2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already thought we were relegated and that dyche wouldn't be able to change anything. We aren't out the woods yet but I now have some faith in us to get out of this, that's thanks to him.
Same, mate. Very pleasantly surprised, I thought we'd gone and didn't think we'd break the 30 point mark (still might not, I suppose!) but I'm optimistic of staying up and I'm hopeful of 37 points plus.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle on this tbh.

I'm very impressed with the improvement under Dyche and considering all the chopping and changing that's gone on in the bottom half, I think we were extremely fortunate to have gotten him before any relegation rivals did.

HOWEVER

If he keeps us up I do think we'll have a difficult decision to make. A lot of contracts ending and we should finally have some money we can spend. A long long overdue rebuild may finally be possible. Dyche will have earned a crack at it really, but I personally can't see Moshiri wanting to keep him on if we stay up.

I'm very impressed with the improvement under Dyche and considering all the chopping and changing that's gone on in the bottom half, I think we were extremely fortunate to have gotten him before any relegation rivals did.

HOWEVER

If he keeps us up I do think we'll have a difficult decision to make. A lot of contracts ending and we should finally have some money we can spend. A long long overdue rebuild may finally be possible. Dyche will have earned a crack at it really, but I personally can't see Moshiri wanting to keep him on if we stay up.
I disagree with this, I think he will have no choice but to keep him. The fans are already and have been for sometime onto Mosh and his no idea approach to owning a football club. This small step in the positive , should we stay up, I think, he will want to cling too. That said, long term, he (Duche) may well be ejected for a more approachable way of playing footy… rather than the agricultural way of mr Dyche. Though he may be able to develop that as time goes on with better players, should we find them!

HOWEVER

If dyche keeps us up he has more than earned the right to have a good go at it next season .what's the alternative another change in manager with candidate list of benitez or Nuno

A bit premature to talk about playing style, but it's quite common in football circles, so I'll go with it.

Personally, I think diversity is what makes football exciting, and I think it's fun to watch everything from De Zerbi ball to Union Berlin's interpretation of the Berlin Wall.

Having said that, there is a lot of snobbery out there, and there is no doubt that possession football is what is considered the proper way to play football. It is perhaps not surprising when you see that mostly the best teams do it, and you confuse correlation with causation.

It's a little comical when the best teams - with by far the biggest budgets - beat teams like Bournmouth etc., and you hear it's a great tactical triumph. At the same time as these teams (Bournmouth, etc.) are told that they play boring and destructive football.

Context is everything. As you know, football and the art of war have many similarities. If you meet armed forces that are much better equipped, you don't go toe to toe. It's stupidity. This realization has led to many tactical innovations. Among other things, manmarking defense was quite common - in many countries right up to the 2000s, while the smaller nations had already started to develop a pure zone defense. Norway was far ahead here, and had great success with this in the 90s. This in many ways offset the strengths of a superior opponent.

Another realization, which most people who have played football know, is that it is much more difficult to create imbalance against a team that is in balance - especially when this opponent is significantly better. Many passes also mean that you yourself can quickly be caught off balance. So the plan many came up with was: (1) Attack immediately after regaining the ball - then the opponent was off balance, (2) Long balls against established defence, and win second balls. This was supported by the research, which said, among other things, that most goals came within the interval 0-6 passes. Here you can do a simple survey yourself, and review the goals in PL in this round.

The point is that all top teams have integrated the principles, but do so in a slightly different way. Barcelona, Ajax, Mancehster City, etc., do not hit long balls to win second balls, but they position themselves in such a way that when they have the ball they can immediately press to win the ball and exploit the opposition's imbalance.

On the other hand, the best teams have developed counterplay against the tactics of supposedly weaker teams. It should be said that these are not new ideas, but old ideas that have been developed further.

E.g. positioning himself between lines/opponents, and not least wide wing players, can damage a zone defense quite a lot. Inviting pressure, to make the opponent leave his structure is another way.

It is this interplay, this dynamic, that makes football interesting. There is no one right way to play football. Everything depends on context. But you have to have a plan, you have to train on it, and execute it with perfection - and not least the right players.

When someone says that crosses isn't effective, then ok, but that's based on an average. A team that has Duncan Fergusen as striker scores considerably more with this tactic than a team that has Lionel Messi as striker.

Call me mental but Id like to see what Dyche could get out of Dele Alli, Dyche will be alot different from the managers he has had in the past......

He may not be able to do anything with him but I`d be happy to see if he could.

A bit premature to talk about playing style, but it's quite common in football circles, so I'll go with it.

Personally, I think diversity is what makes football exciting, and I think it's fun to watch everything from De Zerbi ball to Union Berlin's interpretation of the Berlin Wall.

Having said that, there is a lot of snobbery out there, and there is no doubt that possession football is what is considered the proper way to play football. It is perhaps not surprising when you see that mostly the best teams do it, and you confuse correlation with causation.

