we find a bloke who is.

Sadly that requires a proper recruitment policy and not Moshiri picking whoever is flavour of the month in the 7-10 bracket in the PL

not overly relevant to the questions being asked or the points being put to everybody.

we know all this from you already as you spam every thread with it. what does it add here?

id be interested to hear your detailed thoughts on what next.

Status
Not open for further replies.