Transfer Window Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’d argue it’s a really successful transfer window, with the only blemishes being Lack of Zaha, and possibly a Centre Half.

Positives:

1. Exits - McCarthy, Williams, Sandro, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Besic all off the wage bill. Would expect to see more of the fat like Bolasie, Mirallas, Martina, Schneiderlin to leave
  2. Quality Acquisitions - Losing Gueye is always a bad one but I like how we’ve recruited, we’ve kept Gomes, then strengthened with Experience in Delph, and took highly rated Gbamin and Kean. It’s good business. Oh and let’s not forget about Iwobi, who was an arsenal regular last season and Sidibe, who’s a World Cup winner.
  3. Opportunity for some of the younger lads - not bringing in a Centre Half, may give Gibson, who impressed massively in Pre-season, a proper crack at the first XI, Holgate May be able to show he can step up.
  4. We’ve actually got money - With the bids for Zaha, it shows we have clout, it’s positive going forward.
Negatives

1. Well, is it still going to be DCL upfront?
  2. Didn’t sign Zaha, but Iwobi can still do a good job. Next summer we need that statement signing.

Overall it’s been positive! Remember signing Stracqualursi and Drenthe on loan? Now we’ve just poached Juve’s hottest prospect and nearly upset the applecart by trying to sign a big name in Zaha.

We’re getting there, just need patience.

Looking back I am overall pleased with our business. However could have been better. Spent too much time chasing after Zouma when it was clear Chelsea wanted to keep him. I would also argue spent too much time on Zaha.

We're stronger in attack than last season, for sure, midfield we're pretty much neutral, stronger at right-back, the same at left-back, while in defence we've lost Zouma and Jagielka and presumably will replace with Holgate and Lewis Gibson.

So from a PL experience point of view we're significantly weaker in defence, can only hope Mina stays injury-free, and/or Holgate in particular really grasps his opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.