What should the new stadium look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure we would even need a retractable roof. Per this article on the new Vikings stadium, "Clear is the new retractable". http://fortune.com/2016/08/27/nfl-minnesota-vikings-stadium/

“Clear Is the New Retractable’

The Dallas-based architectural firm HKS Sports and Entertainment eschewed the retractable roofs used on some recent NFL fields. HKS found these roofs are opened on average just four to five times a year and cost some $75 million more to construct than a fixed roof.

Instead, HKS capped the stadium in a clear space-age plastic called ETFE (ethylene-tetra-fluoro-ethylene) to open up the field to natural light and the elements while keeping fans cozy.

“Clear is the new retractable,” quips Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf in an interview. “I love the fact that you’re inside in a temperature controlled environment but feel the elements. You feel like you’re outdoors, you see the sky and the city and the weather.”

U.S. Bank Stadium marks the North American debut of ETFE, which was notably used at the Beijing Olympics Water Cube facility.

“The ETFE roof is the most unique feature, it’s probably the differentiator besides the iconic, super single frame,” says John Hutchings, who helped design the structure as principal in charge of the stadium HKS.

Hutchings says the ETFE allows sunlight to come through 60% of the total roof surface although it is filtered by small dots in the material known as fritting. He notes the material allows some heat to pass through and melt snow.

The roof has gutters to collect snow for a 100-year storm and Hutchings chuckles while saying he had “several lively discussions” with team ownership that it won’t collapse like the Metrodome’s fabric roof famously did after some large snowfalls.

vikings_bowl-copy.jpg

There's clearly no point in a retractable roof for American football in Minnesota, but you wouldn't do the same for baseball and I don't think you'd do the same for football. These are very different products, and I don't think this technology necessarily translates to other sports/outdoor venues.

*But I do think the stadium will feature as much natural light as possible, and change from older designs

There's clearly no point in a retractable roof for American football in Minnesota, but you wouldn't do the same for baseball and I don't think you'd do the same for football. These are very different products, and I don't think this technology necessarily translates to other sports/outdoor venues.

Yeah but we don't have an extra $75 million for a retractable roof. So I think that's a non-starter tbh.

I didn't mean just copy the Albert Dock and put a pitch on the inside. More a marriage of old style architecture with a nod to the surroundings and new state of the art design. I suppose something like the Lucas Oil Stadium but with some of the exterior showing some aspects of the dock buildings (same bricks, some features etc). Other parts of the stadium will have glass walls, elevated walkways etc.

It has been mentioned that it won't be like any other stadium in the UK so we will have to wait and see.
Agree we should have a blend of old and new....

Who knows what we have money for. If the choices are permanent roof/dome, no roof, and retractable roof, the permanent roof doesn't even make the sketch pad for me.

Agreed. But think of the overhangs we have now. You could make those clear. I'd rather see that than your bog standard concrete overhangs.

Agreed. But think of the overhangs we have now. You could make those clear. I'd rather see that than your bog standard concrete overhangs.

Yeah, that would be great and a huge improvement. I like the idea and we can even make the roof (if we have one that retracts) out of similar material. Would be double-boss if we could find a material that is both clear and can be lit up on demand.

..I have to admit to not being overly bothered on the architecture. If the club are going to all this trouble and expense I trust the build will be something we will all be proud of. I'll just be happy when the work starts and the build begins to rise.

Im not that bothered myself, I will fall in love and call it home soon as i see it. Meis isnt going to pile us off with something that looking like Baseball Ground, reputation is very important to these guys.

I am also a fan of Bordeaux.

As for UNESCO status it has been under threat since the very inception of Liverpool Waters. A stadium, if done well, may be less damaging to the status than the forest of unimaginative kit skyscrapers that are currently planned or proposed.

Red Echo talking about the stadium being a danger to the World Heritage Site. ?

Imagine having a plaque on the wall that interferes in developments that cost half a Billion. WHS is meant to protect heritage, not scupper future developments, we're not a museum. Liverpool needs jobs, not certificates. The red echo are just being their usual biased selves, the club will work with the heritage lobby to get their way.

Looking at the proposed Liverpool Waters images, all the buildings are modern glass and steel structures (Bordeaux) so I think it will be of a similar design to fit in not brick (Lucas Oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.