What should the new stadium look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
92201-lucas-oil-stadium-9a426.jpg

Won't look anything like this, but as far as design elements go, I think this (and Camden Yards) is the right idea. A good mix of modern and historic. It needs to give nods both to the Leitch designs and to the architecture of Liverpool (as well as the nautical theme you mentioned). But it will certainly have a touch of modernity as well. It should also give good visuals to the outside. The City needs to be able to see the new stadium, and the new stadium needs to be able to glimpse the City, and the water, as well.

Something like Bordeaux's new stadium except with the Leitch crosses on the outside instead of the tall thin poles.

ie a rectangle.

Also all the corporate hospitality along the sides of the pitch.

photo-octobre-2014.jpg

Euro-2016-Stadiums.jpg

Too white for me, but I bet that's breathtaking to behold up close. Very nice for a French stadium.

I'm taking my inspiration from other sporting venues outside of football. I'm a massive F1 fan & nothing on the race calendar beats the Yas Marinas Circuit in Abu Dhabi. Look great at day time too.View attachment 35610

You're a massive F1 fan yet think 'nothing on the race calendar beats Yas Marina'?!

Never heard such madness. It's an awful track and producing terrible racing, in a completely artificial backwater area of Abu Dhabi.

Love the OP and if there was one stadium I could have that would be it. A roof would be fantastic.

This is another favourite of mine:

1.jpg

venue_warsaw.jpg

warsaw.jpg

I'm not sure we would even need a retractable roof. Per this article on the new Vikings stadium, "Clear is the new retractable". http://fortune.com/2016/08/27/nfl-minnesota-vikings-stadium/

“Clear Is the New Retractable’

The Dallas-based architectural firm HKS Sports and Entertainment eschewed the retractable roofs used on some recent NFL fields. HKS found these roofs are opened on average just four to five times a year and cost some $75 million more to construct than a fixed roof.

Instead, HKS capped the stadium in a clear space-age plastic called ETFE (ethylene-tetra-fluoro-ethylene) to open up the field to natural light and the elements while keeping fans cozy.

“Clear is the new retractable,” quips Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf in an interview. “I love the fact that you’re inside in a temperature controlled environment but feel the elements. You feel like you’re outdoors, you see the sky and the city and the weather.”

U.S. Bank Stadium marks the North American debut of ETFE, which was notably used at the Beijing Olympics Water Cube facility.

“The ETFE roof is the most unique feature, it’s probably the differentiator besides the iconic, super single frame,” says John Hutchings, who helped design the structure as principal in charge of the stadium HKS.

Hutchings says the ETFE allows sunlight to come through 60% of the total roof surface although it is filtered by small dots in the material known as fritting. He notes the material allows some heat to pass through and melt snow.

The roof has gutters to collect snow for a 100-year storm and Hutchings chuckles while saying he had “several lively discussions” with team ownership that it won’t collapse like the Metrodome’s fabric roof famously did after some large snowfalls.

vikings_bowl-copy.jpg

Now we're not going to have a stadium of that size ^^^^^, nor will we get it for 300 million, but just looking for potential design elements to could be incorporated.

Wonder if this post by the lad has any meaning, maybe design it to look like an old Railway Station.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2017-03-27 kl. 19.45.04.png
    Skærmbillede 2017-03-27 kl. 19.45.04.png
    297.3 KB · Views: 149
Wonder if this post by the lad has any meaning, maybe design it to look like an old Railway Station.

Well maybe it means I'm not so far off with my thoughts on the way the Vikings stadium incorporates natural light while still providing protection from the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.