What if....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago I took up a challenge on another site; the challenge was this: "With a point of divergence no earlier than 1970, make Everton the dominant force in British football".

Sad nerd that I am, I wrote a whole history of Everton from 1970, the main points of divergence being us beating Panathinaikos in the European Cup quarter final and subsequently reaching the EC Final (though losing to Ajax) and then beating the RS in the FA Cup semi final three days later. Harry Catterick's illness made him resign after we won the Cup that year, then we appointed Clough as manager.

It turned out really well, we won the league countless times and European trophies aots. If anyone wants to read the entire timeline I can get it for you.

[video=youtube;kkCjkm_nCJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkCjkm_nCJc[/video]

You know the whole us being champions while the wars were going on…
Shouldn't we retain every league title during that time as no team could technically take it off us?
Plus it's not our fault a war was going off!!

So hang on, we've been champions for 18 years? Same as the sh*te. We could actually out kopite the kopites here with that on a banner or a poorly judged internet campaign.

To the bellmobile!

All of the above - Bremner joins us in the early 60s in a midfield of Bremner, Kay and Collins, Dalglish joins the multiple champions in 1969 and partners Royle (and later Latchford) up front, Catterick retires a legend (lauded all over the world for his great skill and wit in plays, books and song!), Cloughie takes up the mantle for another 5 years (2 titles, 1977 FA Cup win after a dubiously disallowed 89th minute winner by Jimmy Case is scrubbed out before Everton go on to win the replay 3-0, Paisley resigns at Anfield) before Clough has a falling out and joins Forest but Bobby Robson works the oracle for another 7 years before taking England (lead by half a dozen Everton players to the 1986 World Cup triumph, after Maradona is (Rattined) sent off in the Quarter Finals - where England win on penalties after extra-time) - Kendall steps in after a successful spell in Spain to take us to further English and European glory.

Meanwhile Tranmere join us in the new Premier League to ensure there is, once again, a Derby league match after 10 years without one (since Gordon Lee got them relegated) although the two teams did meet at Villa Park in the '89 Semi where a Lineker hat trick sees off The RS - meanwhile Forest comfortably beat Norwich at Hillsborough before Clough gets a little bit of revenge in a thrilling final . Further success follows under Joe Royle and some great foreign managers take us even further. The Kings Dock Stadium (60,000 capacity) is filled to the rafters (expanded to 75,000, and we refuse to share with the RS). Meanwhile Villarreal beat some other team to qualify for the Champions League but lose their semi to eventual winners Everton.

I particularly like the bit where Manchester City remain in the 3rd tier and don't attract massive investment (but they do get to play The RS twice a season) - meanwhile Stockport County get to use the Games Stadium in a ground share with Oldham.

Sounds a bit like playing FIFA really!

Last edited:

So hang on, we've been champions for 18 years? Same as the sh*te. We could actually out kopite the kopites here with that on a banner or a poorly judged internet campaign.

To the bellmobile!

WE RETAINED IT EIGHTEEN TIMES, WE RETAINED IT EIGHTEEN TIMES.

Love to hear that ringing around on a European night

Again we technically have retained it that many! If the world had ended during WW2 we would have been the last champions.
Retaining the league for infinity!

Hahaha.

Again we technically have retained it that many! If the world had ended during WW2 we would have been the last champions.
Retaining the league for infinity!

I wish the nazis would have won now. FC Borussia Everton would have been the titz.

I rather prefer to give all of that up for the freedoms we won in 1945 - though I can, of course, see the merit in abolishing all teams that played in red.

Is it really any sort of freedom when you can't win the title without cash? IS IT REALLY FREEDOM?

A couple of years ago I took up a challenge on another site; the challenge was this: "With a point of divergence no earlier than 1970, make Everton the dominant force in British football".

Sad nerd that I am, I wrote a whole history of Everton from 1970, the main points of divergence being us beating Panathinaikos in the European Cup quarter final and subsequently reaching the EC Final (though losing to Ajax) and then beating the RS in the FA Cup semi final three days later. Harry Catterick's illness made him resign after we won the Cup that year, then we appointed Clough as manager.

It turned out really well, we won the league countless times and European trophies aots. If anyone wants to read the entire timeline I can get it for you.

Send it to me, I love a bit of Harry Turtledove

All of the above - Bremner joins us in the early 60s in a midfield of Bremner, Kay and Collins, Dalglish joins the multiple champions in 1969 and partners Royle (and later Latchford) up front, Catterick retires a legend (lauded all over the world for his great skill and wit in plays, books and song!), Cloughie takes up the mantle for another 5 years (2 titles, 1977 FA Cup win after a dubiously disallowed 89th minute winner by Jimmy Case is scrubbed out before Everton go on to win the replay 3-0, Paisley resigns at Anfield) before Clough has a falling out and joins Forest but Bobby Robson works the oracle for another 7 years before taking England (lead by half a dozen Everton players to the 1986 World Cup triumph, after Maradona is (Rattined) sent off in the Quarter Finals - where England win on penalties after extra-time) - Kendall steps in after a successful spell in Spain to take us to further English and European glory.

Meanwhile Tranmere join us in the new Premier League to ensure there is, once again, a Derby league match after 10 years without one (since Gordon Lee got them relegated) although the two teams did meet at Villa Park in the '89 Semi where a Lineker hat trick sees off The RS - meanwhile Forest comfortably beat Norwich at Hillsborough before Clough gets a little bit of revenge in a thrilling final . Further success follows under Joe Royle and some great foreign managers take us even further. The Kings Dock Stadium (60,000 capacity) is filled to the rafters (expanded to 75,000, and we refuse to share with the RS). Meanwhile Villarreal beat some other team to qualify for the Champions League but lose their semi to eventual winners Everton.

I particularly like the bit where Manchester City remain in the 3rd tier and don't attract massive investment (but they do get to play The RS twice a season) - meanwhile Stockport County get to use the Games Stadium in a ground share with Oldham.

Sounds a bit like playing FIFA really!

Aberblue's version had better be pretty good to beat this one... like I said the bremner collins kay thing is the key

Status
Not open for further replies.