The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm like a stuck record but a significant problem is we've over subscribed season tickets. What is it, 9 in every 10 seats sold out before a ball is kicked - a massive increase in kids season tickets because they cost buttons. There are too many going through the motions/routine - myself included.

It's short-sighted and we should put a low cap on total season tickets for any new stadium.

I think that's the case for most clubs though. Season ticket subscription is around 90% quite often.

I genuinely don't think it's a problem. You need to encourage consistent attendance because my generation, the 20-30s have no perseverance and will blow in and out of going. There's not the same loyalty anymore and people are getting more and more fickle.

There were 39k there for a lunch time game on New Years Day. That's excellent support.

But I fully expected someone at some point to blame the fans, because it seems fashionable within the nucleus of super blues. I can only assume those who always moan about atmosphere were non stop trying to start songs, waving flags, holding up banners and clapping furiously every time we found a team mate.

The only boos were at full time. The crowd where quite patient yesterday compared to last season. Leicester only brought the lower tier. By the logic of the blame the fans brigade, how did they win with such poor support?

The Goodison atmosphere won't improve until there is less money spent every week on players who show no pride of performance and no pride in the blue shirt. The current crop certainly don't deserve our support. Why should we revere players who are here for their bank balance and happy to go through the motions?

without getting into a tit for tat argument on what we think is good support.
I dont think the numbers is everything you should look at, i think alot of people turn up out of habit, the enjoyment of going the game has long been seeped out of them (alot of it over the 14-17 seasons) but people just keep going as it is "what we do".
People may just see it as a way away from the wife, abit of time with there dad, they have done this since they were 10 and know no different.
There is also the big factor of being worried about missing out on Bramley Moore.

Watford at home the other week, some fella was yelling and screaming at the players, to a point were people around me were wondering if his head would pop, sat right next to him was a family of a dad and 3 lads! The youngest sat right next to this mentalist fella! The dad obviously tried asking him to calm it down a little as he was next to his 8 year old kid. "If you dont like it you can F&$k right off, this is s&*t, why should we have to sit through this". The fella lost his rag and started shouting "He's only 8 years old for christ sake" before asking the kids to switch seats so the older lad could sit there! About 15 minutes later, (around the 70 minute mark) the fella got up with his kids and got off, as the fella wouldnt stop.
What sort of place is that for an 8 year old?
"Dad, i dont want to go back there again"

Thats just one example i know, but there are loads of people like that at the game......................if its getting you that hett up-why go?

Now i also understand them people are not going to stop going, as they tend to be the ones that keep going out of habit, so what can wee do?
I agree, the people who moan about the moaners need to do more than just tutt a little and come on a forum or twitter about it (a'la me)

Can noise drown them out? Potentially

Just like the team needs, the fans need time i feel we need a reset button! A fresh intake if you will

I think that's the case for most clubs though. Season ticket subscription is around 90% quite often.

I genuinely don't think it's a problem. You need to encourage consistent attendance because my generation, the 20-30s have no perseverance and will blow in and out of going. There's not the same loyalty anymore and people are getting more and more fickle.

would not necesarilly be a bad thing!

They can't even be arsed to voice their displeasure. A quick one-second boo after a humiliating home defeat and then a generous round of applause for the losers on the field. No wonder nothing ever changes.

after the full time whistle yesterday waiting in the que to get out the exit, all the weirdos behind me started clapping the players

honestly don't get it, why are they clapping them after that

without getting into a tit for tat argument on what we think is good support.
I dont think the numbers is everything you should look at, i think alot of people turn up out of habit, the enjoyment of going the game has long been seeped out of them (alot of it over the 14-17 seasons) but people just keep going as it is "what we do".
People may just see it as a way away from the wife, abit of time with there dad, they have done this since they were 10 and know no different.
There is also the big factor of being worried about missing out on Bramley Moore.

Watford at home the other week, some fella was yelling and screaming at the players, to a point were people around me were wondering if his head would pop, sat right next to him was a family of a dad and 3 lads! The youngest sat right next to this mentalist fella! The dad obviously tried asking him to calm it down a little as he was next to his 8 year old kid. "If you dont like it you can F&$k right off, this is s&*t, why should we have to sit through this". The fella lost his rag and started shouting "He's only 8 years old for christ sake" before asking the kids to switch seats so the older lad could sit there! About 15 minutes later, (around the 70 minute mark) the fella got up with his kids and got off, as the fella wouldnt stop.
What sort of place is that for an 8 year old?
"Dad, i dont want to go back there again"

Thats just one example i know, but there are loads of people like that at the game......................if its getting you that hett up-why go?

Now i also understand them people are not going to stop going, as they tend to be the ones that keep going out of habit, so what can wee do?
I agree, the people who moan about the moaners need to do more than just tutt a little and come on a forum or twitter about it (a'la me)

Can noise drown them out? Potentially

Just like the team needs, the fans need time i feel we need a reset button! A fresh intake if you will

There are crazy people watching football at all levels from champions league to Saturday morning in the park. I'm not sure that's going to change.

Sure it's not ideal having a complete rocket beside you, but you can always change seat, or ask for them to be moved to a different seat. I'm not sure stopping going is the right response.

Some people are more sensitive than others too. I've sat beside some absolute nutters in recent years too. Especially in the top balcony I must add. But it doesn't really bother me. I've always thought that's part and parcel of being in a crowd. As long as it doesn't overstep the line of what's acceptable or leave people in fear, then I don't think we can stop that.

Everything in football is 'put on' in 2019. EVERYTHING.

You sneer at the idea of a singing section but seriously what would be the problem with a section of blues who just want to sing and support the side all game, every game?

