2017/18 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Leicester game I said he seems to run in circles and chase the game a bit. I think it's down to trying too hard a bit. Yesterday he was trying to be too clever at times when a simpler ball was on. But his re-emergence back into the team is similar to his break through last season in were he has helped lift the team with energy and willingness to go forward. He's slowly getting there and playing alongside Rooney will do him the world of good. He also brings out the best in Gueye.

Yes he makes errors and loses the ball but thats because he is trying stuff. As e gets older and better, he'll lose the ball fewer times and make better decisions. He's giving us a bit of energy and drive at the moment.
I'm going to put him through to the next round.
Exactly. He is going to get better at decision making, but in the interim he HAS to play. Our best midfield will have Gana and one of Siggy/Rooney. Davies is our only player that can run with the ball and link the D with the O. He has to be playing with those two. I’d love to have someone better and allow him to develop at a more typical pace, but without that TYPE of mid, we are a mess.

I think he needs to work on his upper body strength as he's losing the ball too easily on a number of occasions because of his lack of strength.

There's been glimpses of a talented player but for one reason or another, he's been below form this year and has looked somewhat dysfunctional.

He clearly offers determination, likes to turn and move forward but he needs to improve his control and decision making if he wants to progress.

Let's not forget however, that he's only a young lad playing in a pretty dysfunctional team so he more than deserves the benefit of doubt.

Exactly. He is going to get better at decision making, but in the interim he HAS to play. Our best midfield will have Gana and one of Siggy/Rooney. Davies is our only player that can run with the ball and link the D with the O. He has to be playing with those two. I’d love to have someone better and allow him to develop at a more typical pace, but without that TYPE of mid, we are a mess.

Time for bed

After the Leicester game I said he seems to run in circles and chase the game a bit. I think it's down to trying too hard a bit. Yesterday he was trying to be too clever at times when a simpler ball was on. But his re-emergence back into the team is similar to his break through last season in were he has helped lift the team with energy and willingness to go forward. He's slowly getting there and playing alongside Rooney will do him the world of good. He also brings out the best in Gueye.

Indeed, the midfield area is far more enegetic with this pairing. I'd rather have a player (Davies) trying to do something instead of Schneiderfraud, who puts 100% effort into trying nothing.

Needs to manage his game a bit better,tires out around 60/70 minutes due to chasing around too much but that will come eventually,he is a young lad making his way in the game of course hes going to make mistakes,he will have a decent career

We somehow need to have a long-term plan of having Davies, Dowell, Kenny, DCL, Lookman on the team at the same time, and maybe Connolly if he's any good, because it makes a big difference to have friends & colleagues around the pitch who motivate each other.
We need a long-term plan to keep all of these young highly rated lads together, and not lose them like Rooney and Barkley.
If only we had a DOF and a strategy...hmmm

Made up he scored yesterday. He gets a raw deal on here at times, there aren't many 19 year old midfielders playing at the top level putting on top performances week in week out so to expect it of Davies is stupidly unfair.

Should be starting every week for me.

Well said mate, agree.

Made up he scored yesterday. He gets a raw deal on here at times, there aren't many 19 year old midfielders playing at the top level putting on top performances week in week out so to expect it of Davies is stupidly unfair.

Should be starting every week for me.

I like him, and agree that there are few 19 year olds currently performing at this level, but I do struggle to see what kind of player he actually is. He plays one of the hardest roles on the pitch in my opinion, but at the moment he doesn't look strong enough to do it effectively. Although he adds some energy which we have been missing, I don't think he's great on the ball. Lots of time for him to develop yet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.