So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggs

Player Valuation: £100m
Well, it’s an international break so here’s an international break thread.

I always think longevity is a factor in being a true Everton great, but there are many who had a significantly positive impact despite not being at the club very long. Using a maximum of 110 league games as criteria, here’s my team from the time I started watching;

1) Andy Rankin (85 games) - sat in Gwladys St when he made that save in the penalty shoot-out against Borussia Monchengladbach. Folklore.

2) Alan Harper (103) - Mr Versatile and a few crucial goals to throw in the mix.
4) Tony Kay (57) - career cut short but would surely have been an Everton and England great.
5) Derek Mountfield (110) - 19 goals from CB. Those of us at Villa Park and such places thank him for the memories.
3) Paul Power (54) - right time, right place. Outstanding in the ‘87 title win, what an astute piece of business by Kendall.

7) Andrei Kanchelskis (52) - all too brief but memorable.
6) Paul Bracewell (95) - what a player for us in the mid-80s, had a major impact despite a serious injury.
11) Dave Thomas (71) - socks rolled down, crossing at speed from the bye-line for Latchford. Tremendous.

10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

8) Andy Gray (49) - so few games but drove us to success in the mid-80s with attitude and ability.
9) Gary Lineker (41) - 30 goals. Incredible for just one trophyless season.

Subs - Alan Whittle (74); Wayne Clarke (75); Mike Trebilcock (11).

Last edited:
10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

No Eggs. Not even arguable. His impact at the most important tournaments was minimal (bar Euro 2004 when he was still a blue).

Enjoyed the rest of your list! I'd add Jermaine Beckford. Scored some classy goals, had a good attitude (on the pitch at least). His story was a bit boys' own stuff, we could imagine being him in that he came up in his mid-20's through the non-league ranks to play for Everton! 10 goals in 40 appearances is not bad considering.

No Eggs. Not even arguable. His impact at the most important tournaments was minimal (bar Euro 2004 when he was still a blue).

Enjoyed the rest of your list! I'd add Jermaine Beckford. Scored some classy goals, had a good attitude (on the pitch at least). His story was a bit boys' own stuff, we could imagine being him in that he came up in his mid-20's through the non-league ranks to play for Everton! 10 goals in 40 appearances is not bad considering.

..it’s funny with Rooney. England’s greatest ever goal scorer, most caps for an outfield player, captained his country, greatest ever Manchester United goalscorer, won virtually every club honour in the game. I think he’ll be really appreciated when he packs in.

He divides opinion but I always loved watching him.

Forgot we even had him! Good shout

Status
Not open for further replies.