Vilification of linked players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also to remain on topic - we're vilifying potential players because the entire league and their nan seems to be able to dig up a few great young players from abroad whereas we get linked with the same old utter dross 30 year olds for which we pay 25-50mil even though they're not even great for their own clubs.

Haven't signed an exciting prospect on the cheap for ages now, feels like we're the only team.

Obviously get behind the team and all, but our transfer policy is utter toilet - pay over the odds for random nomarks, give them huge wages, be very shocked when they don't do jack.

Exactly how we ended up with a thousand #10s, Cenk Tosun, Rondon and even Iwobi (pre-career resurrection he was also pony, let's face it, and Arsenal fans thanked us for the ridiculous sum we paid). Patterson is a good prospect and would fit that category if we hadn't paid over the odds again; list goes on naturally.

Ok cool, so we can vilify some but not others.

How do we decide who can be vilified?

We can vilify Rondon because he turned up injured, unfit and made zero contribution.

The original point was that we vilify before they are even signed.

So if they turn up and fail to perform or even look like they aren't giving 110% we vilify. Before that though, everyone deserves chance..

If social media was around when we signed the then injury prone Liverpool supporter Peter Reid, I dread to think what this forum would have looked like!

Last edited:
Also to remain on topic - we're vilifying potential players because the entire league and their nan seems to be able to dig up a few great young players from abroad whereas we get linked with the same old utter dross 30 year olds for which we pay 25-50mil even though they're not even great for their own clubs.

Haven't signed an exciting prospect on the cheap for ages now, feels like we're the only team.

Obviously get behind the team and all, but our transfer policy is utter toilet - pay over the odds for random nomarks, give them huge wages, be very shocked when they don't do jack.

Exactly how we ended up with a thousand #10s, Cenk Tosun, Rondon and even Iwobi (pre-career resurrection he was also pony, let's face it, and Arsenal fans thanked us for the ridiculous sum we paid). Patterson is a good prospect and would fit that category if we hadn't paid over the odds again; list goes on naturally.
Onana...

I love Onana, think he’s our best player already maybe Pickford aside but he was already capped for Belgium and off to the World Cup before we signed him so hardly a non-entity
Brighton and co. seem to be able to dig out complete no marks who turn out class like we used to do with Arteta, Pienaar, Coleman, Graveson and even lower league players like Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Jagielka

Ffs listing those names is so infuriating we used to sign diamonds for pennies

I know this is a forum to discuss all things Everton but there appears to me to be an unhealthy amount of criticism made of just about any player we get linked to. It doesn't seem to matter just how rubbish we are but with the exception of about 1% of the players linked the rest are all classed as not fit for us/useless. People need to get a grip that we've no cash and can't shop at the top table. We have a certain amount of cash available and the club needs to bring in players that are of a level to get us out of our position as it stands. Survival is the name of the game at the moment and that's it. So fine like I said it is a forum for discussion but let's at least give some of these players a chance.

Anyone (player or manager) who is linked with us or joins us is useless, whereas anyone linked with just about any other premier league team is someone we should have gone for and we’ve missed out on yet again.

It’s easy being an ultra negative edgy forum hipster. You didn’t see any of them put forward a single name of any manager they did want though, just whining about every single manager we were linked with

How’s Leon Bailey doing again?

Exactly if you sign a Ryan Fraser you already know the ceiling ( there his an argument he is on the downslope). I am not saying you should never do this. I was not against Tarks or Gana but there are far too many of these coming in when they are at an age or have played enough games to know their trajectory.

I love Onana, think he’s our best player already maybe Pickford aside but he was already capped for Belgium and off to the World Cup before we signed him so hardly a non-entity
Brighton and co. seem to be able to dig out complete no marks who turn out class like we used to do with Arteta, Pienaar, Coleman, Graveson and even lower league players like Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Jagielka

Ffs listing those names is so infuriating we used to sign diamonds for pennies
Looking at that list 3 came from the Championship. I don’t think there are great deals to be had in the Championship these days.

I hate, and I mean hate, making this comparison, but those across the park take crap players and circle the wagons around them and they seem to play above themselves, whereas we take footballers who have done well at other clubs and knock them down levels. Coincidence? I think not.

Fraser has been nothing but mediocre at best for his entire career, but yeah he’ll probably suddenly turn great now he’s nearly 30. He won’t just eat up the wage bill and be impossible to shift.

I hate, and I mean hate, making this comparison, but those across the park take crap players and circle the wagons around them and they seem to play above themselves, whereas we take footballers who have done well at other clubs and knock them down levels. Coincidence? I think not.
We have consistently signed players on the way down in their career though. From Walcott to Dele Ali and loads in between.

I've seen him play, so that's fair criticism and those others that play for us I'll criticise because once again I've seen them play a number of times. Fraser for instance I haven't so I won't criticise.
Plus (as much as I think he an awful defender due to the evidence of my eyes watching him) dyche if he takes over is likely to change how we set up defensively which would probably suit his abilities. Not that I want him to get a game I just think that's a fair comment.
I'm sure you'll find plenty other examples of me criticising some of our players, don't know how that changes my original point though which was about players being linked.

But I'd say 99% of the forum have seen Fraser play and he's absolutely crap

I'd say 99% of the forum have seen Arnautovic play and would all agree if it was 3/4 years ago then that would be a solid signing

I'd say 99% of the forum have seen Antonio play and say he wouldn't be the answer to our goalscoring problems

I'd say 5% of the forum had seen Kudus play but then watched him in the World Cup and could say it looked like a forward thinking transfer target

I'd say 5% of the forum has seen the Sheff Utd kid play but again a quick search on the player and the reviews he gets, you can see it would be a forward thinking signing.

So all I see is in the main genuine honest comments on players who simply aren't good enough to get us out of this mess then a lot of positive comments when a player is mentioned where it actually looks like the club has.dkne some homework.

I'd pretty much say every single forum of every other football club is exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.