Transfer Window Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the shocking omission of a centre back that has been an encouraging window.

Kean is a great potential signing at a very reasonable fee.

Gomes - no brainer.

Gbamin , I know very little about but looks a good athlete , a great size and is well regarded - but big boots to fill in Gana.

Delph is a decent squad player.

Sidibe good back up to Seamus and if he can get back to his form of 2016/17 far better player than Coleman. On a loan so no risk option.

Lossl - yeah ok as back up .

Iwobi is a very interesting player , he can play wide or centrally. At £28 m he could turn out to be an inspired buy but far from sure what his best position is. The suggestion that he is not an upgrade on Lookman is laughable.

HOWEVER , the lack of a centre half is a real worry and injury or loss of form to Keane or Mina would be a desperate blow to our ambition. This could turn out to be a massive gamble.

So far we have shifted some deadwood but it looks like we are going to struggle to get fees for Bolasie , Mirralas , Schniederlin , Tosun or Niasse , but I suppose that there is still time.

Having said that , as others have pointed out , we may need to keep Schneiderlin now to play DM if Gbamin is needed at centre half and Delph is bonding with the Physio.

We spent the 5th most money and would have had the most had we got Zaha instead of Iwobi. Which means...

CpFD6LKWEAESHWP.jpg

Centre back is an issue, however, if you look at our rivals for top 6 it's all still to play for. The top 3 are well out of reach but:

United have strengthened their defence, but whatever you think of him they've lost lost lukakus goals and not replaced it. And I think their centre mid is not great. Matic looks done.

Arsenal bought Pepe and Tierney who look good buys but not sure Luiz solves much. Reckon they still look soft at the back.

Chelsea.weaker without hazard. Anything could happen there, a lot depends on whether Lampard can get his ideas to bed in.

Wolves look solid, sensible transfers. But then they have europa league.

Leicester praet and perez decent buys. But not replaced maguire so not great at the back.

West ham. Lots of great attacking players, especially haller and fornals to go with Felipe Anderson. But their defence doesn't look great either. Their full backs are tripe especially.

So yes we need a bit of luck with injuries, and need to pick up more points away from home. But anyone of 6 teams above could say the same thing.

In conclusion not getting a centre half isn't a complete disaster.

Positions 4 - 10 could be very open.

Coyb.

I'm happy with it overall

Would have been a lot happier with a CB but we all think that so no point going into it

The question is : have we closed the gap in terms of quality to any of the teams above us? I'd suggest that we now have a stronger team (and maybe squad) than Man Utd - their midfield options are utterly horrific and their fans are fuming at the moment. Also think we've gotten closer to Chelsea, especially with them losing Hazard and the transfer ban.

Arsenal and Spurs have done demoralisingly decent business late on in the window (especially Spurs)

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that
We literally tried to sign uniteds 5th and 6th choice centre halves, not a chance our squad is stronger than theirs.

Mickey Quinn on Talksport just before on the Alan Brazil show gave our transfer window a C-

Said we lost our best defender in Zouma and never replaced him and Gueye was the reason for so many of our clean sheets last season. Said Kean was young and untested and a risky signing.

He gave Liverpool a B+

The signing of Iwobi makes me feel a lot better about our chances this season. Shame we couldn't get that CB in, but always been a fan of Holgate, who will now probably get his last chance to prove his worth to us. Being around the first team and maybe get an occasionally outing, will also benefit Gibson. Also time for Mina to start delivering and for Keane to keep developing.

Centre back is an issue, however, if you look at our rivals for top 6 it's all still to play for. The top 3 are well out of reach but:

United have strengthened their defence, but whatever you think of him they've lost lost lukakus goals and not replaced it. And I think their centre mid is not great. Matic looks done.

Arsenal bought Pepe and Tierney who look good buys but not sure Luiz solves much. Reckon they still look soft at the back.

Chelsea.weaker without hazard. Anything could happen there, a lot depends on whether Lampard can get his ideas to bed in.

Wolves look solid, sensible transfers. But then they have europa league.

Leicester praet and perez decent buys. But not replaced maguire so not great at the back.

West ham. Lots of great attacking players, especially haller and fornals to go with Felipe Anderson. But their defence doesn't look great either. Their full backs are tripe especially.

So yes we need a bit of luck with injuries, and need to pick up more points away from home. But anyone of 6 teams above could say the same thing.

In conclusion not getting a centre half isn't a complete disaster.

Positions 4 - 10 could be very open.

Coyb.
Top 6 are going no where near.
They have proven in the past even if they have a poor season they comfortably get 6th

Mickey Quinn on Talksport just before on the Alan Brazil show gave our transfer window a C-

Said we lost our best defender in Zouma and never replaced him and Gueye was the reason for so many of our clean sheets last season. Said Kean was young and untested and a risky signing.

He gave Liverpool a B+

Mickey Quinn's goalscoring record in Serie A of course qualifies him to make this statement.

Their midfield options are Pogba, Matic, Fred, Mctominay, Pereira and Mata

I disagree
Mad how you've said that as if Pogba's Tom Cleverley like. We can compete with United, definitely. If we'd bought Zouma or equivalent and Zaha or equivalent I'd have been confident of finishing above them. I just can't agree that our squad's stronger than theirs as it stands though.

Mad how you've said that as if Pogba's Tom Cleverley like. We can compete with United, definitely. If we'd bought Zouma or equivalent and Zaha or equivalent I'd have been confident of finishing above them. I just can't agree that our squad's stronger than theirs as it stands though.

Ha I didn't mean it like that - he's obviously an excellent player, he's just literally their only effective midfielder - plus the fact is he actively tried to get a transfer out of the club and his best mate has just left - so I'm sure you can imagine the sulk

He gave Liverpool a B+
That right there. The bolded bit. Generally wise to completely ignore any words that preceed or follow those bolded ones.

They haven't replaced the Lukaku goals which, I'm led to believe, is a hanging offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.