Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

And they're only players who played for us...

Memphis Depay couldn't get a game and loads wanted him in Jan.
People still want us to sign Martial (same).
And it was the same with Wellbeck only a couple of years ago too.

In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not a player can or can't get in Uniteds team. What might be right for, may not be right for some... Different strokes, etc.

Good teams aren't just made up of 11 exciting youngsters thrown together, they usually have a mix of players. Some youngsters, some big signings, some older signings who who been written off... Look at the 80s team as a prime example.

There's a lot of arguments for and against Rooney, namely money and the fact he is past it.

For me, the money we would be paying would be worth it to bring in a proven winner, someone who has done the lot and can lead by example. Someone who is still only 31, and has always been an intelligent, and creative thinker.

At a time when we are probably at our most financially secure as we have been in his own life time, we are in a position to afford it, so i wouldn't be concerned about that. And I would say the rumoured amount is still way below the going rate for someone of his stature, which to me, is only achievable because he wants to play for Everton. There are plenty of other places he could still get big money if that was his ultimate goal. Also, depending on how we structure it, it could be similar to Barry/Eto'o, where we paid them less per week for the promise of a longer contract.

As for the argument he is past it, I suppose only time will tell, but for me, he is a realistic target, he is a player with something to prove, and he will see it as unfinished business. He didn't become the player he is and become a driving force behind winning all those trophies by being someone to rest on his laurels. And I think he will be itching to just prove people wrong. People have mentioned about his game being all power and pace and that his legs have gone. I don't think that's the case at all. He is 9/10 the most intelligent player on the pitch, in football terms at least, and he proved that in only the 10 or so mins he played in Duncans testimonial. His movement and understanding of space are on another level, and given the right environment again to let that thrive, I think he will be a very astute signing. And if Rom decides he stay, he will reap the rewards (ask Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, even Ibrahimovic).

He is also, from all accounts, a great leader and mentor for younger players, both with England and Utd, and leads by example.

Given our new found wealth, and the fractured nature of Rooneys relationship with united, partly down, I believe anyway, to his want to once again play in royal blue, we could end up with an absolute steal of a deal, and even if it doesn't turn out that way down the line, we would be mad not to at least take the chance.

Schneiderlin !??

Michael Keane - left cos they thought he'd never made it - now starting for the national team and regarded as one of the leagues better cb's
Pogba - not deemed ready to play for United so leaves for a development fee - bought back for 89m quid
Forlan, Di Maria - both went on after flopping at United to br brilliant for their next clubs

United is a strange fish - some players who are deemed not good enough due to age (too young/old) or talent are in fact good enough in spades, just they aren't a patient team and the past few years for sure seem to have no idea what their doing in terms of developing a squad and first team.

Then again they always have the brilliant excuses for mistakes they make in letting players go to soon or when players doesn't work out.
1. Not United Calibre - forgetting ofc all the bang average players who united have had over the years who played 100's of times for them - yet apparently 'where united calibre'
2. Struggle with the pressure of playing for a big club - so effectively excuses them when he goes on to show he's boss at another club - because they aren't as big as united so not the same pressure (a argument they can never lose really)

He's not past it. He's just not playing. He's an upgrade to our squad and has won it all. He brings experience and also more worldwide exposure to a club who want to raise their profile.
It will happen and we will be better for it.

The more I think about it, the more I understand it

He does have quality, undeniably

He can play up front or as a number 10, and he can play in midfield in an emergency

Assuming Rom stays, we have been crying out for either a strike partner or quality cover for Rom. This would tick that box

Barkley has been playing from wide since Christmas and has been infinitely better because of it. Tom Davies has been played as a number 10 recently and, as much as I love him, that's not his game, he doesn't have the natural attacking instincts to play there IMO. So we do have the need for someone to play number 10 - Rooney would tick this box too.

Granted, he isn't as good as he once was (or at least it doesn't appear that way), there's a lot of miles on the clock (even though 31 isn't really old) and the move would be divisive for some (I'm over it all personally, it was a long time ago).

Assuming we're not going to make him our highest paid player, and it really is a free transfer that we're talking about, I don't think it's a bad move at all. We should be playing European football next season and we'll need more strength in depth if we're going to have a go at The Europa League and compete domestically too.

As much as anything though, I think the likes of Moshiri and co would like this because it would instantly bring profile to the club. It's a big story - Man Utd and England's all-time record goalscorer returns to boyhood heroes. He isn't like Carragher either, where he has managed to stop supporting Everton. He's bringing up his kids as blues, so whatever happened, he still has a soft spot of some kind for us.

I'd like it to have happened last summer in all honesty, but if it's ever going to happen, it has to be this summer and no later.

Status
Not open for further replies.