The Takeover Rumour Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the acid test is what success was bought rather than how many players a club can amass. Everton won nothing after 1939 until Moores money bankrolled two titles, a cup win and another final appearance...and it'd have been much more if the choice of manager had been right after Catterick left.

I just think we need to stop seeing Everton as this purist 'jumpers for goalposts' club that do it the hard way. We never have if truth be known.

I do agree with that, but there is a middle way. Look at the current Barca teams, look at the great Ajax teams of the past and look at how United achieved their ambition. I know it can't be done without money, but it shouldn't be the only factor.

Last edited:
I do agree with that, but there is a middle way. Look at the current Barca teams, look at the great Ajax tems of the past

The Ajax team of the 70s were a freak occurence of great ability wedded to a novel system that took the big guns off guard. The Barca outfit are often talked about as 'organic' - but take a look at how much that club spends on transfers and wages...they share a €2 billion tv pot with Madrid and still go into debt paying to keep competitive.

Let's face, someone with that money could go for Wigan...and turn them into Man City... it seems you can do anything with money.If this is even a hint of truth in this we should hope Kenwrong makes the Kenwright decision asap before we get stuck in the bottom three, get relegated and become as wanted as a chocolate teapot

Compared to 15/20 years ago Whelan has turned Wigan into Man Citeh.

These should sort out their Mr Fixit Sheikh Anvac a.s.a.p. i.m.o f.f.s

So will we get their IKEA modular flat pack stadium after the w.c. ?

[video=youtube;DcAi3GLQyOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI[/video]

As much as it sickens me that money is now the answer to football problems it is. If we are taken over I would be over the moon. Imagine watching the best players in the world playing in the royal blue jersey once again. I am however very skeptical with these rumours. We will be taken over one day, maybe soon but i dont think they will give us more than £10-15 million per season to spend. Definitely not an Arab billionaire like City.

Could be that buying a premier league football club is a safer place to put your money for the next five years or so than buying government bonds etc. The Euro zone is almost certain to break up and nobody knows what effects that will have. The question is what Everton would be worth in five years time with a bit of investment. Even if you make the club reasonably competitive, you should make a profit. Whether or not it makes sense to build a new stadium is a different question though.

I do agree with that, but there is a middle way. Look at the current Barca teams, look at the great Ajax tems of the past

Agree with this Arsenal or Man U are good examples, they can afford to sign quality players when there are holes in their teams or even quality young players from low hanging fruit clubs but the core is always on developing their own. There needs to be a balance between producing your own and having the financial clout to go out and bring in quality if needed. Frankly we are to dependent on whats coming through presently and are one of the low hanging fruit clubs players can be purchased of. Im more excited by the possiblility of keeping the likes of Rodwell and Barkley from the CL clubs then i am about an influx of new players if we were taken over.

Last edited:
Could be that buying a premier league football club is a safer place to put your money for the next five years or so than buying government bonds etc. The Euro zone is almost certain to break up and nobody knows what effects that will have. The question is what Everton would be worth in five years time with a bit of investment. Even if you make the club reasonably competitive, you should make a profit. Whether or not it makes sense to build a new stadium is a different question though.

100% agree. The tv money alone is going to remain huge with or without collective bargaining and that'll ensure a new owner can ofload some time down the road. It is a good investment.

Without a new stadium it seems they won't be interested if they just want to invest in the playing side.

Bt they'd have known that before starting negotiations. They'd probably be much more stuck on the issue of three dickheads trying to squeeze unreal profit for the shares they bought.

Agree with this Arsenal or Man U are good examples, they can afford to sign quality players when there are holes in their teams or even quality young players from low hanging fruit clubs but the core is always on developing their own. There needs to be a balance between producing your own and having the financial clout to go out and bring in quality if needed. Frankly we are to dependent on whats coming through presently and are one of the low hanging fruit clubs players can be purchased of. Im more excited by the possiblility of keeping the likes of Rodwell and Barkley from the CL clubs then i am about an influx of new players if we were taken over.

You talk a lot of sense. But we could build a team around them. Look at Hart and Richards at City... they are flourishing with class around them

Sorry mate, but I really don't want to become a second Man City. Have always maintained that stance throughout the years. The game of football I love, would lose a lot of excitement for me. If it happens it happens though, I'll always be an Evertonian

I've said this before Dutch. If we were taken over by a crazy rich Scrooge McDuck type then we wouldn't be Man City. We, fans and the actual club, wouldn't turn into utter bells like they have. We would do it in a much more classy way. Because we are Everton.

scrooge.jpg

I would bloody love to be taken over by a mega rich Arab type. It seems a bit daft to suggest you wouldn't want us to be.

Last edited:
I know everyone has said something along the lines of "I don't want us to be a Man City, but.....", lets face it, if we had bags of cash we'd be made up.

I really would just settle for now for being the best team in the city, that would be a start.

This. If anyone thinks they want someone rich but not too rich like City, they're living in a bit of a dream world. Its either continue as we are (not feasible) or get a mega rich owner.

Sadly, your comment about us never getting taken over seems to be one I share too. If Bill ruins this for us by asking for too much, he will be one hell of a hate figure, so I doubt he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.