So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of more recent times, I'd suggest Yakubu. Really was the clinical finisher we'd needed in the team for a while, and he helped make the 2007/08 season so memorable. Could have done so much more for us if not for the injury, was it his ACL? that put him out for almost a year.

Going back a long long way. Tommy Ring. We finally thought we had the successor to Tom Eglington, after so many left wingers...from memory(which is a bit dodgy at the moment!) Ray Veall, Jimmy Fell, Bobby Laverick etc etc.... then Ring had his leg broken at Chelsea......
At first Ring had the sort of impact Bernard appears to be having now.

..it’s funny with Rooney. England’s greatest ever goal scorer, most caps for an outfield player, captained his country, greatest ever Manchester United goalscorer, won virtually every club honour in the game. I think he’ll be really appreciated when he packs in.

He divides opinion but I always loved watching him.

Maybe semantic mate, but I'd replace the word greatest with record goalscorer, in that he scored the most goals. Lineker, Charlton and of course Geoff Hurst were greater goalscorers for England. Even arguably Michael Owen.

It's a similar debate with Miroslav Klose for Germany. Even tho' he's also the record goalscorer in World Cups from any nation, as well as being Germany's record scorer, you'd struggle to find any Germans who'd label him a greater goalscorer than Gerd Müller (Klose also needing twice as many games to score as many goals).

Big fan of Klose myself, mind...but Gerd Müller was greater, despite being second in the stats.

And obviously none of us are Man U fans, but I bet not many of them would rank Rooney in a greatest ever goalscorer poll, despite his record-busting stats. They'd have Charlton, Ruud, Cantona and others above him.

6235364B-2CAA-47C0-A593-457F3BBE0A51.jpeg

..I don’t think he was, I said arguably (from a statistics perspective). He’s not Everton’s greatest England player. There was only one Alan Ball.

I’d prefer an in his prime Gazza over an in his prime Rooney, providing he is minus all his problems! As a player ability wise he was amazing. Such a shame, and a shame we saw him in blue so late.

Peter Beardsley, 90 games and 30 odd goals.

When we sold him he played 150 odd games for Newcastle and scored 60+, unreal strike rate that.

I absolutely loved watching him play, we were absolutely useless and this fella was miles ahead of everyone. Bernard has it as well, not just the magic in the boots but the magic in the mind where he's 3 passes ahead of everyone

Wonderful to watch no matter who they play for but an absolute privelidge when they are wearing the Everton Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.