The England U20 World Cup Winning Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what you mean by prove I suppose. A quick look at Ipswich's published accounts tells me that they made a profit of around £3m on player trading last year, which they put down to selling a player to Bristol City for £3.5m and one to Barnsley for a reported £750k. They signed 8 players and loaned 3 more. So on the basis that those 11 players apparently cost a total of somewhere in the region of £1.25m, it's pretty safe to say that we can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they aren't shelling out £1m every time they loan somebody.

Proof of opinion, id like to think such thing dont exist lol. Fair play mate that is some lengths and time to go through to try and prove a point, respect, it actually doesnt mean that much to me. I would however suggest it is not for the first time in this debate that the "facts" are somewhat disingenuous or distorted to the actuality or the spirit of the situation, unless Ipswich have released their accounts for season 18/19 already, else wise you are reporting on a period that doesn't cover when Pennington's transfer took place. You may be right, you may be wrong but 10/10 for effort. respect. Be interesting to look at Leeds last year if you have the time, or Derby who came in for him in Jan, there is always a wider context in terms of player trading.

As i say its unprovable as its not reported, i certainly havent come across a reliable source for loan deals and their context. Pennigton strikes me as the type of loan investment player the club are trying to cultivate, through making his wage cost neutral, getting in a loan fee, building a profile at a level and eventually making a pure profit in selling him. I dont think its coincidental i think there is a strategy there and why we gave him a new contract. I doubt we've sent Vlasic, Henry and Lookman last year out without monetary gain, i see players down the food chain like Holgate and Pennington doing similar perhaps on a smaller scale. If we arent we are idiots really, but like i say i dont think that is the case.

But we will all believe what we want to be believe in the end anyway.

Last edited:
Proof of opinion, id like to think such thing dont exist lol. Fair play mate that is some lengths and time to go through to try and prove a point, respect, it actually doesnt mean that much to me. I would however suggest it is not for the first time in this debate that the "facts" are somewhat disingenuous or distorted to the actuality, unless Ipswich have released their accounts for season 18/19 already, else wise you are reporting on a period that doesn't cover when Pennington's transfer took place. You may be right, you may be wrong but 10/10 for effort. respect. Be interesting to look at Leeds last year if you have the time, or Derby who came in for him in Jan, there is always a wider context in terms of player trading.

As i say its unprovable as its not reported, i certainly havent come across a reliable source for loan deals and their context. I doubt we've sent Vlasic, Henry and lookman last year out without monetary gain, i see players down the food chain like Holgate and Pennington doing similar perhaps on a smaller scale. If we arent we are idiots really.

But we will all believe what we want to be believe in the end anyway.
It literally took about 2 minutes out of a day in which I'm sat in an office with very little work to do. There was 15 minutes between your post and mine, in which time I saw you'd replied, read it, looked at the accounts and wrote my own reply, it's hardly 'some lengths'. I also didn't check it to prove you wrong, I checked it because I wondered if there was a possibility you were right. If you had been i'd have said as much, rather than blustering like a kid who's been caught lying like you are now. You can make it sound like i'm being weird if it makes you feel better like, but it probably took you as long to write your reply telling me you're too cool to care about actual facts as it did for me to check them, so it makes you look a bit daft to be honest.

There's nothing disingenuous about it. The point is that last year Ipswich signed 11 players for £1.25m, as documented in their accounts. You now want to say that in the space of a year they've gone from doing that to splashing out a million just for one player on loan. They've got 7 players on loan at the minute, so unless Pennington is a special case, you're seemingly suggesting they've spent in the region of £7m on players they can only have for a year. They really haven't, but in order to protect your feelings, we'll pretend that's just my opinion.

It literally took about 2 minutes out of a day in which I'm sat in an office with very little work to do. There was 15 minutes between your post and mine, in which time I saw you'd replied, read it, looked at the accounts and wrote my own reply, it's hardly 'some lengths'. I also didn't check it to prove you wrong, I checked it because I wondered if there was a possibility you were right. If you had been i'd have said as much, rather than blustering like a kid who's been caught lying like you are now. You can make it sound like i'm being weird if it makes you feel better like, but it probably took you as long to write your reply telling me you're too cool to care about actual facts as it did for me to check them, so it makes you look a bit daft to be honest.

