Confirmed Signing Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, this is how you do a Villa or a Sunderland, which might actually be worse.

There is some validity in that tbf. But that said, the wider picture is probably better suited to the Moshiri thread, or even better, the Stadium thread.

To sum it up

If we were signing this lad for 11 million from Brazil everyone would be getting excited at having a young Brazilian winger coming into the club

The fact the fee is 3 times as big and we are buying him from Watford makes everyone think we are buying a crap player.

I disagree, I think people can detach their thoughts on the fee from their thoughts on the player. Personally I like the player but I think the fee -- in isolation -- is too high.

But stepping back from this deal, I'm delighted that there appears to be a coherent transfer strategy that fits the team the manager wants to build. If that means paying over the odds for someone Silva and Brands know and like early on, then so be it for now. But we have to move away from spending this kind of money on second tier players -- this is the main job for Brands over the next few years. We can't reverse the horrors of last summer and the Walsh era in one transfer window, and this Richarlison deal may just be the last bit of the hangover.

I disagree, I think people can detach their thoughts on the fee from their thoughts on the player. Personally I like the player but I think the fee -- in isolation -- is too high.

Thing is the fee will most likely never be known in detail. Plenty of chatter that a portion is compo for Silva, (benefits Watford FFP wise/us out of the courts), the add ons are wide and varied, and no idea re staged payments. So the "£50m" signing could, at a stretch be half of that. Up front.

I think there are Jack Walkers and in some ways Moshiri is a Jack Walker type but the issue is the inflation in the game has meant that wealth outside of it is nowhere near as significant. I read somewhere inflation in transfers versus regular inflation was around 10 times over the last couple of decades. It could be more.

If we take some names we'd like to see if we had an endless pot of money, Mbappe, Alderweireld, Kane, Coutinho. Probably not getting much change out of 600 million for those players. Thats pretty much what Walker did, and Roman A did. Bought the best players, but it's hard for anyone, even Usmanov to operate entirely that way. It's even interesting Manchester City have slowed up a bit and look to prioritise signing younger players.
I think there are Jack Walkers and in some ways Moshiri is a Jack Walker type but the issue is the inflation in the game has meant that wealth outside of it is nowhere near as significant. I read somewhere inflation in transfers versus regular inflation was around 10 times over the last couple of decades. It could be more.

If we take some names we'd like to see if we had an endless pot of money, Mbappe, Alderweireld, Kane, Coutinho. Probably not getting much change out of 600 million for those players. Thats pretty much what Walker did, and Roman A did. Bought the best players, but it's hard for anyone, even Usmanov to operate entirely that way. It's even interesting Manchester City have slowed up a bit and look to prioritise signing younger players.

I am sure your right about there being Jack Walkers but I see this as an investment for Moshiri - seemed a labour of love to Walker. I am not saying that it's solely that but football teams now tend to be trophies for the well heeled or they see it as part of a wider financial strategy. I don't think that Moshiri would want to be in a personally weaker position when he walks away and who can blame him. The benefit to us is that these people generally do not like to fail but the premiership is an entirely different environment. In the commercial world you can have several successful companies competing in the same environment and there's no league table to measure your success. Even if your not top dog your still a success.

In footballing terms it's different and success can falter on a couple of decisions during a game. In Martinez's last season had we had a little bit of luck (couple of decisons going our way) in the cups it could have bizzarely ended as a succesful season.

My concern is that Moshiri came in hoping to do an Abramovich but its simply isn't possible anymore in the Premiership especially with City around. PSG have been able to do it as they are well ahead of others in their league and with that success they can compete across the European transfer market both in terms of wages and success.

I think that we are where Tottenham were post Bale. They managed to get themselves out of the doldrums after a truly horrific bunch of transfers with a great managerial appointment, hit the jackpot with the youth that they bought or developed, and then paid for experience at the back. They got lucky and you need that - plenty of youth don't come through.

I hope we get a bit of luck now.

Mosh is backing his boy Marco, just like he did for Koeman. If he can get a player the manager wants he goes and gets him, value be damned.

he looked quality for Watford under silva

50 mill is absolute madness though regardless of how much is made up in clauses

Well it isnt really £50m. That number gives Watford an excuse if fans dont like the sale, (jury out apparently), it almost certainly includes any Silva compo, and if the clauses are met, then we have done well with the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.