2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stat I just saw off of the club site, apparently since Dyche has come in we are 5th in the league in expected goals. We have had bad luck or bad misses, but its not just been the defensive side clearly.

That's true, but we are 4th worst for expected goals against

Could be argued that the style of play is effective. However the forwards cant hit a barn door so they are inefective.

The opposition knows this so can attack us in greater numbers and take more risks...meaning higher expected goals against.

But our defence is effective.

TLDR: Keep the style of play and add better players...

Keeping us in this league will be the biggest achievement of any Everton manager since Moyes finished 4th.

Biggest achievement since last season.

Theres no way taking over a side from Lampard was harder than replacing Benitez.

Could be argued that the style of play is effective. However the forwards cant hit a barn door so they are inefective.

The opposition knows this so can attack us in greater numbers and take more risks...meaning higher expected goals against.

Theres no way taking over a side from Lampard was harder than replacing Benitez.
We had a much stronger squad last season. The players were probably desperate for Benitez to leave and would have galvanised under literally any other manager. Lampard had it much easier than Dyche.

We had a much stronger squad last season. The players were probably desperate for Benitez to leave and would have galvanised under literally any other manager. Lampard had it much easier than Dyche.
I don’t think morale was as low as it was when Benitez left. I also don’t think it was as toxic a place to be as when Benitez left. So for those reasons, probably easier for Dyche.

I also think Dyche has come into a better squad (forward line aside) with a stronger defence and better midfielders available to him.

Also get the sense that he doesn't care for "bigger" jobs to come, he wants to do his best here to get Everton as high as possible and kick on, not leave. That was a fatal flaw of Koeman especially but also you'd feel it with Moyes, Martinez, Silva and Ancelotti too, Everton was merely a stepping stone. I would say the only job that would tempt him out of Everton that he'd get would probably be England.

Think he's most certainly with us for the long haul which might finally bring some stability to this club.
Moyes not sure. He did a decade and that is some going - can hardly say he wasn’t in for that long term.
Silva and Martinez weren’t successful enough.
Koeman was definitely hoping to step out asap, and Ancelloti was like some trophy girlfriend you knew you couldn’t keep long term.
I’m glad we have a down to earth British manager and not some short term mercenary

Lampard side had richarlison - at least one decent goal threat

Lampard took over a team in 16th, and 4 points clear of the relegation zone - with a game in hand;

skysports-premier-league-table_5655693.jpg

Lampard had Richarlison (and Gordon to be fair), and was able to bring in 2 players in van de Beek and Dele Alli.

Sean Dyche took over this;

skysports-everton-dyche-premier-league_6038394.jpg

No doubt whatsoever, Sean Dyche keeping Everton in the Premier League is a bigger challenge than what Lampard had.

Lampard took over a team in 16th, and 4 points clear of the relegation zone - with a game in hand;

Lampard had Richarlison (and Gordon to be fair), and was able to bring in 2 players in van de Beek and Dele Alli.

No doubt whatsoever, Sean Dyche keeping Everton in the Premier League is a bigger challenge than what Lampard had.

Not to mention sans Richarlison, Dom and Gordon.

For me, unquestionably, he should still be in the seat next season regardless of where we end up. Give him a few better players in the summer and I'm pretty confident that we'll crack on.

Spot on, although the abysmal finishing isn't limited to the forwards.

Off the top of my head I can think of two clear cut Onana chances that he had to score, the Doucouré one in the box where he forgot how to control the football, at least one from Iwobi and that ridiculous attempt at a header from Maupay.

Plus you can count some hard luck with the other Maupay header cleared off the line, Gray's VAR goal ruled out, Seamus not getting that penalty, and likely other things too. And that's only off about 10 seconds of thinking.

Being fair, I think there's about 4-5 very obvious goals that haven't been scored so far that any average player in general puts in the back of the net 9 times of 10.

So to your point: the chances most definitely are being created, but they're being passed up about 80% of the time by virtually every player.

Lampards biggest challenge was overturning the toxicity that Benitez left and pick the players off the floor. Which he did and a very tough task based on the character of the team and disharmony.

I agree that Dyche has the tougher job based on the talent of the squad, but I think its slightly easier to turn the tide. The players liked Lampard previously and Dyche has players he's managed before with better characters to help him get out of it.

Both are ridiculously difficult jobs and should both be applauded but I think the situations are different for them.

Lampards biggest challenge was overturning the toxicity that Benitez left and pick the players off the floor. Which he did and a very tough task based on the character of the team and disharmony.

Perhaps, but that's also an easy win isn't it?

In any walk of life, replacing someone not liked is easier than replacing someone well liked.

An extreme example is Leicester going from Nigel Pearson to Claudio Ranieri - that chalk and cheese really lifted Leicester. From Moyes to Martinez that first season for us too - people react to a very big culture change.

I think Lampard's biggest challenge was lifting confidence and bringing the club 'together'.

I agree that Dyche has the tougher job based on the talent of the squad, but I think its slightly easier to turn the tide. The players liked Lampard previously and Dyche has players he's managed before with better characters to help him get out of it.

Both are ridiculously difficult jobs and should both be applauded but I think the situations are different for them.

Nah no chance, not for me. Dyche had to improve us, Lampard had to not do any worse.

Take Richarlison out the team last season and we go down.

I felt we'd go down this season, I didn't have that concern until the run in last season.

Horrible looking at that done a great job getting back to the other teams.

Perhaps, but that's also an easy win isn't it?

In any walk of life, replacing someone not liked is easier than replacing someone well liked.

An extreme example is Leicester going from Nigel Pearson to Claudio Ranieri - that chalk and cheese really lifted Leicester. From Moyes to Martinez that first season for us too - people react to a very big culture change.

I think Lampard's biggest challenge was lifting confidence and bringing the club 'together'.

Nah no chance, not for me. Dyche had to improve us, Lampard had to not do any worse.

Take Richarlison out the team last season and we go down.

I felt we'd go down this season, I didn't have that concern until the run in last season.

Depends on the damage left behind. Benitez sacked staff, staff left, froze players out, sold players who got the wrong side of him...then didn't win a game for 3 months+.

It's why the "new manager" bounce doesn't always work for club's because it's difficult to fix if things have been badly damaged.

I mean... Newcastle brought Howe in. Didn't win a game in 10 then spent £100mill in January to "fix" the damage left by Ashley and Bruce. Flip side is Southampton who've had a fire sale for the past 2 seasons and are now on manager 3 in 1 season and don't look like getting out of it.

And I do think that rep Benitez now has, has killed his career. I mean... Palace could've gone for him couldn't they....

Status
Not open for further replies.