Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start with, we don't have a hundred million, and I personally think that so far business has been pretty much better than expected. No?
Geri back, Garbutt signed, Henen signed, Cleverley signed and without disrespecting their pedigree, Distin and Alcatraz gone. Proper pre season and a few more additions to the squad which as you rightly say is pretty much the best in recent years. Don't understand the pessimism.

Will have to wait and see until after the window. As of yet glaring weaknesses at centreback, goal keeper and creative midfield have not been addressed. If Mirallas leaves then we've only really replaced like for like. Cleverley seemingly does not bring much difference, we had Garbutt and Henen last year. The window has got off to an ok start but if we're serious about rectifying the wrongs of last season we should expect at least 3 major signings. They're never going to happen though. We might get one average centreback in for cover and that might be it knowing this board. Howard and Kone can 'go again' whilst Ross will be tasked to 'recapture his form' in the number 10 role, with Mcgeady being like 'a new signing'.

Definitely mate. Compared to many many other windows this has been a brilliant start.

Can't be bothered fuming when the window is still open. Anything could happen yet.

Agree 100% great start to the window and I believe it will get better

McGeady to Sunderland is good news as is Agbonna going to decide who he is going to sign for

Did notice that a bloke called Billy Bingham has signed for Crewe, is that our former managers son?

Has the window closed and nobody told me?!

doesn't matter yet west ham spent a massive amount of dosh on a guy i'd never really heard of a few weeks back and stoke have had a bid accepted for someone who will clearly not want to go there! and RS spent £30m on someone i'd never heard of again until about 2 months back. we got delafeou back for under £5m.

all doom and gloom.

The level of expectation can only be applied once compared to what others have also done. In relative terms if we haven't improved our squad as much as others have done or will do, then we have gone backwards in our chance of hitting the top spots.

Maybe the expectation instead is that we should see better quality and more entertaining football.

Will have to wait and see until after the window. As of yet glaring weaknesses at centreback, goal keeper and creative midfield have not been addressed. If Mirallas leaves then we've only really replaced like for like. Cleverley seemingly does not bring much difference, we had Garbutt and Henen last year. The window has got off to an ok start but if we're serious about rectifying the wrongs of last season we should expect at least 3 major signings. They're never going to happen though. We might get one average centreback in for cover and that might be it knowing this board. Howard and Kone can 'go again' whilst Ross will be tasked to 'recapture his form' in the number 10 role, with Mcgeady being like 'a new signing'.

Gonna reply in bullets

• I don't see how you can judge Cleverley til we see where he is going to be played.
  • Are we selling Mirallas then?
  • We did have Garbutt and Henen last year but I meant in terms of what the fans wanted (Garbutt mainly)
  • Agreed on CB position but reckon that will be filled before it all kicks off, bearing in mind its day1 pre season for 1st team today
  • Last year was our best chance to push on and the window was good from the outset so buy buy buy policy no guarantee of success

I think its most football fans to be fair. Everyone is a manager/chairman/player in their heads !

Agreed but, it is the reaction to the smallest bit of negative rumour - everyone is all over it. Good news,nah can't be true.

But yes, football fans as a whole

do we only need one centre back to replace distin and alcaraz? 3 senior centre backs seems a bit light...

do we only need one centre back to replace distin and alcaraz? 3 senior centre backs seems a bit light...

Stones and Jagz plus one new addition as well as Galloway and Browning should be enough to cover the worst injury crisis, bear in mind we will be light on fixtures in comparison to last season as we are bound to gallantly fall at the first in the Rumbelows cup !!

The level of expectation can only be applied once compared to what others have also done. In relative terms if we haven't improved our squad as much as others have done or will do, then we have gone backwards in our chance of hitting the top spots.

Maybe the expectation instead is that we should see better quality and more entertaining football.
But we buy a lot differently to most around us as a general rule anyway. So on paper we probably won't stack up that well. On a pitch we are a different prospect.

I'm not making excuses for not spending money but we've benefitted from a more organic approach in the past.

Stones and Jagz plus one new addition as well as Galloway and Browning should be enough to cover the worst injury crisis, bear in mind we will be light on fixtures in comparison to last season as we are bound to gallantly fall at the first in the Rumbelows cup !!

galloway and browning have never played at centre back for us at senior level, bit worried about them doing that as such an important position and i cant see baines or coleman playing centre back! i suppose barry could play there at a push...i think we need 4 senior(or at leaset somewhat experienced) centre backs myself...

Just want to applaud the admins ... Going forward think this will be so much better having just one transfer page .....the cb that Martinez wants will be seen as a back up to jags and stones ... Would evens not be ideal for this and also help educate both browning /Galloway . Didn't Ferguson once refer to Evens as his mister dependable ??

galloway and browning have never played at centre back for us at senior level, bit worried about them doing that as such an important position and i cant see baines or coleman playing centre back! i suppose barry could play there at a push...i think we need 4 senior(or at leaset somewhat experienced) centre backs myself...

Besic is a natural centre back.

I cannot find a single new rumour whatsoever regarding Everton

Think it will as quiet as Pickwicks on a Wednesday night until the lads are back from their tour

Status
Not open for further replies.