Tom Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what I’ve seen from Cannon, definitely shouldn’t be selling him at this stage. Wouldn’t be getting value for money even if we did. Might be a radical idea, but perhaps we can keep one or two young lads, loan them out, then slot them into the first team shortly thereafter.

Bill - "I heard preston bid 3 mil for Tom"

Kev - "Yeah but Dyche wants to keep him as we only have 3 strikers left"

Bill - "I know Kev but its 3 mil buddy. You can buy a lot of decent cutlery and plates for the bill kenwright suite at Bramley Moore with 3 mil mate"

Kev - "Ok Bill, do you want me to say its an undisclosed fee again?"

Bill - "You know the score, good lad Kev"

We clearly need to sell players and unfortunately the only ones we can sell are ones other clubs want to buy. In an ideal world we'd offload Keane, Holgate etc but in reality we've got to let players go who we'd prefer to keep.

Think if he was good enough (R/N) he’d have been kept last season rather than loaned out.
I’m not that fussed if he’s sold tbh, if anything it’s about time we started getting decent fees for the academy players that aren’t going to make an immediate impact (if any).
That said, we really out to be putting clauses in these sales for future cuts or 1st dibs (or both).
Looks like possibly £6-8m for Simms, £4m for ISS and maybe £3m for Cannon, so £13-£15m. If that money goes into a new 1st team signing who makes more of an impact that these three would have, then give our form for the last 2 seasons it’s the right thing to do.
However, that we’re likely doing it out of desperation rather than astute planning where the issue really lies.

Last edited:
Think if he was good enough (R/N) he’d have been kept last season rather than loaned out.
I’m not that fussed if he’s sold tbh, if anything it’s about time we started getting decent fees for the academy players that aren’t going to make an immediate impact (if any).
That said, we really out to be putting clauses in these sales for future cuts or 1st dibs (or both).
Looks like possibly £6-8m for Simms, £4m for ISS and maybe £3m for Cannon, so £13-£15m. If that money goes into a new 1st team signing who makes more of an impact that these three would have, then give our form for the last 2 seasons it’s the right thing to do.
However, that we’re likely doing it out of desperation rather than astute planning where the issue really lies.
I agree with the fact we need to start getting fees, but also think we need to illustrate a pathway to the first team, because we are losing a lot of youth players
We need strikers and if we were signing a young lad with a bit of something about him(which Cannon has) for 3mil I think we'd be pleased with that and say its worth the risk
As we already have him we could definitely give him a fair crack at the whip
If he doesn't even get the preseason to impress then we are definitely in fire sale mode

I agree with the fact we need to start getting fees, but also think we need to illustrate a pathway to the first team, because we are losing a lot of youth players
We need strikers and if we were signing a young lad with a bit of something about him(which Cannon has) for 3mil I think we'd be pleased with that and say its worth the risk
As we already have him we could definitely give him a fair crack at the whip
If he doesn't even get the preseason to impress then we are definitely in fire sale mode
What I should have added is in different circumstances I’d like to see him get a chance this season, just hope the academy trainers / assessors know what they’re doing.
Very few of our academy prospects impact the first team, before Gordon we’re looking at Barkley (iirc) which was a long time ago now, and before him your into the mists of time for Osman, Hibbert and Rooney etc unless I’m missing anyone significant.
In the mean time Mustafi and Dier both went for free and ultimately commanded significant fees.

What I should have added is in different circumstances I’d like to see him get a chance this season, just hope the academy trainers / assessors know what they’re doing.
Very few of our academy prospects impact the first team, before Gordon we’re looking at Barkley (iirc) which was a long time ago now, and before him your into the mists of time for Osman, Hibbert and Rooney etc unless I’m missing anyone significant.
In the mean time Mustafi and Dier both went for free and ultimately commanded significant fees.
Can't argue with that
It would be nice to see us convert the investments in youth into profit for a change alright

Agree with much of this. If Tom is going to make it here Dyche will want to keep him. If he doesn’t fancy him then we should make sure we get a fee

Selling Cannon, Warrington or Branthwaite would be absolutely mind blowing.
We’d replace them with overpaid journey men wanting one last contract for 6 times the money who’d be out most of the season injured.

Selling Branthwaite would be both mind blowing and signal a surrender.

Cannon a surprise but Warrington hasnt torn up games has he?

£3mil seems low to me though...£7.5mil

I wouldn’t be excited about this one. ISS made more since he was out the door anyways but Cannon has some solid experience on loan and plays a position we are pretty bare in. I do think it’s a good idea to get fees for your academy players and prop them up for sale. But you also have to give them a pathway to the first team. This tells me we have some moves lined up or we are absolutely desperate for cash (if we sell him). I’m starting to actually get worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.