Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairs, I though Wan Bissaka was slightly younger!

He's an outstanding talent but very raw and Coleman is still, despite his iffy start this season, among the top five right-backs in the Premier League. He's only just turning 30, and has another two-three years ahead of him at the top I'd say, injuries permitting.

If it was a player we had signed from overseas and someone that there wasnt a certain affinity to then I'd be fine selling and replacing with Wan-Bissaka or perhaps Militao (linked from Porto but perhaps at CB)...

Thats what Spurs effectively have sought to do at full back with Walker/Trippier to some extent and on the oppisite side too...

The thing with Coleman is that he does have the leadership and is a bit of a 'one club man' in that respect...

So its a case of sentimentality as well as leadership i think as hes not been great for a while.

What do you think Colemans market value would be?

If we went with one DM playmaker and had 2 CMs in front then how would you compare him to Doucoure ?

Hmm...

I don't think RLC is that similar to Doucoure. I'd say Doucoure is better getting on the ball and driving from deep and is definitely better defensively - more of a classic box-to-box player.

I'd say RLC is actually more suited to the 'number 10' role in a 4-2-3-1 than any other position. He's not naturally a playmaker, but - and this is the point a lot of people don't seem to be grasping - it's very rare that a playmaker actually occupies that position anymore.

So I'd say having him as the central player in that kind of system would be his best role. He has the ability to get back on the ball and carry it forward, and has the intelligence to pop it off.

I do think he could work in a 4-3-3 (with a deep-lying playmaker), as well, but not really in a Doucoure role of being everywhere at once.

If it was a player we had signed from overseas and someone that there wasnt a certain affinity to then I'd be fine selling and replacing with Wan-Bissaka or perhaps Militao (linked from Porto but perhaps at CB)...

Thats what Spurs effectively have sought to do at full back with Walker/Trippier to some extent and on the oppisite side too...

The thing with Coleman is that he does have the leadership and is a bit of a 'one club man' in that respect...

So its a case of sentimentality as well as leadership i think as hes not been great for a while.

What do you think Colemans market value would be?

Coleman would probably fetch £15-20m currently. That's just being realistic due to his age and the recent injury.

He was superb in the months leading up to his injury, which is what made it all even worse. He was recapturing that form that he had in 13/14.

I'm sure it'll come back. As well as Kenny did on Saturday, we massively miss Seamus, and we know that even on his bad days he's very rarely going to be less than a 6/10.

Hmm...

I don't think RLC is that similar to Doucoure. I'd say Doucoure is better getting on the ball and driving from deep and is definitely better defensively - more of a classic box-to-box player.

I'd say RLC is actually more suited to the 'number 10' role in a 4-2-3-1 than any other position. He's not naturally a playmaker, but - and this is the point a lot of people don't seem to be grasping - it's very rare that a playmaker actually occupies that position anymore.

So I'd say having him as the central player in that kind of system would be his best role. He has the ability to get back on the ball and carry it forward, and has the intelligence to pop it off.

I do think he could work in a 4-3-3 (with a deep-lying playmaker), as well, but not really in a Doucoure role of being everywhere at once.

I cant see him being Silvas choice of a number 10...that would be a Bernard type (if not bernard himself) i suspect.

If were going to look at a DM playmaker with 2 in front then @Nymzee highlighting Ndombele makes more sense for me...i noticed Silva saying we miss Gana's 'intensity' when hes out so i could see us going for that type of player.

Coleman would probably fetch £15-20m currently. That's just being realistic due to his age and the recent injury.

He was superb in the months leading up to his injury, which is what made it all even worse. He was recapturing that form that he had in 13/14.

I'm sure it'll come back. As well as Kenny did on Saturday, we massively miss Seamus, and we know that even on his bad days he's very rarely going to be less than a 6/10.

I wonder if Brands and Silva will look at his age (and others hovering around 30) and seek to cash in. After all, thats been the PSV model (albeit with much younger players and signing cheap stop gaps or more young lads).

I think alot depends on how Kenny fares and also if the interest in Militao is real...Porto may like a quick €20mil profit (as media reports suggest) which would in theory see us balance the books by selling Coleman.

Interesting couple of windows ahead.

I cant see him being Silvas choice of a number 10...that would be a Bernard type (if not bernard himself) i suspect.

If were going to look at a DM playmaker with 2 in front then @Nymzee highlighting Ndombele makes more sense for me...i noticed Silva saying we miss Gana's 'intensity' when hes out so i could see us going for that type of player.

It's weird because Silva has never really played with a 10 in the PL before - he's gone 4-3-3. I think he's playing this current 4-4-1-1 system while all the players settle and to make use of Gylfi, because whatever people think of Gylfi his workrate will always help with a pressing game, and technically he's our best player (alongside Bernard/Richarlison).

But I agree, I don't think we would go for RLC personally.

It's weird because Silva has never really played with a 10 in the PL before - he's gone 4-3-3. I think he's playing this current 4-4-1-1 system while all the players settle and to make use of Gylfi, because whatever people think of Gylfi his workrate will always help with a pressing game, and technically he's our best player (alongside Bernard/Richarlison).

But I agree, I don't think we would go for RLC personally.

I think Walcott, Sigurdsson and Coleman will be interesting cases over the next 2 windows...

Coleman -- As already mentioned
Sigurdsson -- Silva may revert to 2 CMs
Walcott -- Not top class and no spring chicken

All have values which will drop as they age over the next couple of seasons which Brands will have an eye on.

Sorry should be AWB Andre Winson Bissouma, Young palace right back.

I’ve an interest in Brooks as we were in for him.

Cook was the best player on the England team that did do well underage.
Top sentence is one of the funniest things I've read on here

I think Walcott, Sigurdsson and Coleman will be interesting cases over the next 2 windows...

Coleman -- As already mentioned
Sigurdsson -- Silva may revert to 2 CMs
Walcott -- Not top class and no spring chicken

All have values which will drop as they age over the next couple of seasons which Brands will have an eye on.

While I agree with the principle, I don't think any of them will be sold in the coming windows.

Walcott will always be a player who has his use. He has shown no signs of losing his pace because (touch wood) he's not had any injury trouble recently in terms of his hamstrings. And if those hamstrings stay in-tact, then it doesn't matter how old you are (to an extent, obviously) you can keep your pace.

His knack for getting into the area and making good runs is always going to be there as well, so it's not an area that needs desperately addressing. In terms of other options for that position, I think a lot depends on how Lookman gets on. So I'd say Walcott is there until at least summer 2020 (whether that's first choice or not), and I have no issues with that. He's 29 and we knew when we invested it wasn't about getting the money back, it was about him delivering goals and assists which is what he does.

Gyfli, again, only just 29. Doesn't rely on pace and doesn't have a bad injury history. Whether he'll be a guaranteed starter in a year or so remains to be seen, but definitely a good player to have in the squad. Like it or not (and I know you don't not rate Gylfi btw, mate) he's probably our best outfield player.

Coleman, as you said we've been over.

I just don't see Brands/Silva looking to shift them all on. Maybe gradually, eventually, but those three are model pros that should be in the squad to complement the younger players we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.