So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wood (103).....I thought George was very good, certainly our best goalkeeper in the post West, pre Neville era.

Sadly his reputation never recovered after a goalkeeping error playing for Scotland at Wembley and his game went downhill afterwards.

John Gidman (64)....one of the star performers for Villa during the 1977 trilogy, signed for us two years later.

Apparently Giddo is the only player ever to play professionally for both Merseyside clubs and both Manchester ones, though he never played in the RS first XI.

Ken McNaught (66).......Another alumni of the Villa Trilogy and this young Scot seemed destined to fill Brian Labone’s boots and become a rock at the heart of our defence for years. But in the biggest transfer mystery since Alan Ball, Ken was sold to Villa in the summer of that year and went in to achueve great success, winning both the League Title and the European Cup.

Marco Matterazzi (25)......signed by Walter Smith when he came here in ‘98, Marco is best remembered for Zidanegate in the 2006 World Cup Final

Keith Newton (47).....joined us in the winter of 69/70 and played a part in that season’s Title winning team.

Pat Nevin (109).......sod off, Stuart Pearce :rant:.

That bugger destroyed one of our most exciting buys in the late 80s, an era when we were raiding Chelsea and taking their top talent.

Bruce Rioch (30)......a double signing, along with McMagic, when Billy Bingham belatedly rolled the dice in the autumn of ‘76. Scored in the infamous Clive Thomas semi final.

Asa (81).......Asa was on the verge of a big move to Leeds United, then a mighty force in the land, but he was diagnosed with a hole in the heart during the medical circa 1972. But there was nowt faint hearted about his play and I enjoyed watching him play in Gordon’s team.

Dave Thomas (71)......what 70s survivor does still not drool over memories of Dave thundering down the left wing and putting the ball on to Big Bob’s head ;)

George Telfer (99)......it took George eight years to amass his 99 apps. A good, loyal servant to the club and I always hooed he would have made it big.

Peter Eastoe (95)......for some reason Peter and Imre Varadi are my all time favourite Everton strike partnership (when such things still existed). And Imre would have been in this XI but for the fact I have wanted to write sommat about George Telfer this long while :dance:

COYBB

and a big thank you to @Eggs for starting this thread....I love threads where we get to reminisce about the players we have watched and loved down the Everton decades.

I'd put David Smallman in there, and John Barton, too. I thought both were terrific, although I was of an age when I thought all Everton players were terrific. And I'd try and find a place for Mark Higgins. Even though he played 150 odd games for us, it was nowhere near enough. You're right about how strange it was for McNaught to leave. I remember being really shocked that anyone would want to leave Everton.

I'd put David Smallman in there, and John Barton, too. I thought both were terrific, although I was of an age when I thought all Everton players were terrific. And I'd try and find a place for Mark Higgins. Even though he played 150 odd games for us, it was nowhere near enough. You're right about how strange it was for McNaught to leave. I remember being really shocked that anyone would want to leave Everton.

Yes, Smallman was our great hope when we bought him in what, ‘75?

Well, it’s an international break so here’s an international break thread.

I always think longevity is a factor in being a true Everton great, but there are many who had a significantly positive impact despite not being at the club very long. Using a maximum of 110 league games as criteria, here’s my team from the time I started watching;

1) Andy Rankin (85 games) - sat in Gwladys St when he made that save in the penalty shoot-out against Borussia Monchengladbach. Folklore.

2) Alan Harper (103) - Mr Versatile and a few crucial goals to throw in the mix.
4) Tony Kay (57) - career cut short but would surely have been an Everton and England great.
5) Derek Mountfield (110) - 19 goals from CB. Those of us at Villa Park and such places thank him for the memories.
3) Paul Power (54) - right time, right place. Outstanding in the ‘87 title win, what an astute piece of business by Kendall.

7) Andrei Kanchelskis (52) - all too brief but memorable.
6) Paul Bracewell (95) - what a player for us in the mid-80s, had a major impact despite a serious injury.
11) Dave Thomas (71) - socks rolled down, crossing at speed from the bye-line for Latchford. Tremendous.

10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

8) Andy Gray (49) - so few games but drove us to success in the mid-80s with attitude and ability.
9) Gary Lineker (41) - 30 goals. Incredible for just one trophyless season.

Subs - Alan Whittle (74); Wayne Clarke (75); Mike Trebilcock (11).
Lineker although a good player,made us change our game to accommodate him.Should have stuck to the winning formula.

has lescott been mentioned? can we sneak him in?

113 league games, 14 goals (probably a better goalscoring rate than some of our strikers)

the 07/08 season felt like he was the best defenders in the world

That actually is better than Anichebe's strike rate, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.