The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
DuKng4AW4AQgQw-

The atmosphere at Goodison is embarrassing. The only time we make any noise is when we're abusing our own players. Barkley and Stones used to be the scapegoats; now it's Keane and Coleman.

We used to be like a 12 man but nowadays we do more to help the opposition than our own team.

It wasn't as bad as this when we were fighting relegation during the days of Walker, Kendall Mk III and Walter Smith.

Our fans did target Stones and Barkley for abuse but I don't think that was the main reason for them leaving.

They left because we've only won one trophy in the last 30 years.

I'm old enough to remember when the Goodison crowd was like a 12th man.

The first couple of years of Kendall's successful first spell in charge were actually really bad. We were crap. But the fans stuck with the team and we eventually came good. After the Bayern game at Goodison, Kendall said that it felt like the fans in the Gwladys Street End had “sucked the ball into the Bayern net.”

At the end of the day, abusing our own players is not going to imbue them with confidence and make them play better. Quite the opposite.

When we were utterly crap last season I'd watch most teams and be jealous that they play actual football, but now I watch and envy the fact that most teams have some form of atmosphere with people on their feet making a bit of noise

I couldn't make it on Monday so watched at home but it was silent the whole game. I can understand if we get off to a bad start then it might go quiet after a while but there's no atmosphere from the first minute. That's not a reaction to how we're playing because the games only just started.

There are several teams that do make a decent amount of noise at home but a lot of them use a drum so it doesn't count.

At least when we're having a go at our own players there's noise. The fact 40,000 people can be so quiet is unnerving.

Amazing we have maintained a good home record over recent years with the atmosphere the way it is.

At least when we're having a go at our own players there's noise. The fact 40,000 people can be so quiet is unnerving.

Amazing we have maintained a good home record over recent years with the atmosphere the way it is.

The funny thing is the atmosphere would've been miles worse and more stale if we'd just won 2-0 or something. You only have to look at the crowd's response to actually taking the lead, half-arsed cheers for 20 seconds and then not a flicker of anything for the next 20 minutes. People will have you believe it's all reaction to a poor performance though.

The funny thing is the atmosphere would've been miles worse and more stale if we'd just won 2-0 or something. You only have to look at the crowd's response to actually taking the lead, half-arsed cheers for 20 seconds and then not a flicker of anything for the next 20 minutes. People will have you believe it's all reaction to a poor performance though.

Take it you created absolute scenes when we went 1-0 up against Watford?

Status
Not open for further replies.