Sentimentality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it when the GOT ITK's give us the details on what goes on behind closed doors at Everton and their in depth knowledge of the personalities, specifics of their jobs, relationships and other credentials of board members.

Where have I claimed it was ITK?

%" little bit of chatter" is in no way a snippet of information I claim to be fact.

IIf you're defending the appointment of DBB that's fine, but do you think she'd have been given the post if the old guard (Kenwright/Woods) had been bought out completely and removed from the board right at the start of Mr. Moshiri involvement?

Not a bad appointment (a million times better than who went before), just a lazy appointment.

I think a few on here are being somewhat indolent critical thinking-wise. Yes, we are all well happy with the way our lion-hearts equipped themselves this season, and yes, twelfth place surpassed most expectations. But narratives around 'punching above our weight' and 'plucky Everton' shouldn't cloud sentimentality. We lucky Evertonians should indeed shout to the rafters our joy at retaining an irrelevance that is probably world class. Yes, i know a chorus of nay- saying "we should have finished a bit lower' will probably drown out this small tiny voice...but as i said, sentimentality should not be asphyxiated by such fanciful notions.
Me?...I just love watching our underpaid lion-hearts leaving everything out there in the night clubs and bars of Merseyside.
13th next year?...maybe, and yes, we can dream...but let's not allow sentimentality to have too heavy an emotional whip-hand.

NSNO

We do, inexplicably, hand out contract extensions for players that aren't cutting it. Just look at Pennington, even by our standards that one was bizarre.
Again though, is that sentimentality or just poor decision making? Was it feared Holgate might have left for example and left us with a need for another CB?

I’d be surprised if anyone gets a contract renewed based on sentiment, I think the closest we got was the signing of Rooney and even then he still did a job for us.

Why do we constantly see “I’d bring xxx back, sold him too early”?

We need to move away from that to progress. We got rid of these players for a reason.

A player like Lukaku (example, don’t jump on this) I understand however when I see Deulofeu and Barkley or any old former player shouts I honestly think some people need a break from footie.

The same people who want to bring the rejects back are the ones who would be first to moan about not being good enough.

Rant over.

Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

There's nothing competitive or ruthless about the club, on or off the pitch. There's culture of fatalism (never once have we stood up for ourselves against shocking PL/refereeing decisions) and acceptance of mediocrity.

And the players know it. They don't have to try too hard, as long as they're nice lads they can hang around for years and pick up millions.

It's structural and until we do something about it, it's more of the same.

Agree with this tbh

As long as kenwrights there, we won’t push on. It wouldn’t surprise me if moshiri is aware of this. I’ve heard this anyhow.

Again though, is that sentimentality or just poor decision making? Was it feared Holgate might have left for example and left us with a need for another CB?

I’d be surprised if anyone gets a contract renewed based on sentiment, I think the closest we got was the signing of Rooney and even then he still did a job for us.
Who knows? He hadn't played a game for us in ages and, I don't believe, played for us since signing the new deal. If it was for cover why did we loan him out almost immediately? Very odd.

That's right even Moshiri is just Bill's mate. There isn't a ruthless winning mentality from top to bottom.

Most clubs are sentimental. If you look at any majorly successful clubs they've all been like that. I'd go as far to say that their success is built on that sentimentality. From the coaching staff, to the manager, to the technical staff, they tend to have ex-players involved. Ex-winners. For me, strictly speaking there's nothing wrong with being 'sentimental' and keeping old club members around the place. After all, those are the people who generally care about the progress of the organisation at all levels.

What amazes me is how successful we've been historically but how poorly that mentality has carried through. We've been blessed with great players and great people who fought with every ounce of their being for the club. Where is that spirit now? How has our collective mentally managed to drift so badly? My guess is it's not sentimentality that's the issue, it's sentimentality in the wrong place.

Been killing this club for years. Keeping hold of players years past their best, long contracts for kids who'll never make it at this level, senior executives and coaches given jobs way above their ability as long as they're blues.

There's nothing competitive or ruthless about the club, on or off the pitch. There's culture of fatalism (never once have we stood up for ourselves against shocking PL/refereeing decisions) and acceptance of mediocrity.

And the players know it. They don't have to try too hard, as long as they're nice lads they can hang around for years and pick up millions.

It's structural and until we do something about it, it's more of the same.

Agree with this fully and would add that that though its lovely having nice people, true Evertonians and people who love the club, it means we may not be getting the best candidates. Nowadays especially it matters less that in some positions people are actual blues - say in commercial aspects, marketing, hospitality, business and even management of the football matters. Are our fitness coaches, youth coaches, managers etc all people who have the best mentality? It would even go down to things like players' schedules, diet, lifestyles etc which all lead to a winning mentality. Do they make the sacrifices needed to win at all costs? I've seen at places like Hope Uni where EiTC and EFC now have links, the cozy relationships between people like Unsworth, DBB and others in the board, and it's easy to see a Kenwright - DBB - old boys network and then another party of 'newcomers'. Keeping the Everton culture is different from sentimentality, and you can sell the Everton culture to anyone, but still be ruthless in business and football.

In fact, this 'small club' ' and 'sentimental, authentic' look we have at EFC could be used in the super commercial franchise-style PL era, we could actually sell it to supporters around the world, but we don't evne do stuff like that. We were very slow to actually bring back or make use of converted blues like Cahill and Howard, (commercially we missed a lot in the year Howard was a US world cup hero) and we continue to employ blues who are not necessarily winners. Winning mentality is the big missing ingredient!

Agree with this fully and would add that that though its lovely having nice people, true Evertonians and people who love the club, it means we may not be getting the best candidates. Nowadays especially it matters less that in some positions people are actual blues - say in commercial aspects, marketing, hospitality, business and even management of the football matters. Are our fitness coaches, youth coaches, managers etc all people who have the best mentality? It would even go down to things like players' schedules, diet, lifestyles etc which all lead to a winning mentality. Do they make the sacrifices needed to win at all costs? I've seen at places like Hope Uni where EiTC and EFC now have links, the cozy relationships between people like Unsworth, DBB and others in the board, and it's easy to see a Kenwright - DBB - old boys network and then another party of 'newcomers'. Keeping the Everton culture is different from sentimentality, and you can sell the Everton culture to anyone, but still be ruthless in business and football.

In fact, this 'small club' ' and 'sentimental, authentic' look we have at EFC could be used in the super commercial franchise-style PL era, we could actually sell it to supporters around the world, but we don't evne do stuff like that. We were very slow to actually bring back or make use of converted blues like Cahill and Howard, (commercially we missed a lot in the year Howard was a US world cup hero) and we continue to employ blues who are not necessarily winners. Winning mentality is the big missing ingredient!
Winning mentality is everything, we haven't had that for a long time. Now tho yes now we have a manager who is a winner if he can't get winners in like him I think nobody can . This is our chance to get back were our massive club deserves . I trust in time this will happen. Bloody ell we pray.

Winning mentality is everything, we haven't had that for a long time. Now tho yes now we have a manager who is a winner if he can't get winners in like him I think nobody can . This is our chance to get back were our massive club deserves . I trust in time this will happen. Bloody ell we pray.
...the only thing massive about the club these days, is its massive irrelevance...

Status
Not open for further replies.