Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or did we have to spend all of that just to maintain 7th? Said this in another thread, but City strengthened their defence and midfield. Utd strengthened all round. Chelsea also bought in defence, midfield and attack to improve their squad and first 11. Arsenal bought a goalscorer and a left back better than anything we have. Spurs spent over 60 million quid on defenders and a back up striker that would walk into our team. And the [Poor language removed] bought the best player in the league.

We spunked a wodge on future potential, number 10s and lost (and didn't replace) the only world class striker we have had in 30 years. On that basis (sadly) 7th is about right.

Chelsea definitely didn't improve, they bought the worst flop of the season in bakayoko to replace matic, and a player in moratta whose half as good as Costa.

Arsenal lost there best midfielder permanent to injury in cazorla, lost by a way there best player in Sanchez.

The rest treaded water besides city who seriously improved.

Well, where do you start with that.
What had Howard Kendall done? Was he a panic moment?
Just give him chance...
Do I support the same club as most of the people, I know?

Answer to your last question mate, I dunno, but your views seem not like many blues I know, so you answer that really?

As for Kendall, a blue mentioning allardyce in the same breath as him, give your head a wobble.

I just wish he'd stop going on about being safe from relegation as some sort of achievement.
But isn't that why he was appointed? He inherited a rag-tag team of other managers' players, at least half of which he wouldn't have bought to the club, and is trying to make the best of a bad lot. If he can continue to bring in the likes of Theo then who knows?

Even though daily he's becoming an increasingly divisive figure, I just can't see him getting sacked just yet. Which is indicative of where we stand as a club. From the top down.

After the money that's been spent, 7th is an absolute minimum. And even with all the talk of staving off relegation, surely there's still an expectation from the boardroom that is, at the very least achievable, mandatory even.

We were never in the dire straits that some predicted and it's been said before, the only reason why 7th is still achievable, it's because the league is dire outside the top 6. Which also explains the unlikely scenario of relegation.

Like him or loathe him, Sam is our manager and I'll think he'll get 7th. Does that warrant him staying on, in my opinion no. But with the board we have, I think expectations have fallen so rapidly, a top 10 finish would be enough for him to at least to see the start of the season.

And that is the grim predicament and status our fine club now stands. Onwards and upwards eh? Or not, depending on your viewpoint. The club needs an overhaul, period. It's a shadow of it's former self.

There’s a huge difference between finishing 7th and challenging for 6th than crawling to 7th

I agree but unfortunately that's the landscape we are now operating under. As a club, we are miles behind Arsenal, let alone Spurs. That's the new reality and we have to deal with it. Sacking Allardyce? I'm sorry that ain't gonna change Jack.

Root and branch re-structuring is what is needed. Throughout the club. It's pointless now even playing the blame game. Identify the problems, weaknesses and change them. Otherwise the best we can hope for, is scraping by as nearly-rans. Which is a travesty considering, and ultimately the real legacy of mismanagement at our club.

At this stage the damage that has been done, may take years or decades to reverse, for us to eventually compete again. Certainly we need a vision that unfortunately appears nettle-like for our current board to grasp. Tough decisions need to be made. And a lot of dead wood needs to go.

I know someone who once sat next to him during a match against Bolton at Goodison. Sam was talking into his little mic to the touchline staff throughout. My mate's conclusion was that Sam is clueless, and appeared to be watching a different game.

At the time I thought he couldn't be that clueless as he had built a decent team. However, he hasn't really achieved much from that day to this, apart from hilariously ruining the Geordies, and stupidly blew his England career.

I just can't see him as our manager in the long term. It feels surreal at the moment and I have disconnected with the team.

I just can't see him as our manager in the long term

Just saying Sam Allardyce is manager of Everton Football Club. Let that sink in? At the the start of the season or any season. Unbelievable.

But it is what it is. Accept the situation and work towards moving out of it. This isn't a time for denial. There is a lot of anger and fracture amongst the supporter base right now. I hope the custodians of the club are taking notice.

Just saying Sam Allardyce is manager of Everton Football Club. Let that sink in? At the the start of the season or any season. Unbelievable.

But it is what it is. Accept the situation and work towards moving out of it. This isn't a time for denial. There is a lot of anger and fracture amongst the supporter base right now. I hope the custodians of the club are taking notice.
I personally think they will have seen the TV rights deal yesterday and are now thinking "that's alright is that, we can continue treading water for some time yet".

"that's alright is that, we can continue treading water for some time yet".

That's a concern which has been at the back of my mind since the so called Premier League began. Just one long gravy train.

It's unpalatable and I'm even open to it being entirely baseless. But money is being made here. And not just drops in the ocean but vast amounts. Not just by players, agents or managers either.

There's something, I dunno, Un-Everton in the whole thing. Doesn't sit right with me, considering we're supposed to be the peoples club. Whatever that means. Of course there was a time when our benefactors actually put their own money into the club. Interest free, with no discernible gains.

But that's just old fashioned nowadays, for the over 40's and such like.

Last edited:
We've had player sales and TV money which appears like investment. It's not really though is it? Is it coincidental that since our major shareholders have abstained from investing in the club, we've won nothing?

As supporters we've invested whatever monies we can, to support our team. For what for most of us would consider minimal returns over the last thirty years. It's heartening to see that the sacrifices we have made have enriched those who have run our club.

From Walter Smith, to Moyes, all our managers really have had to work on a shoestring budget compared to those clubs who we used to stand shoulder to shoulder with.

Don't get me wrong I'm not giving Sam any slack here, any manager who plays two cdms at home and one up front, unequivocally deserves to be sacked. But let's be fair, were paying pennies here, who could really compete? Hate the current incumbent as much as you want, I'm with you all the way but let's see the wood for the trees here.

This club has been shafted. And the supporters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.