Kopites hadn't have murdered 39 people in 1985
What if the side that won the league before the onset of both world wars was allowed to go on and see out their potential. Who be the most successful side in England?
We'll never know, will we? But there's no doubt that the turn of events at times in the 20th century has cost Everton.
Recently I have been reading the book "What If" by R.M.Skillen (a kopite, incidentally) and quite a few of his stories centre on or involve Everton. He has several theories as to what would have happened if....
1. Flo had signed for Everton
- Everton signed Tore andre flo in March 1997, Everton end the season on a high.
- Everton sign Juninho from Boro in July 1997
- Everton play boss footy throughout 1997/98 and finish third with a league double over the redshyte with Dunc and TAF up front
- Peter Johnson receives a £35 million offer for Dunc, Juninho and TAF from Real Madrid
- The lot of them go to Real madrid, Joe Royle resigns and Walter Smith takes over with only a couple of mil to spend
- The trio prove irreplaceable and Everton are relegated in 1998/99, spending the next few years in the wilderness.
2. Andy Gray had taken over at Everton
- Everton get off to a terrible start in 1997/98
- Everton sign Nii Lamptey and Matthew Upson
- Everton are in the relegation zone in January 1998
- Gray signs Cantona as a player/coach
- Results improve and Everton finish mid table
- Everton gradually grow into a lethal team and eventually win the Premier League title
3. Everton had signed Muller in August 1994
- Everton get off to a flyer and top the table in early 1994/95
- Muller becomes a mercenary, demanding a pay rise with every goal
- Mike Walker wants to sign Duncan Ferguson, but Muller threatens to walk if Dunc gets signed
- Big Dunc subsequently signs for Liverpool and makes them boss
- Muller goes AWOL to a club in Brazil in March 1995, while still in contract and Everton plummet to finish mid table
- Everton go 10 games winless at the start of 1995/96 and Mike Walker is sacked, making way for Joe Royle....
So... how credible are these tales? Have any other "alternate histories" to bring forward? For instance what if we'd signed Kyle Naughton instead of Spurs??? Maybe Liverpool would have signed Coleman or something (gasp) doesn't bear thinking about!...
Adblocking on an Everton fan site is kopite behaviour! ;)
We understand and appreciate why you use Ad-blocking software, but we ask that you kindly consider disabling your Ad-block for GrandOldTeam. We're a fan site ran by fans, for fans. GrandOldTeam costs over £7,000 per year and we rely on our ad revenue to keep the site sustainable. We work hard to ensure our ads aren't instrusive. If you can't or don't wish to disable your Ad-block, please consider upgrading your account for the cost of a pint a month here. Thank You.