So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, it’s an international break so here’s an international break thread.

I always think longevity is a factor in being a true Everton great, but there are many who had a significantly positive impact despite not being at the club very long. Using a maximum of 110 league games as criteria, here’s my team from the time I started watching;

1) Andy Rankin (85 games) - sat in Gwladys St when he made that save in the penalty shoot-out against Borussia Monchengladbach. Folklore.

2) Alan Harper (103) - Mr Versatile and a few crucial goals to throw in the mix.
4) Tony Kay (57) - career cut short but would surely have been an Everton and England great.
5) Derek Mountfield (110) - 19 goals from CB. Those of us at Villa Park and such places thank him for the memories.
3) Paul Power (54) - right time, right place. Outstanding in the ‘87 title win, what an astute piece of business by Kendall.

7) Andrei Kanchelskis (52) - all too brief but memorable.
6) Paul Bracewell (95) - what a player for us in the mid-80s, had a major impact despite a serious injury.
11) Dave Thomas (71) - socks rolled down, crossing at speed from the bye-line for Latchford. Tremendous.

10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

8) Andy Gray (49) - so few games but drove us to success in the mid-80s with attitude and ability.
9) Gary Lineker (41) - 30 goals. Incredible for just one trophyless season.

Subs - Alan Whittle (74); Wayne Clarke (75); Mike Trebilcock (11).
Couldn't argue with any of them but I think you left championship winning member out, another very versatile player with a few goals in him, Richardson, he also won a league medal with Arsenal, like Harper he never moaned when dropped from the team and always gave one hundred per cent in every game he played.

Couldn't argue with any of them but I think you left championship winning member out, another very versatile player with a few goals in him, Richardson, he also won a league medal with Arsenal, like Harper he never moaned when dropped from the team and always gave one hundred per cent in every game he played.

..I mentioned him earlier in the thread, Cameron. I agree, Certainly worthy of inclusion.

Well, it’s an international break so here’s an international break thread.

I always think longevity is a factor in being a true Everton great, but there are many who had a significantly positive impact despite not being at the club very long. Using a maximum of 110 league games as criteria, here’s my team from the time I started watching;

1) Andy Rankin (85 games) - sat in Gwladys St when he made that save in the penalty shoot-out against Borussia Monchengladbach. Folklore.

2) Alan Harper (103) - Mr Versatile and a few crucial goals to throw in the mix.
4) Tony Kay (57) - career cut short but would surely have been an Everton and England great.
5) Derek Mountfield (110) - 19 goals from CB. Those of us at Villa Park and such places thank him for the memories.
3) Paul Power (54) - right time, right place. Outstanding in the ‘87 title win, what an astute piece of business by Kendall.

7) Andrei Kanchelskis (52) - all too brief but memorable.
6) Paul Bracewell (95) - what a player for us in the mid-80s, had a major impact despite a serious injury.
11) Dave Thomas (71) - socks rolled down, crossing at speed from the bye-line for Latchford. Tremendous.

10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

8) Andy Gray (49) - so few games but drove us to success in the mid-80s with attitude and ability.
9) Gary Lineker (41) - 30 goals. Incredible for just one trophyless season.

Subs - Alan Whittle (74); Wayne Clarke (75); Mike Trebilcock (11).
Deffo agree with most of those. Kanchelskis was indeed all too brief, and I didn’t realise Andy Gray only played 8 more games than Lineker, who in any other season would’ve had a league and cup double.

Mike Trebilcock is included I see and quite rightly, but on a similar note Paul Rideout only made 111 league appearances for us too.

Just had a quick glance through this thread and was surprised to see just one mention for Joe 'the pie man' Parkinson. As hard as nails but also a technically gifted player. He suffered terrible injuries as a result of his willingness to put his body on the line. The ultimate 'dog of war' forced to retire at a young age.
In terms of 'impact' Alan Whittle would have to be up there if only for his vital contributions to the 69/70 title win.

Status
Not open for further replies.