So few games, but such an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wood (103).....I thought George was very good, certainly our best goalkeeper in the post West, pre Neville era.

Sadly his reputation never recovered after a goalkeeping error playing for Scotland at Wembley and his game went downhill afterwards.

John Gidman (64)....one of the star performers for Villa during the 1977 trilogy, signed for us two years later.

Apparently Giddo is the only player ever to play professionally for both Merseyside clubs and both Manchester ones, though he never played in the RS first XI.

Ken McNaught (66).......Another alumni of the Villa Trilogy and this young Scot seemed destined to fill Brian Labone’s boots and become a rock at the heart of our defence for years. But in the biggest transfer mystery since Alan Ball, Ken was sold to Villa in the summer of that year and went in to achueve great success, winning both the League Title and the European Cup.

Marco Matterazzi (25)......signed by Walter Smith when he came here in ‘98, Marco is best remembered for Zidanegate in the 2006 World Cup Final

Keith Newton (47).....joined us in the winter of 69/70 and played a part in that season’s Title winning team.

Pat Nevin (109).......sod off, Stuart Pearce :rant:.

That bugger destroyed one of our most exciting buys in the late 80s, an era when we were raiding Chelsea and taking their top talent.

Bruce Rioch (30)......a double signing, along with McMagic, when Billy Bingham belatedly rolled the dice in the autumn of ‘76. Scored in the infamous Clive Thomas semi final.

Asa (81).......Asa was on the verge of a big move to Leeds United, then a mighty force in the land, but he was diagnosed with a hole in the heart during the medical circa 1972. But there was nowt faint hearted about his play and I enjoyed watching him play in Gordon’s team.

Dave Thomas (71)......what 70s survivor does still not drool over memories of Dave thundering down the left wing and putting the ball on to Big Bob’s head ;)

George Telfer (99)......it took George eight years to amass his 99 apps. A good, loyal servant to the club and I always hooed he would have made it big.

Peter Eastoe (95)......for some reason Peter and Imre Varadi are my all time favourite Everton strike partnership (when such things still existed). And Imre would have been in this XI but for the fact I have wanted to write sommat about George Telfer this long while :dance:

COYBB

and a big thank you to @Eggs for starting this thread....I love threads where we get to reminisce about the players we have watched and loved down the Everton decades.

...some memories there, i’m a huge Peter Eastoe fan too, Khalekan.

Going back a long long way. Tommy Ring. We finally thought we had the successor to Tom Eglington, after so many left wingers...from memory(which is a bit dodgy at the moment!) Ray Veall, Jimmy Fell, Bobby Laverick etc etc.... then Ring had his leg broken at Chelsea......
At first Ring had the sort of impact Bernard appears to be having now.

..also thought of Fred Pickering, Steve. Just 97 games but 56 goals. Sadly, probably best remembered for not playing in the 1966 FA Cup Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.