The England U20 World Cup Winning Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think no other team in the PL would play DCL then you haven’t got a clue about football.
A striker has to score goals on a regular basis.
SO far DCL hasnt.
Teams without a goalcorer get relegated.
Thats why DCL will never make it in the PL unless he starts scoring goals.
Do you think Silva will persevere with him as first choice for next season if he scores 1 more goal this season

SO far DCL hasnt.
Do you think Silva will persevere with him as first choice for next season if he scores 1 more goal this season

Why do you have to be first choice to be a PL striker? Gabriel Jesus hardly ever starts is be not one? Sturridge can’t be one as he doesn’t score goals regularly and isn’t first choice. Proper archaic thinking.

So you’re saying currently he’s what, only good enough for the Championship at best?

You are comparing Jesus DCL???
Jesus doesn't start because hes behind one of the best strikers in the world.
Sturridge doesn't start because hes broken.
None of the above applies to DCL.
And yes unless he adds scoring goals to his game he wont make it as a PL striker.
Lads on here rate Mitrovic who plays for the second worst team in the league higher than DCL ,why?? because he scores goals.

You are comparing Jesus DCL???
Jesus doesn't start because hes behind one of the best strikers in the world.
Sturridge doesn't start because hes broken.
None of the above applies to DCL.
And yes unless he adds scoring goals to his game he wont make it as a PL striker.
Lads on here rate Mitrovic who plays for the second worst team in the league higher than DCL ,why?? because he scores goals.

So was Kevin Davies not a PL level striker?

One of the highest assist makers in Europe's top 5 leagues and fair share of goals too.

The stats are impressive and I'm not knocking him although "Assists" is not an accurate indicator of performance - someone would have an assist for Delofeu's goal against Wolves at the weekend for instance. And the best winger in the world could lay on chance after chance but if strikers are fluffing their lines then the assist doesn't appear.

The fact is that his performances have been inconsistent which is entirely normal for a young player in a top league. The trouble is that we can be guilty of comparing the progress of our young players, who we see week in / week out, against the narrative of other young players who we don't see for 90 minutes and who only come to our attention on the weeks were they perform.

It even happens with our players out on loan. Vlasic for instance tends to get a lot of mentions if he has a good game, or the stats indicate he may have had a good game, but their is very little reporting or posting if he puts in a run of mediocre performances in a weak Russian league.

The stats are impressive and I'm not knocking him although "Assists" is not an accurate indicator of performance - someone would have an assist for Delofeu's goal against Wolves at the weekend for instance. And the best winger in the world could lay on chance after chance but if strikers are fluffing their lines then the assist doesn't appear.

The fact is that his performances have been inconsistent which is entirely normal for a young player in a top league. The trouble is that we can be guilty of comparing the progress of our young players, who we see week in / week out, against the narrative of other young players who we don't see for 90 minutes and who only come to our attention on the weeks were they perform.

It even happens with our players out on loan. Vlasic for instance tends to get a lot of mentions if he has a good game, or the stats indicate he may have had a good game, but their is very little reporting or posting if he puts in a run of mediocre performances in a weak Russian league.

There are only a handful of attacking players in world football you’d be able to call consist.
Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe & Cavani

SO far DCL hasnt.
He has made it in the PL though. It's not even an argument. You can't say that someone with 74 PL games under their belt at the age of 22 isn't a PL player, it's ridiculous. There's an argument to be had about how good he is/can be but it is genuinely indisputable that he has 'made it' in the PL.

P.S. Wiki has a source saying we received 500k in a loan fee from Leeds for Pennigton in 17-18. Thats the only source i can find. Split the differnce on my million! lol
That 'source' being well known truth teller Joey Barton in a radio interview saying he "thinks" it happened.

Funnily enough his interview is discredited by those Ipswich accounts I looked at. While you were right that the period I mentioned didn't include the time Pennington was there, by coincidence it did include the time that England's under 20 World Cup winner Callum Connolly was there. Barton claims that he "thinks" we got £500k as a fee for him too, and yet Ipswich's formally submitted accounts say they only paid £436,000 in total for all of their incoming transfers. So the source you went looking for to prove you right, has actually proved you wrong. Remarkable scenes.

Not really true with Baines or Jagielka to be fair. Baines started the season in the team, got injured and was out for a couple of months, and then struggled to displace Lescott from left back once he was fit again because we were doing so well. I don't doubt that some people would have been happy to sell Baines at that point - in the same way that some people would have been happy to sell Gana this year - but they would have been a tiny minority and quite clearly stupid. Jagielka played virtually every game in his first season with us. Coleman was a bit different in that we all knew he was a latecomer to the game, and he was initially treated as a bit of a novelty having only cost £60k.

It's a difficult balance with young players, you don't want to write them off too soon, but nor do you want to be handing out new contracts which mean you end up with a load of 25 year olds earning £30k a week and not getting a look in. I've seen people saying we should loan out Holgate next season, but that will mean he'll effectively be 24 and have spent 5 years at the club before we look at him becoming a regular. That's not ideal. At some point the club has to make a decision on whether a player is going to make it here or not, and a few of this bunch are beginning to look like the answer is going to be no. There's no shame in that, and it won't mean they can't have very good careers, but we're not Chelsea, we can't have 50 young lads on the books indefinitely just in case they turn out better than we thought.
The problem with bringing in players like Holgate at 17/8 is that you're paying for potential. Then the question is how long do you wait for that potential to be realised before you decide to bail? It's not unreasonable to expect a player such as him not to be 'first team/top six' ready until 24/5, which means you'd have to have him on the books for 5/6 years minimum of you buy that early, or wait and but at a much higher price/risk missing out.

He has made it in the PL though. It's not even an argument. You can't say that someone with 74 PL games under their belt at the age of 22 isn't a PL player, it's ridiculous. There's an argument to be had about how good he is/can be but it is genuinely indisputable that he has 'made it' in the PL.
Until he’s scoring goals on a regular basis you can’t say he’s made it as a PL striker
Has Naisse or Tosun made it as a PL striker

That 'source' being well known truth teller Joey Barton in a radio interview saying he "thinks" it happened.

Funnily enough his interview is discredited by those Ipswich accounts I looked at. While you were right that the period I mentioned didn't include the time Pennington was there, by coincidence it did include the time that England's under 20 World Cup winner Callum Connolly was there. Barton claims that he "thinks" we got £500k as a fee for him too, and yet Ipswich's formally submitted accounts say they only paid £436,000 in total for all of their incoming transfers. So the source you went looking for to prove you right, has actually proved you wrong. Remarkable scenes.

You post the most brilliant crazy stuff mate, I’d be a big of yours for that alone. Somehow you’ve gone from England World Cup U20 players, via Matthew Pennington’s loan fee, out of date Ipswich accounts, Joey Barton to Callum Connolly and you believe you are providing a logical justified coherent argument. I think you are arguing with yourself at this stage and one of you is right and other one is wrong.

Best of luck in all future evdevours. lol

You post the most brilliant crazy stuff mate, I’d be a big of yours for that alone. Somehow you’ve gone from England World Cup U20 players, via Matthew Pennington’s loan fee, out of date Ipswich accounts, Joey Barton to Callum Connolly and you believe you are providing a logical justified coherent argument. I think you are arguing with yourself at this stage and one of you is right and other one is wrong.

Best of luck in all future evdevours. lol
Good comeback mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.