So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a stretch, but when Vellios came in as a sub a few times, his goals were awesome! I thought he was going to be our next big striker, but then he just disappeared. I wasn't on any of the forums at the time, so I didn't know what happened to him. I went into the GOT basement a few weeks ago to dig through the files and I found "the rest of the story." haha

Well, it’s an international break so here’s an international break thread.

I always think longevity is a factor in being a true Everton great, but there are many who had a significantly positive impact despite not being at the club very long. Using a maximum of 110 league games as criteria, here’s my team from the time I started watching;

1) Andy Rankin (85 games) - sat in Gwladys St when he made that save in the penalty shoot-out against Borussia Monchengladbach. Folklore.

2) Alan Harper (103) - Mr Versatile and a few crucial goals to throw in the mix.
4) Tony Kay (57) - career cut short but would surely have been an Everton and England great.
5) Derek Mountfield (110) - 19 goals from CB. Those of us at Villa Park and such places thank him for the memories.
3) Paul Power (54) - right time, right place. Outstanding in the ‘87 title win, what an astute piece of business by Kendall.

7) Andrei Kanchelskis (52) - all too brief but memorable.
6) Paul Bracewell (95) - what a player for us in the mid-80s, had a major impact despite a serious injury.
11) Dave Thomas (71) - socks rolled down, crossing at speed from the bye-line for Latchford. Tremendous.

10) Wayne Rooney (98) - Arguably England’s greatest ever player, historic impact coming through as a youngster.

8) Andy Gray (49) - so few games but drove us to success in the mid-80s with attitude and ability.
9) Gary Lineker (41) - 30 goals. Incredible for just one trophyless season.

Subs - Alan Whittle (74); Wayne Clarke (75); Mike Trebilcock (11).
I made it 38 goals. What a striker.

Martyn
Jackson Stones Mori Pistone
Kanchelskis Speed Parkinson Limpar
Saha Yakubu
Bit of a slim pickings there, especially for defence. Pistone was just a tad better than oviedo and valente for me.

Im going to list 4 players which had the most impact on me as an Evertonian who didn't play enough games for us for one reason or another:
Rooney
Kanchelskis
Joe Parkinson (his and Hinchliffe's injuries really halted us)

and the one I still think about even after all this time Billy Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.