Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick and see where we're at in the summer. There's so much potential with this squad and January could just as easily be the turning point for them either way. Jags will help with organisation at the back and a decent signing might give us the feelgood factor back.

A lot of us talk about losing players, but Martienz has given them the confidence they play with and he also got them to buy into the club. He's, for all his flaws, a very charismatic manager who the players seem to want to play for.

Either way, knee jere appointment could just as easily upset the balance of the squad.

So far this season we have conceded 28 goals in 19 games, that averages out at roughly 1.4 goals per game. Fortunately for Martinez he has had Lukaku scoring for fun which invariably has led to lots of score draws.

We are one of the highest scorers in the league with 35 which is unbelievable but we won't get anywhere if we can't keep clean sheets, something we have only managed in 5 out of our 19 league games... two of those only yielded a point.

Look at a team who we played today - Stoke - they had only scored 16 goals all season, but their defence has meant lots of times when they have scored 1 or 2 they have won matches.

Is this an Everton problem or is it a Martinez problem? In Stones, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka, Funes Mori, Galloway we have an extremely capable back line, one of the best in the league. Dare I say it in this forum Howard (the team scape goat) isn't a terrible keeper by a long shot, but a new keeper is needed in the summer. I feel they are all being let down at times by Martinez. Whether this is his style - trying to retain possession and play out from the back, or more simply that they don't focus enough on defending in training e.g set pieces, there is something that is apparent, the defence are just not performing to their capabilities.

Whilst at Wigan many did question how good Martinez's defensive record was, 'he's manager of wigan, with the resources he has it's not his fault,' many lamented, but now, 2 and a half seasons into his tenure the same sorts of trends are starting to develop. We conceded 50 last season, 1 less than hull and 3 less than burnley, who both that went down. the season before - 39, fewer than arsenal and them lot who both finished above us.

So why did it change so quickly? Well, people have sussed us out, the innovative beautiful way we swept the ball about the park in Martinez's first season was probably a large factor, but now other teams have clocked onto this, we now need to change our ways in order to out-think them, something Martinez is reluctant to do. If this is the case then he needs to place a much larger onus on keeping clean sheets whilst playing his style of football otherwise we will continue to be perennial mid-table underachievers at a time when we have one of the most talented an exciting squad that we have seen in decades.

What about all the mangers below him in the league. Can they see it mate?
their trying their best with the cards they have. Interesting post put on here a couple of weeks ago from the wigan fan posted originally in 2012 saying Martinez had a very average side when he joined with very solid but poor footballers and he got them all trying to play it out from the back and into midfield to other players who were not comfortable. Our club does not need individual defenders/players it needs a complete defensive system starting at the front through midfield to the back, like most of the successful sides in Europe are playing.

Some of you lot would happily have Duncan Ferguson who has zero experience in management. Let us know how that would go down x

Why does it have to be either Martinez or some jobber with no experience of managing?

It's the same scaremongering lame ass argument that those who want the board to stay on trot out "be careful least we don't have Venkys".

the only thing we will learn you woolly quilt is that you're a self loathing ted who embarrasses Everton by association.

But anyone reading your posts prior to this will be aware of that.

I know you take pleasure in the fume fest that follows a defeat but come on lad, is this necessary?

We've never been as good as we should be for nearly thirty years. Yet Moyes got eleven of them.

Martinez tries to bridge the gap with a young squad who will develop, the only sustainable way of doing it.

Will he get time though? Not with these teds wanting him gone half way through the season.

I personally don't want him gone because i still see the potential in our squad, but i understand why some do.

There'a glaring hole in our team he's been unable to address for 18 months now, our best young players are not going to stick around if nothing changes so what's the point in giving him time?

Roberto needs to act quickly about sorting out our defensive issues, can he start with throwing Howard out of the club (or at least bench him) in the next month?

Maybe then our fans will love him more.

There's always replacements, it just means taking someone who's a risk.

I think it's easier to change managers at the end of the season but to pick an example, sampaoli is probably leaving chile. If we're happy hiring a tax dodging crook who can't speak english, he has a fine reputation.
I should have said 'there's no CREDIBLE replacements I can think of'.

I keep seeing Ronald Koeman's name pop up and I like him and he'd be boss but like hell he'd leave Southampton. Unless they sack him because they're also having a bad season.

Well, when Swansea were playing like crap, they got rid of Monk. When Aston Villa, who are admittedly even worse than us, were playing like crap, they got rid of Sherwood. Even Chelsea got rid of Mourinho and van Gaal's job is in danger. And yet Martinez is still here?

I like Martinez. I want to, anyway. He seems like a genuinely good bloke and admittedly, I am not in the best of tempers right now as I have a nasty cold. But if getting rid of him will change us for the better, then great. Only problem is, theres no replacements I can think of.

Spot on. Swansea plough through their managers, Southampton have also.

End of the day he's had two full seasons to build a team, the team we see now is his, and they can't defend.

It is no good having a great squad with loads of potential when you're losing or drawing constantly. Finished 6th once and 7th twice in Moyes' last three seasons. It appears that after Martinez's third season we will be in an objectively worse position.

And if we finish in mid-table with no European football you can be certain Lukaku, who is currently keeping us afloat, will not stick around.

I hope he turns it around but we're going downhill.

Yes mate it's doing my head in too.

Absolutely nothing is dropping our way at the moment.

Clattenburg screwed us big time there today. Not a peep though. MARTINEZ!

Because some texans have been wound up expertly by @davek they've backed themselves into a corner and just look like Geordie tits shouting for the managers head despite the fact it wouldn't do Everton much good to replace him now.

We're better than this as fans. We're also better than this as a team.
No ones listening to them mate. The club hierarchy see a manager putting together an exciting young team and they're developing as a unit. PL status is assured and we may win a trophy even this season.

That's it really. The critics go missing again after we win again. I can't take them seriously and I have no respect for them whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.