Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying. By god I am trying! But no matter how much I want to believe in him, how much I want him to succeed and how much I want to just feel naturally positive about the man, I just can't help but feel very worried and ultimately negative about the appointment of Roberto Martinez as manager of Everton Football Club. I know there's an obvious divide in Everton fans' views and opinions of this issue, but what about the man wearing the mask like me. The man who's putting a smile on and forcing himself to look and "feel" excited about Martinez, but deep down knows that something just doesn't fit. I know I'm not the only one wearing that mask of jubilance covering a face of concern, worry and gloominess. Having watched the full appointment of Martinez press conference on YouTube, I think it's blatantly obvious that Kenwright is wearing that mask too. Some say this is a time of promise and future glory, with the players we have, the football Martinez' teams play and the fact that we're taking on a manager who won what Moyesey never could (a trophy!), and I'm happy for those people. Others say this is a huge mistake, with a manager that's never progressed a bottom five team which was finishing higher in the league before he took over and now under his reign got relegated, and I'm happy for those people too. At least you openly know where you stand. But those of you wearing the mask of delight covering up a deep down despair, put your hand up and make yourself known, because I know there's more than just me and Blue Bill.

I am worried definitely but there wasn't a single appointment we could have made that would have meant me being a lot less worried. Moyes has bought stability and I think anything that appears to threaten it will make us uneasy. I really think its possible that the way he works will suit better players though. I am not sure about this but I did see enough pragmatism in his interviews from him to take make me sure he wont just go with his own ideas regardless of what our strengths are and he certainly wont break up the foundations. even Rodgers who may be the most arrogant manager on the planet realised he would be out of a job if he didn't drop 'the project' and start to let Gerrard lump the ball when he wanted to. could be a disappointing season or a really exciting one, but as much as I liked the guy I think Moyes had stopped focussing on the club and had to go. I am definitely wearing a mask cos I watched the Wigan Swansea game, but its there because I think we cant go into the season with doubts ...from the fans through the players to the manager we have to go for this till we start to see signs its not going to work. I am totally convinced that even if he messes up the players on our books cannot finish below eighth. he has already indicated the back line won't be messed with and that was my biggest fear

Last edited by a moderator:
I am worried definitely but there wasn't a single appointment we could have made that would have meant me being a lot less worried. Moyes has bought stability and I think anything that appears to threaten it will make us uneasy. I really think its possible that the way he works will suit better players though. I am not sure about this but I did see enough pragmatism in his interviews from him to take make me sure he wont just go with his own ideas regardless of what our strengths are and he certainly wont break up the foundations. even Rodgers who may be the most arrogant manager on the planet realised he would be out of a job if he didn't drop 'the project' and start to let Gerrard lump the ball when we wanted to. could be a disappointing season or a really exciting one, but as much as I liked the guy I think Moyes had stopped focussing on the club and had to go. I am definitely wearing a mask cos I watched the Wigan Swansea game, but its there because I think we cant go into the season with doubts ...from the fans through the players to the manager we have to go for this till we start to see signs its not going to work. I am totally convinced that even if he messes up the players on our books cannot finish below eighth. he has already indicated the back line won't be messed with and that was my biggest fear
I like encouragement like that... that's definitely how I want to feel.

Kenny Dalglish I think.

They dont like that Martinez turned them down.
Not toeing the party line doesn't make him a kopite.

Worried or not there's not a lot we can do about it. We have to get behind him and support him and the team. Lets face it, there wasn't a great deal of choice out there in regards of suitable candidates. A lot of ppl on here wanted VP, but was he really that much better than Bobby? He's gone to Saudi Arabia or somewhere so there wasn't a whole host of top euro clubs fighting for his services.

I don't think we were ever in a position to attract one of europe's top managers. So given the list of real contenders, then Martinez was certainly a favourite for the post. When Moyes left I was as sceptical as a lot of fans on here about Bobby, but then you look at some of the other names and I'm like ffs get Bobby. Chill guys give him a chance.

I am an optimistic type of person without losing realism. The thing I like about Martinez is his apparent knowledge of football and systems and his optimism. "I will get Everton into the CL" is optimism (Kenwright should not have blurted that statement out) and something he believes. If we do then great if we don't then I will not hold it against him. I would rather hear that than "our target is 40 points". I think Moyes was more of a gamble when we appointed him than Martinez is now. Maybe 11-12 years of Moyes stability has been classed as success to a percentage of fans (well it was and it wasn't I suppose) and the fear is we are going back to the Walter Smith days. We had too long (IMO) with Moyes and while some loved him he was just a manager that became worshipped for making us a top half side but deep down I think a lot of fans thought he could of grew a pair on occasion but regrettably believed in his own philosophy of taking a knife to a gunfight therefore caution lost us the chance to push on. Martinz believes in himself and the players he has at his disposal and will be looking to win so called big games. As of him relegating a team you have to look for the reasons why he was unable to keep them up and there are plenty that are not down to him alone. Take your mask off and embrace him as our manager and bounce off his optimism and hope he gets it right.

I wonder how many of the people 'wearing the mask' about Martinez were 'wearing the mask' eleven years ago when we hired the manager of Preston.

Martinez has a much harder job than Moyes, our expectations under Walter Smith were destroyed. Any change of manager would have been welcomed with open arms.

Now, its a different story.

I'm trying. By god I am trying! But no matter how much I want to believe in him, how much I want him to succeed and how much I want to just feel naturally positive about the man, I just can't help but feel very worried and ultimately negative about the appointment of Roberto Martinez as manager of Everton Football Club. I know there's an obvious divide in Everton fans' views and opinions of this issue, but what about the man wearing the mask like me. The man who's putting a smile on and forcing himself to look and "feel" excited about Martinez, but deep down knows that something just doesn't fit. I know I'm not the only one wearing that mask of jubilance covering a face of concern, worry and gloominess. Having watched the full appointment of Martinez press conference on YouTube, I think it's blatantly obvious that Kenwright is wearing that mask too. Some say this is a time of promise and future glory, with the players we have, the football Martinez' teams play and the fact that we're taking on a manager who won what Moyesey never could (a trophy!), and I'm happy for those people. Others say this is a huge mistake, with a manager that's never progressed a bottom five team which was finishing higher in the league before he took over and now under his reign got relegated, and I'm happy for those people too. At least you openly know where you stand. But those of you wearing the mask of delight covering up a deep down despair, put your hand up and make yourself known, because I know there's more than just me and Blue Bill.

Hi goat x

the only thing keeping me from worrying too much is that i was convinced we would get relegated when we appointed Moyes. I am expecting a 10th place finish. If we sign someone like franco di santo i will pack it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.