There's nothing disingenuous about it. The point is that last year Ipswich signed 11 players for £1.25m, as documented in their accounts. You now want to say that in the space of a year they've gone from doing that to splashing out a million just for one player on loan. They've got 7 players on loan at the minute, so unless Pennington is a special case, you're seemingly suggesting they've spent in the region of £7m on players they can only have for a year. They really haven't, but in order to protect your feelings, we'll pretend that's just my opinion.

Ok mate, ill pull back a bit from you now because this has gotten a bit personalised, off topic, odd and is getting a bit weird no personal offence intended, apologies for any offense however unintentional.

On the point itself, i said its an area i find frustrating as there is very poor reporting of deals, i think you have underlined that really with making subjective assumptions and protaying them as facts. You have gone off and looked at Ipswichs finances from a year that doesnt cover the period of Pennigton deal and made an assumption. You could be right, you could be wrong unfortunately it just cant be proven. there is always context, if you look at our trading sheet you would say we couldnt of spent what we did last summer, yet we did. There can be owner/shareholder investment, improved commercial revenue, there can be debt taken on, there could be finance made on player trading in the period and there can be wage relief etc, that may or not be the case, but you are guessing and assuming really. My point is neither of us can prove we are right. I plucked 1 mill out of the air really i have no basis for that admittedly, i wasnt trying to be literal perhaps aspirational. You made a sweeping statement about sending players out to loan and costing the club moeny with an emphasis on development singularly rather then financial benefit, i dont agree with that personally in the short or long term. I would tend to believe myself that Everton enter into loan arrangements to their financial benefit strategically to maximising our young players as assets and reducing our own liability on keeping them eventually to make a clear profit. You mentioned Chelsea, who make an absolute fortune through their loan system, we are moving to something similar in my opinion, perhaps to a smaller scale. If you believe differently thats Kool and significant others who play instruments.

Last edited:
...a month or so ago, lots on here we’re suggesting DCL should be on loan at a Championship club. It’s a bit of a lazy viewpoint to take.

The truth is, it’s very difficult to gauge the future capability of most youngsters. For example, I was thinking earlier about how avarege Kevin Ratcliffe was when he came into the side as a LB.

At international level, there’s clearly a strategy to keep that group of players together. Kenny, Dowell and Lookman get rare top flight game time but still play at international level. It seems to be working, especially with the introduction of young, inexperienced players at full international. I wouldn’t in the least bit surprised if DCL is in a full England squad in the very near future.
Withe Kane being young and Wilson scoring goals I cant see a place for DCL in the enior set up

Jonjoe Kenny was playing ahead of Wan Bissaka for England U20, winning the World Cup. Bissaka got a break 18 months ago due to injury to other players and got a run in the team, fair play to him he took his chance and has cemented the position. JJK didn't do the same when Coleman was injured but didn't do too bad. He may well yet come in again and make that step.

I mean, Wan-Bissaka wasn’t even a right-back 18 months ago I don’t think.

P.S. Wiki has a source saying we received 500k in a loan fee from Leeds for Pennigton in 17-18. Thats the only source i can find. Split the differnce on my million! lol

Even though he’s currently a PL striker?
Currently because we have no other options.
Do you think his goalscoring record in games played is good enough.
I think its 1 goal in the last 6 games
I like the lad and his workrate but lets be honest ,if he doesnt start scoring goals he wont make it here or elsewhere in the PL

Currently because we have no other options.
Do you think his goalscoring record in games played is good enough.
I think its 1 goal in the last 6 games
I like the lad and his workrate but lets be honest ,if he doesnt start scoring goals he wont make it here or elsewhere in the PL

If you think no other team in the PL would play DCL then you haven’t got a clue about football.

A few months at most.
when hes fit he an automatic choice and rightly so.
I cant see DCL being a PL striker UNLESS he starts scoring goals

....I remember a few people saying the same about Graeme Sharp, but he got his quota and I think DCL will as well. They’re not all prolific scorers. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of Premier League teams would love to have DCL as their ‘Premier League striker’.

Status
Not open for further replies.