Sentimentality

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the key. Not winning anything has been accepted since the mid 90s. Not winning away at any of the top clubs has been accepted since the 90s. Not achieving anything in Europe has been accepted since the Heysel ban when two bit clubs like Middlesbrough and Fulham have reached a European final in less seasons in Europe. Managerial changes generally happen when the club fear relegation (Koeman, Silva).

There's no expectation at the club or winning mentality. Will Ancelotti instill it, or will he get caught up in the mediocrity that permeates through the club, knowing that at 61 he gets paid a top end salary either way at a club that tolerates a bottom half or middle table finish.
Dunno If accepted is the correct term. We just haven’t been good enough

Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

There's nothing competitive or ruthless about the club, on or off the pitch. There's culture of fatalism (never once have we stood up for ourselves against shocking PL/refereeing decisions) and acceptance of mediocrity.

And the players know it. They don't have to try too hard, as long as they're nice lads they can hang around for years and pick up millions.

It's structural and until we do something about it, it's more of the same.
That’s 100% true. We have Davies who isn’t cutting it, DCL who I personally think doesn’t have the ceiling required for a top half of the table prem team that people are too blinded by his niceness/hardworking/academy product, Adeniran who isn’t playing regularly for the u23s and can’t consistently get on the bench for the senior squad, Beni who is 22 and last time we saw him on the field was the dead rubber Europa game years ago, Garbutt who is 27 this year when his contract finally expired that he had despite only providing a couple substitute performances or injury replacements, Hornby who is 24 had 2 more years left on his contract before he made his loan permanent, Pennington who will be 26 when his contract expires next season.

Unsworth is another one having not done anything to prepare the academy kids for the first team with the only successful ones so far being Holgate, DCL, and Davies (and you know how I feel about the last 2) then out of the 16-17 u23 side that won the PL2 Dowell (22, only 2 senior apps), Hewelt (23, released last summer, plays for 2nd division polish team), JJK (23, constant loans and still might not be good enough), Harry Charsley (23, sold to Mansfield Town), Liam Walsh (22, sold to Bristol who loaned him out to Coventry), Antonee Robinson (22, sold to Wigan and relegated), Callum Connolly (22, completed his 7th loan), Gethin Jones (24, sold to Carlisle last summer), Morgan Feeney (21, on first loan last season to Tranmere with only 1 app). The list goes on but the point being made.

Duncan imo is lucky he can provide as much fire and heart to the team as he does because he isn’t a modern PL level coach in terms of tactical nous and I think was a good example of nostalgia taking over with Kendall’s watch and his sweat band and having the team become the feral dogs of war again. It was nice but not a future plan and would have brought us back a decade if we stuck with him like people wanted too

What is sentimentality and what is being unable to offload dross players?

Can’t exactly run around cancelling contracts left right and centre. That way administration lies.
We do, inexplicably, hand out contract extensions for players that aren't cutting it. Just look at Pennington, even by our standards that one was bizarre.

Yep , spot on and I should have added our CEO to that list.

Nice person , good charitable credentials , totally unsuited to be Everton's chief executive.
Yep, there was a little bit of chatter about a candidate for the CEO role who was (I think) on the Board of BP at the time.

Nothing at all 'wrong' with DBB, local girl done good, but it's impossible to argue it was the best appointment we could have made.
She's maleable. Easy to manipulate by an owner who is really calling the shots...the wrong ones.

Last thing in the word Moshiri wants is a David Gill type figure in charge.

Love it when the GOT ITK's give us the details on what goes on behind closed doors at Everton and their in depth knowledge of the personalities, specifics of their jobs, relationships and other credentials of board members.

Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

Not sure it's sentimentality, more doing what has been needed to stay in the league with the finances available.

And lots been said about how much we've spent since Moshi, however, still some catching up of regular top 4.

I agree with the softness and over gentleman approach to our game we desperately need some go fourth and multiply attitude!

I hate what Kenwright has done to our club. I find him a bit of a phoney. He slavers over Graham Stuart but is dismissive of our legends like Nev. Oh and he loved Dave Hickson, who won what?

There needs to be a big conversation at Everton. We just take up space in the PL. That's the truth of the matter. Oxygen thieves of the top flight. It's an embarrassment for fans who've witnessed the club being the best team in the country. What are we doing other than waiting for a stadium to be built? The stadium plan(s) have taken the place of becoming a competitive success again. We have no identity anymore as far as I can see.

These players and the DoF are nowhere near the level we should have. The owner is a flake and a disgrace to the history of the club. The backroom is an utter piss-take. It's upsetting.

25 years without a trophy; a club like this. No wonder they keep harping on about EitC.

There needs to be a big conversation at Everton. We just take up space in the PL. That's the truth of the matter. Oxygen thieves of the top flight. It's an embarrassment for fans who've witnessed the club being the best team in the country. What are we doing other than waiting for a stadium to be built? The stadium plan(s) have taken the place of becoming a competitive success again. We have no identity anymore as far as I can see.

These players and the DoF are nowhere near the level we should have. The owner is a flake and a disgrace to the history of the club. The backroom is an utter piss-take. It's upsetting.

25 years without a trophy; a club like this. No wonder they keep harping on about EitC.

I am willing to see if Ancelotti can put together a useful unit.
We still have a team built from the golfing toad, BFS and '5 good games with Watford' Marco.
The place has indeed been a complete shambles, but hopefully we will get it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.