Top Four Possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Brom are a bit too close behind us for my liking too.

I like that mate, even if the some of the players reckon we can't catch those above, the fact West Brom are relatively close behind us will keep them on there toes as 7th must be the minimum they want to hold onto, long as west brom keep that distance we may end up playing better just to stay ahead of them.

Also don't undersetimate what the addition of Schneiderlin may make on the mentality of the dressing room, throw in Davies and Lookman who both look pretty much fearless and a resurgent Barkley who finally looks like he understands what hard work and getting stuck in can do for his overall game (and the crowds reaction to him) and who knows, big ask like as we need 3 to slip up and we really would need to not lose to the rs. Arsenal and United away and more than likely grab a win against 1-2 of them as well, which our recent record wouldn't suggest is that likely.

Then again a month and a half ago we looked like we hadnt really any system of play, the rs where flying as where Arsenal so at least we have a bit of interest and thats all we can ask going into the close of the season for his first in charge

We're a couple of poor results away from disaster at any given time

We have a bit of a way to go before we're challenging the top 4 regularly, but things appear to be generally heading in the right direction

Chances of top 4 this season? About 1%

Don't know when the European fixtures are, but it would be nice to play arsenal, Spurs, United after their involvement in Europe, preferably an away leg! I don't ask for much do I?

If spurs win this round then our game against them will come 4 days before they have there last 16 game, Arsenal is last game of the season and United would come about 9 days before they play their QF in europe if they get that far

Europa
16/02/17: Round of 32, first leg
23/02/17: Round of 32, second leg
24/02/17: Round of 16 draw, Nyon
09/03/17: Round of 16, first leg
16/03/17: Round of 16, second leg
17/03/17: Quarter-final draw, Nyon
13/04/17: Quarter-finals, first leg
20/04/17: Quarter-finals, second leg
21/04/17: Semi-final draw, Nyon
04/05/17: Semi-finals, first leg
11/05/17: Semi-finals, second leg
24/05/17: Final (Friends Arena, Solna)

CL
14–15/02/17 and 21–22/02/17: Round of 16, first leg
07–08/03/17 and 14–15/03/17: Round of 16, second leg
11–12/04/17: Quarter-finals, first leg
18–19/04/17: Quarter-finals, second leg
02–03/05/17: Semi-finals, first leg
09–10/05/17: Semi-finals, second leg
03/06/17: Final (National Stadium of Wales, Cardiff)

Utd 4th April
Spurs 5th March
Arse 21st May

Its also more down to every extra game those lot have to play is more chance of injuries or players starting to getburned out really for me mate

One game a week until end of season. United, City, Arsenal, Spurs all still in Euro competition. Liverpool dropping like a stone. We need to avoid defeat in several of those six pointers away at top 6 teams.

Barrys comments tell a lot ..squad is ambitious and theyre not afraid of aiming high.

Momentum is on

Don't underestimate the effect of really trimming the squad down to the bare bones will have mate either, a slimmed down squad with everyone in it knowing they have a chance to fight for a spot, can breed a much different atmosphere around the club.

The old cliche about one game at a time holds true, we keep on picking up wins/good results and never letting any of them start to extend away again and each week we will close on at least one team above us which gives the squad that goal to aim for.

I don't think this team is good enough to finish fourth, but it's great that it feels like there's something to play for again.

I thought that the season was pretty much in the toilet after Leicester.

Don't underestimate the effect of really trimming the squad down to the bare bones will have mate either, a slimmed down squad with everyone in it knowing they have a chance to fight for a spot, can breed a much different atmosphere around the club.

The old cliche about one game at a time holds true, we keep on picking up wins/good results and never letting any of them start to extend away again and each week we will close on at least one team above us which gives the squad that goal to aim for.

I agree with this, we could go on a very good run in the next 5 or 6 games and possibly get into the 4th/5th position.
But then we have to maintain that form once we are there! Every team in that top 6 are capable of going on long winning streaks so we would not be able to have any sort of dip in form (e.g a 1 win in 4 sequence) It could turn week by week depending on who picks up what result.
Remember when we hammered arsenal 3-0 at our place after winning 5 in a row to get 3 points ahead of arsenal in 4th? In the space of a week we lost to crystal palace and southampton where arsenal won every game fro mthen on until the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.