Totally disagree. Merseyside has always had a footballing culture unlike anything else in the country. I hate the idea we will become like all the rest. I pray our new stadium will have some unique features and not just be another souless smaller emirates/wembley. Like palace singing all the way through 90 minutes like they are at church or something. Its fake, put on. People don't just start singing or shouting (other than when teams walk out) for no reason otherwise they have a mental health problem.

My greatest memories are some trophy wins and great nights watching Everton. There was no singing all the way through. It was nervous energy than a massive adrenaline rush/screaming/singing after goals, tackles or wins.

If you want to sing all day ot think thats great go on or watch the x-factor.

I don't think it is.

Take Liverpool. 54,000 attendance. 25,000 season ticket holders, held by 19,000 people.

Everton, 39,000. 32,000+ season ticket holders.

We have more season ticket holders than Liverpool. There is a reason they, and clubs like Spurs etc cap their season tickets.

We did an article on it the other year, there's a table;

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/07/15/everton-2016-17-season-ticket-sales-update/

Given Everton now have 32,000+ season tickets and if we consider Everton ‘sold out’ vs Manchester United with a capacity of 39,553, and Liverpool with a capacity of 39,598 – there isn’t a great amount of tickets left when you factor in away allocation and partner tickets…

It’s led to some concerns that Everton’s decision to allocate so much of Goodison Park’s capacity to season tickets will restrict access to fans that are unable to be a season ticket holder.

Ricky Martin commented in our forum: “I was introduced to football on the “dad and lad” going to the odd few games a season – there’s no way my family could have afforded a season ticket for the both of us. It wasn’t a realistic option. Plenty of times in the 90’s we walked up on the day when my dad had found a bit of spare money lying about. I hope there aren’t similar boys and girls in similar predicaments who end up disappointed and never capture the excitement and buzz of walking up the steps and seeing the pitch”.

seasontickets2.jpg

Considering total capacity, I think we've over egged it.

"Everton have added almost 10,000 more Season Ticket holders from six years ago"

... I think it has an impact on atmosphere.

I don't think it is.

Take Liverpool. 54,000 attendance. 25,000 season ticket holders, held by 19,000 people.

Everton, 39,000. 32,000+ season ticket holders.

We have more season ticket holders than Liverpool. There is a reason they, and clubs like Spurs etc cap their season tickets.

We did an article on it the other year, there's a table;

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/07/15/everton-2016-17-season-ticket-sales-update/

seasontickets2.jpg

Considering total capacity, I think we've over egged it.

"Everton have added almost 10,000 more Season Ticket holders from six years ago"

... I think it has an impact on atmosphere.

I'm not sure those figures are up to date.

The Liverpool figures for example are based on their old 40k capacity. I'd be amazed they haven't had big increase.

If we took 7 or 8k off the ST numbers, then we wouldn't sell out that often. Yesterday my ticket was 45 quid. That's pricey enough and I don't think we'd sell 13 or 14k at that figure.

I'm not sure those figures are up to date.

The Liverpool figures for example are based on their old 40k capacity. I'd be amazed they haven't had big increase.

If we took 7 or 8k off the ST numbers, then we wouldn't sell out that often. Yesterday my ticket was 45 quid. That's pricey enough and I don't think we'd sell 13 or 14k at that figure.

They haven't.

Table is only from 16/17.

As of now, Liverpool still currently have 25/26,000 season ticket holders. I think they put less than 1k on.

I reckon we'll be top 3 or 4 in the league for % of tickets on a match day that are season ticket holders. It's a double edged sword.

Totally disagree. Merseyside has always had a footballing culture unlike anything else in the country. I hate the idea we will become like all the rest. I pray our new stadium will have some unique features and not just be another souless smaller emirates/wembley. Like palace singing all the way through 90 minutes like they are at church or something. Its fake, put on. People don't just start singing or shouting (other than when teams walk out) for no reason otherwise they have a mental health problem.

My greatest memories are some trophy wins and great nights watching Everton. There was no singing all the way through. It was nervous energy than a massive adrenaline rush/screaming/singing after goals, tackles or wins.

If you want to sing all day ot think thats great go on or watch the x-factor.
So you're happy to sit for 90mins every game in utter silance? Because that's pretty much what we've got right now. We already are like the rest, that special culture is pretty much al but gone. Goodison also a morgue these days and yes I know it's down to wants on the pitch but sitting in just makes the whole experience even more miserable.

You know your memories of winning stuff pal? Well anyone who's 30 or younger hasn't got that. We've got one single FA Cup to rember from when we were kids and that's it. I'd brace yourself for disappointment if you think the new stadium will be anything like Goodison, it might have a better design but all new stadiums are soulless.

It's not about singing for 90mins none stop like at a concert, it's about trying to get some atmosphere or anything that approaches it back at Goodison because it's dead right now and has been for going on eight years.

Fans need to stop being idiots over the word 'singing'. We must be the only set of fans who talk absolute rush as soon as that word is mentioned.

If someone boos you get fans saying you pay your money you can boo if you want. Fair enough, but then if someone sings at the match they get accused of being a happy clapper or some other stupid phrase . I pay my money I'll sing if I want.

They haven't.

Table is only from 16/17.

As of now, Liverpool still currently have 25/26,000 season ticket holders. I think they put less than 1k on.

I reckon we'll be top 3 or 4 in the league for % of tickets on a match day that are season ticket holders. It's a double edged sword.

The club would need to change their ticketing policy if they are needing to sell approx 12k-15k on general every game. 44-49 quid range is expensive. We simply wouldn't sell out at those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.