2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a much stronger squad last season. The players were probably desperate for Benitez to leave and would have galvanised under literally any other manager. Lampard had it much easier than Dyche.
Players and fans. It was the only scenario imaginable that I wanted Lampard in. Wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole otherwise.

Depends on the damage left behind. Benitez sacked staff, staff left, froze players out, sold players who got the wrong side of him...then didn't win a game for 3 months+.

If you've ever worked for someone you really dislike, you're more likely to embrace their replacement IMO.

And don't forget - when Dyche come in 30th Jan, we hadn't won a game since Palace in October. Any manager who comes in is likely doing do because the person before them has had a bad run;

1679398180349.png

It's why the "new manager" bounce doesn't always work for club's because it's difficult to fix if things have been badly damaged.

No doubt, and to be fair to Dyche he had a pretty tough start to try an benefit from 'new manager bounce'.

8 games so far;

4 against Arsenal (H/A), Liverpool (A) and Chelsea (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Leeds (H)
Nottingham Forest A
Brentford (H)

If we split them;

Against typical 'top' teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool)
4 games - 1W, 1D, 2L

Against current midtable (Stretching it a bit with Villa, but them and Brentford)
2games - 1W 1L

Relegation Scrap (Leeds and Nottingham Forest)
2 games - 1W 1D

I think Dyche has had a tremendous start and i really do think if he keeps us up - all considered, it'll be the best individual managerial achievement since Moyes finishing 4th.

I had us down - although check out my last paragraph here!

Depends on the damage left behind. Benitez sacked staff, staff left, froze players out, sold players who got the wrong side of him...then didn't win a game for 3 months+.

It's why the "new manager" bounce doesn't always work for club's because it's difficult to fix if things have been badly damaged.

I mean... Newcastle brought Howe in. Didn't win a game in 10 then spent £100mill in January to "fix" the damage left by Ashley and Bruce. Flip side is Southampton who've had a fire sale for the past 2 seasons and are now on manager 3 in 1 season and don't look like getting out of it.

And I do think that rep Benitez now has, has killed his career. I mean... Palace could've gone for him couldn't they....
Forget the Players/club part for a minute, Lamps first thing he done coming in to the club was pulling out the 'fans card' and that was the biggest, most effective tactic he played in that whole run in. No one played a bigger part last season at keeping us in the league then the supporters...

If he hadn't played that card so well, we wouldn't even be having this conversation now about 'Premiership Relegation'.

If you've ever worked for someone you really dislike, you're more likely to embrace their replacement IMO.

And don't forget - when Dyche come in 30th Jan, we hadn't won a game since Palace in October. Any manager who comes in is likely doing do because the person before them has had a bad run;

View attachment 207056

No doubt, and to be fair to Dyche he had a pretty tough start to try an benefit from 'new manager bounce'.

8 games so far;

4 against Arsenal (H/A), Liverpool (A) and Chelsea (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Leeds (H)
Nottingham Forest A
Brentford (H)

If we split them;

Against typical 'top' teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool)
4 games - 1W, 1D, 2L

Against current midtable (Stretching it a bit with Villa, but them and Brentford)
2games - 1W 1L

Relegation Scrap (Leeds and Nottingham Forest)
2 games - 1W 1D

I think Dyche has had a tremendous start and i really do think if he keeps us up - all considered, it'll be the best individual managerial achievement since Moyes finishing 4th.

I had us down - although check out my last paragraph here!
And Villa we deserved something from that. It was a joke of a penalty and another silly mistake but we were the better side. At this point of the season and in our position that means very little but it shows he's doing something right.
I think, for the first since Moyes we have appointed the right manager at the right time. And by that i mean, we've hired someone who's equipped to work with the quality of players we have, and handle the position we're in.
Carlo was a superstar but we didn't have a squad to benefit from him.
Koeman was a flavour of the month appointment
It's looking right man at the wrong time for Marco Silva
Benitez?? The less said about him the better!
Fat Sam was brought in to be a firefighter when there was no fire!!
Lampard got the job because he wasn't Vitor Pereira. And we backed him because he wasn't Rafael Benitez. Fair play to him, he was passionate and he embraced the club and fans but on the pitch where it counted he just didn't know what he was doing.
and Martinez got the job on the back of winning an FA Cup the same season they were relegated. Granted a great season built on Moyes foundations.

We've hired a manager that, whether we want to accept it or not is perfect for us for where we are right now.

We had a much stronger squad last season. The players were probably desperate for Benitez to leave and would have galvanised under literally any other manager. Lampard had it much easier than Dyche.
I don't think we did. Keane and Holgate were our regular centre backs, Kenny got games. Allan, Gomes playing in midfield. Absolutely abysmal squad

Dyche clearly has the more difficult job, he has taken a team that through 20 games was our absolute worst (statistical fact, not opinion, our lowest points total in 20 games) and now has us a point off 12th whilst having almost no forwards available to him. He has gone to Anfield, the Emirates and Stamford Bridge and has beaten the team top of the league off only 5 days of training. I like Lampard as a person but as a manager there's no comparison. Dyche blows him out of the water.

Could be argued that the style of play is effective. However the forwards cant hit a barn door so they are inefective.

The opposition knows this so can attack us in greater numbers and take more risks...meaning higher expected goals against.

But our defence is effective.

TLDR: Keep the style of play and add better players...

Biggest achievement since last season.

Theres no way taking over a side from Lampard was harder than replacing Benitez.
Oh come on. Lampards points return with that squad last season was woeful. Threw away points at Turf Moor and Brentford at home. Had he a tiny bit of competence as a manager we would've stayed up with a few games to go. Not by the skin of our teeth.

We cant compare Lampard With Dyche. the points we have gotten under Dyche are due to the fact that we have somebody employing management skills to the job. Frank offered nothing but a feel good factor, new manager bounce for the first few games of his tenure. After that we went on a horrendous run and the fans had to take over to see us over the line. This seasons we were only destined for one outcome and that was relegation. It may still happen but under Dyche so far you always feel we have a chance to win the game. With Frank you never expected that

I not sure whether Dyche is right in playing them but in Gana, Iwobi, Doucoure he's got three that'll run box to box all day long.

With any three of them making it to the attacking box it'd be good if we could just get a bit more more quality from the three overall; am hoping Garner can step up, maybe replace Gana, not expecting anything, the hope kills and all. But that pass from Doucoure had me dreaming.

Reactions: kev

Dyche clearly has the more difficult job, he has taken a team that through 20 games was our absolute worst (statistical fact, not opinion, our lowest points total in 20 games) and now has us a point off 12th whilst having almost no forwards available to him. He has gone to Anfield, the Emirates and Stamford Bridge and has beaten the team top of the league off only 5 days of training. I like Lampard as a person but as a manager there's no comparison. Dyche blows him out of the water.
Can’t argue with that.

For me the biggest difference is how I feel going to a game as mentioned earlier.
With Frank I was expecting a gallant defeat.
With Dyche I sort of expect a hard fought victory or at least a draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.