The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, the atmosphere at Goodison is not great. It's never been the same since standing stopped. Back in the day when you'd get a team like Villa bringing 10,000 and taking over the whole of the Park End you'd get a great atmosphere. Modern football sucks in comparison, it's like sitting in a theatre waiting for the act to entertain you.

after the full time whistle yesterday waiting in the que to get out the exit, all the weirdos behind me started clapping the players

honestly don't get it, why are they clapping them after that
Even on here there were dozens of supporters saying how "proud" they were when we lost at Anfield. Again.

Just a bunch of weirdos.

There are crazy people watching football at all levels from champions league to Saturday morning in the park. I'm not sure that's going to change.

Sure it's not ideal having a complete rocket beside you, but you can always change seat, or ask for them to be moved to a different seat. I'm not sure stopping going is the right response.

Some people are more sensitive than others too. I've sat beside some absolute nutters in recent years too. Especially in the top balcony I must add. But it doesn't really bother me. I've always thought that's part and parcel of being in a crowd. As long as it doesn't overstep the line of what's acceptable or leave people in fear, then I don't think we can stop that.

Oh i agree with you mate, i remember playing sunday league as a kid and one of our teams dad's had a weapon of choice that was a car stearing lock!

To agree with you mate, i think the agression at Goodison in the past has always been to help the team, how many teams (and refs) over the years have buckled under that intimidating atmosphere of agression, we have never really been a fan base that has "sang" our team to victory!
I listened to a podcast afew weeks ago were Howard Webb name checked Goodison nad the Bullens to be pretty intimidating as you could hear the agression and some of the stuff being shouted he said "he knew refs" that would crumble and favour the home team.

I started going from 96-14 and it has always been a great atmosphere, different to most grounds, but when i came back this season, its change and not for the good.

you cant deny that surely?

The club would need to change their ticketing policy if they are needing to sell approx 12k-15k on general every game. 44-49 quid range is expensive. We simply wouldn't sell out at those prices.

What I mean by double edged sword.

The thread is on atmosphere and the crowd, it would be remiss to not discuss the significant change in dynamic from season ticket holders.

'Day trippers' or whatever you want to label them, fans who go the odd game with a greater sense of occasion typically spend more, make more noise.

There is a reason a lot of clubs cap season tickets...

I also think too many season tickets risk limiting potential fans (students etc) by denying access to the game but then that's a whole other debate.

I’m not being funny, but do modern fans really want to jump around singing what are if I’m honest pretty cringeworthy songs all game?

People have changed.

Oh i agree with you mate, i remember playing sunday league as a kid and one of our teams dad's had a weapon of choice that was a car stearing lock!

To agree with you mate, i think the agression at Goodison in the past has always been to help the team, how many teams (and refs) over the years have buckled under that intimidating atmosphere of agression, we have never really been a fan base that has "sang" our team to victory!
I listened to a podcast afew weeks ago were Howard Webb name checked Goodison nad the Bullens to be pretty intimidating as you could hear the agression and some of the stuff being shouted he said "he knew refs" that would crumble and favour the home team.

I started going from 96-14 and it has always been a great atmosphere, different to most grounds, but when i came back this season, its change and not for the good.

you cant deny that surely?

It depends what part of the ground you go in too. In those games were we all say Goodison was a bear pit. They're the games that the Gwladys St would 'sing them to victory' but if you were elsewhere then you'd look back and say that it was all about the individual shouts rather than the singing. It is a ground where the two can co exist without realising it,

Totally disagree. Merseyside has always had a footballing culture unlike anything else in the country. I hate the idea we will become like all the rest. I pray our new stadium will have some unique features and not just be another souless smaller emirates/wembley. Like palace singing all the way through 90 minutes like they are at church or something. Its fake, put on. People don't just start singing or shouting (other than when teams walk out) for no reason otherwise they have a mental health problem.

My greatest memories are some trophy wins and great nights watching Everton. There was no singing all the way through. It was nervous energy than a massive adrenaline rush/screaming/singing after goals, tackles or wins.

If you want to sing all day ot think thats great go on or watch the x-factor.

I agree and I too have seen the good times and I also agree that we didn't sing all the way through matches especially when they were major gut wrenching events. However we made a bit more noise than a library which is what GP has become in recent years.

However as posted elsewhere I blame the dreadful performances on the pitch and the "couldn't care less" attitude of the players in recent years.

Putting seats in the Street end - although legally required - also diminished the atmosphere.

Finally, and this is a serious point, if you have ever been to a GAA match where all the players are amateurs you will understand passion both on the pitch and in the support.

I dont think the crazy money is helping the PL in terms of passion.

I’m not being funny, but do modern fans really want to jump around singing what are if I’m honest pretty cringeworthy songs all game?

People have changed.
They have and in this case they've changed for the worse.

Why bother going the match at all then? The whole experience of supporting "your team" and pretending that a gang of disinterested multimillionaires represent you while kicking a football around is pretty cringeworthy if you think that way. Why bother at all?

People have changed.
Thing is we do sing some of the worst, to hear the Park End sing "we only sing when were wining" has to be one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard. For a team who don't seem to be winning very often, a song straight from Soccer AM

Thing is we do sing some of the worst, to hear the Park End sing "we only sing when were wining" has to be one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard. For a team who don't seem to be winning very often, a song straight from Soccer AM
I mean historically some of our chants have been in my opinion some of the most imaginative in the league, the soccer AM “#bantz” has definitely crept in

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.