It's a little comical when the best teams - with by far the biggest budgets - beat teams like Bournmouth etc., and you hear it's a great tactical triumph. At the same time as these teams (Bournmouth, etc.) are told that they play boring and destructive football.

Context is everything. As you know, football and the art of war have many similarities. If you meet armed forces that are much better equipped, you don't go toe to toe. It's stupidity. This realization has led to many tactical innovations. Among other things, manmarking defense was quite common - in many countries right up to the 2000s, while the smaller nations had already started to develop a pure zone defense. Norway was far ahead here, and had great success with this in the 90s. This in many ways offset the strengths of a superior opponent.

Another realization, which most people who have played football know, is that it is much more difficult to create imbalance against a team that is in balance - especially when this opponent is significantly better. Many passes also mean that you yourself can quickly be caught off balance. So the plan many came up with was: (1) Attack immediately after regaining the ball - then the opponent was off balance, (2) Long balls against established defence, and win second balls. This was supported by the research, which said, among other things, that most goals came within the interval 0-6 passes. Here you can do a simple survey yourself, and review the goals in PL in this round.

The point is that all top teams have integrated the principles, but do so in a slightly different way. Barcelona, Ajax, Mancehster City, etc., do not hit long balls to win second balls, but they position themselves in such a way that when they have the ball they can immediately press to win the ball and exploit the opposition's imbalance.

On the other hand, the best teams have developed counterplay against the tactics of supposedly weaker teams. It should be said that these are not new ideas, but old ideas that have been developed further.

E.g. positioning himself between lines/opponents, and not least wide wing players, can damage a zone defense quite a lot. Inviting pressure, to make the opponent leave his structure is another way.

It is this interplay, this dynamic, that makes football interesting. There is no one right way to play football. Everything depends on context. But you have to have a plan, you have to train on it, and execute it with perfection - and not least the right players.

When someone says that crosses isn't effective, then ok, but that's based on an average. A team that has Duncan Fergusen as striker scores considerably more with this tactic than a team that has Lionel Messi as striker.
The media also peddle the "best teams play best football" agenda, that isnt always the case. But it suits them teams because other teams will want to emulate that with inferior players....

Everton had alot of the ball with Lampard but it was painful to watch, under Dyche we are more direct, we get more chances and we are starting to see goals. The football is more entertaining and exciting again, but there is the other side and it is brilliant to see that this side can sit in and be defensively solid.

As you point out above, it is good to have diversity and we have a team that has demonstrated high pressing, attacking football with the resolution of defence across Dyche time in charge of Everton, sometimes in the same game.

It just feels like Everton is stirring from the slumber but we need to stay in this division first then give Dyche the tools to go and prove the doubters wrong...

It will be a massive achievement but that one under Moyes was bigger in my opinion. That team he built and to take us from relegation fodder to top4 on a shoestring was incredible
That shoestring budget was also a lot more beneficial to our club ( and the manager ) then the Blank cheque that followed after.

We've failed miserably since, and so has Moyes. Neither us knew what to do once a pot of gold was finally put in front of us...

Call me mental but Id like to see what Dyche could get out of Dele Alli, Dyche will be alot different from the managers he has had in the past......

He may not be able to do anything with him but I`d be happy to see if he could.
Haha Dyche and Dele, Really!! ( Its like sticking pineapple on your pizza )
Maybe a couple of bleep tests and he might be able to get a Contract termination out of him..

I already thought we were relegated and that dyche wouldn't be able to change anything. We aren't out the woods yet but I now have some faith in us to get out of this, that's thanks to him.

Yep. Im in that boat. It also depends on how you look at Everton now. Dyche wouldnt be my choice as a long term manager. But when you are staring down the barrel of a gun and all that then your ideology of your club can quickly change. We're not even a player anymore in this league and although it feels a bit like we've gone full circle back to a david moyes type, its all about survival. The getting back to being a major player will have to come at another time.

Yep. Im in that boat. It also depends on how you look at Everton now. Dyche wouldnt be my choice as a long term manager. But when you are staring down the barrel of a gun and all that then your ideology of your club can quickly change. We're not even a player anymore in this league and although it feels a bit like we've gone full circle back to a david moyes type, its all about survival. The getting back to being a major player will have to come at another time.
Exactly m8, I'm still gonna be Poohing myself until it's guaranteed one way or the other. And as for being picky and choosy over Manager Appointments, it's hard not too, ( although I think we made the right decision out of what our choices were ) We've got to wake up and smell the coffee and realise we're not the club we once was, we're not even a club we were a few years ago. We're clutching at straws to even keep a place in this league. We need to become a deserved premier league outfit again before can start looking at anything more/or getting picky at little things...

And Dyche is the perfect manager to do that, he will see it's all about one step at a time. He will Instill it in the players/squad and even the fanbase.
I just pray we didn't leave it to late..

Status
Not open for further replies.