2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a shame , we all had hope that this youth player was going to see us into the new brighter future .
After all the youth League titles and plaudits we have nothing to show for it . I wonder where it went wrong .
As said above , I trust in Carlos judgement but again as said it doesn't look good .
Doomed to be a D1 clotheshorse .

Got to be the coaching. He's played under Martinez, Unsworth, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ferguson and now Ancelotti in just 5 seasons. He doesn't have a role in the team, all midfielders have something whether they're box-to-box, playmakers, defensive minded players etc he's just a nomad in the middle. When he first burst on, that performance against City he was driving forward with the ball, the skill for his goal was fantastic. That seems to have been coached out of him to make him a bog-standard centre mid.

He's still 21 but he's nowhere near good enough for the first team right now. Depending on the numbers we bring in during the Summer, if we could loan him out for a season that would be great otherwise he'd make adequate cover for the bench.

Wasn't Osman 23-24 when he started games at Everton ? Maybe as a lot of you have said , he should of had a couple of loans at places like Carlisle and Derby although we needed him when Tom made his debut .

Good enough for what mate? Good enough for the champions league, no but Europa league level? Probably. Which is coincidently where we found ourselves at that time.
Davies is a different player with different strengths and weaknesses, I hope he comes good, if anyone can bring it out of him it's Carlo.
Osman hadn't made a 1st team appearance for us at Davies' current age I don't think.

Like I said I’m not sure how it works.
If we have 17 or less foreign players. Then can we get away with say 5 homegrown over 21 and so only having a squad of 22 over 21yr olds. The rest made up of young players?

We also have kenny, Delph and Walcott
I think it's fair to say he's only playing at the moment due to injuries. Based on ability and form over a long period he isn't good enough to start.

He is IMO ok as a squad player but we are, as you say, approaching the time where we consider whether his squad place is taken by another young lad. We need to be careful though, had we made that decision at the same age as Tom is now with Dom, then we wouldn't have benefited from his dramatic upsurge in form

Got to be the coaching. He's played under Martinez, Unsworth, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ferguson and now Ancelotti in just 5 seasons. He doesn't have a role in the team, all midfielders have something whether they're box-to-box, playmakers, defensive minded players etc he's just a nomad in the middle. When he first burst on, that performance against City he was driving forward with the ball, the skill for his goal was fantastic. That seems to have been coached out of him to make him a bog-standard centre mid.

He's still 21 but he's nowhere near good enough for the first team right now. Depending on the numbers we bring in during the Summer, if we could loan him out for a season that would be great otherwise he'd make adequate cover for the bench.
Others who watch the youth teams would have a better idea than me but my understanding is that his game hasn't really changed a lot. He wasn't an exciting, dynamic player at youth level as far as i'm aware. Maybe the City goal was just one of those things, something completely out of character that a player produces out of the blue. Unfortunately for him it came early in his career and has maybe made people think he's something he isn't.

The problem is the transition from under 23s to the first team. We produce quality players right up to under 23 level, then their development just stops. It’s been said many times before but David Unsworth’s position should seriously be under review.
He must be very friendly with Kenwright. I can't see any other reason why the club would be satisfied with what he's doing.

In every metric, in which you want a footballer to be exceptional or top level- Tom is none. No footballing brain, no physical strength or pace, not the best passer, doesn't score neither

The problem is the transition from under 23s to the first team. We produce quality players right up to under 23 level, then their development just stops. It’s been said many times before but David Unsworth’s position should seriously be under review.
Players develop at different rates.
Its always the same with youth teams going back as far as you like and whoever was coaching them.
You never hit the jackpot every season, or even every 4 seasons...or longer

Davies isn’t getting in the side because of Ancelotti’s judgment. We are literally down to bare basics, the choice is basically between Davies or Sigurdsson. Full squad available and Davies hardly makes the bench.
When we have our squad together for next season if Davies is picked it won't be as a defensive midfielder as it isn't his preferred position.

Status
Not open for further replies.