What if....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if.....

We'd just paid the higher rent.

We'd signed Dion Dublin.

Chelsea had beat them cos 'Da King' had woke up feelin ****e & not played.

Rogers & Hammerstein had said 'Nah scrap that pile of crap, we'll sing something else.'

Shevchenko had buried it.

Clive Thomas had given it.

Collina hadn't hallucinated.

Personally I think that this whole thing is pure speculation based on nowt, BUT;

I do think that if Howard Kendall Mk2 and then Joe Royle had stayed longer, we'd have been at our current position a lot quicker. Pure conjecture though. I'm not exactly displeased at this moment in time.

What if

Kopites hadn't have murdered 39 people in 1985

Basically, that's the only "what if" scenario in town.

What if:

1. Heysel hadn't happened....or having happened, only the club associated with it had been banned

- Everton went on to win the European Cup in 1986
- Kendall and Lineker hadn't left for Europe
-Everton play great footy throughout the rest of the 80s and early 90s and win a couple more league Titles and another European Cup.
- Peter Johnson never hets near the club as it becomes much too valuable and he can't afford it
- The Sky gravy train starts rolling and an Everton still under the stewardship of Philip Carter takes full advantage.
- Howard steps down in 1995 and Arsene Wenger is hired to carry on his legacy.
-Another couple league titles and another European Cup come to Goodison.
-At the turn of the century, a Russian oligarch is looking to buy a football team and he picks a team in Blue from Merseyside rather than west London
-Wayne Rooney bursts on the scene and becomes the greatest player of his generation, picking up trophy after trophy with his hometown club.

sigh........and all for the want of a nail.....:(

What if the side that won the league before the onset of both world wars was allowed to go on and see out their potential. Who be the most successful side in England?

We'll never know, will we? But there's no doubt that the turn of events at times in the 20th century has cost Everton.

Last edited:
We'll never know, will we? But there's no doubt that the turn of events at times in the 20th century has cost Everton.

You can't talk about luck being bad considering 99% of clubs would love to be Everton, but, things could have went our way and the landscape could look very different now.

You know the whole us being champions while the wars were going on…
Shouldn't we retain every league title during that time as no team could technically take it off us?
Plus it's not our fault a war was going off!!

Chelsea wasnt it?

Recently I have been reading the book "What If" by R.M.Skillen (a kopite, incidentally) and quite a few of his stories centre on or involve Everton. He has several theories as to what would have happened if....

1. Flo had signed for Everton

- Everton signed Tore andre flo in March 1997, Everton end the season on a high.
- Everton sign Juninho from Boro in July 1997
- Everton play boss footy throughout 1997/98 and finish third with a league double over the redshyte with Dunc and TAF up front
- Peter Johnson receives a £35 million offer for Dunc, Juninho and TAF from Real Madrid
- The lot of them go to Real madrid, Joe Royle resigns and Walter Smith takes over with only a couple of mil to spend
- The trio prove irreplaceable and Everton are relegated in 1998/99, spending the next few years in the wilderness.

2. Andy Gray had taken over at Everton

- Everton get off to a terrible start in 1997/98
- Everton sign Nii Lamptey and Matthew Upson
- Everton are in the relegation zone in January 1998
- Gray signs Cantona as a player/coach
- Results improve and Everton finish mid table
- Everton gradually grow into a lethal team and eventually win the Premier League title

3. Everton had signed Muller in August 1994

- Everton get off to a flyer and top the table in early 1994/95
- Muller becomes a mercenary, demanding a pay rise with every goal
- Mike Walker wants to sign Duncan Ferguson, but Muller threatens to walk if Dunc gets signed
- Big Dunc subsequently signs for Liverpool and makes them boss
- Muller goes AWOL to a club in Brazil in March 1995, while still in contract and Everton plummet to finish mid table
- Everton go 10 games winless at the start of 1995/96 and Mike Walker is sacked, making way for Joe Royle....

So... how credible are these tales? Have any other "alternate histories" to bring forward? For instance what if we'd signed Kyle Naughton instead of Spurs??? Maybe Liverpool would have signed Coleman or something (gasp) doesn't bear thinking about!...

What if we hadn't been kicked out of Anfield in the late 19th century...then there would be no Liverpool FC and the world would be an infinitely better place

A couple of years ago I took up a challenge on another site; the challenge was this: "With a point of divergence no earlier than 1970, make Everton the dominant force in British football".

Sad nerd that I am, I wrote a whole history of Everton from 1970, the main points of divergence being us beating Panathinaikos in the European Cup quarter final and subsequently reaching the EC Final (though losing to Ajax) and then beating the RS in the FA Cup semi final three days later. Harry Catterick's illness made him resign after we won the Cup that year, then we appointed Clough as manager.

It turned out really well, we won the league countless times and European trophies aots. If anyone wants to read the entire timeline I can get it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.