Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't no but it'd be a huge boost.

Fact remains that by the time we kick-off on Sunday, Watford could easily be within a point of us, we could be 9 points behind Newcastle and Leeds could be 4 clear of us.
This is true but the fixtures are in our favour this week, the fodder have hard games and some play twice.
It could be a total disaster but it could be good as well

It's the hope that kills you, afew years back when Moshiri took over I thought we would have won an FA Cup by now and be challenging for champions league

Instead we have spent over half a BILLION to get worse, had FSW as manager, got rid of 2 of our better players & have brought in a manager with no experience for what we need

It's almost like Everton is a social experiment

Lol we are going down and it makes me feel sick

Last edited:
You'd think "if we go down at least we can get rid of the dross that took us down", then realise they're all on multi-year contracts on huge wages, definitely without any kind of relegation clause to reduce their wages, and were signed far too expensively for us to sell at a fraction of the price, not that anybody would want them or they'd accept a move to earn significantly lower wages anyway.

If we go down, we're stuck with Keane, Holgate, Iwobi, Gomes, Rondon, Coleman, Townsend, Davies (altogether about 400k a week, and none of them are likely to perform any better than than currently do, which is abysmally, even in the Championship) and it'll be those wage-stealers that make it much more difficult for Lampard to revamp the squad.

In fact, I'd wager that those 8 players by themselves earn more, perhaps significantly more, any than other SQUAD outside of the Premier League.

I assume there will be two or three changes in the summer, Richarlison and Mina sold to get some kind of war chest, and we'll look to our rivals in the Championship to try and get some established but low-earning players from there with a bit of fight and bottle to give us a chance of going back up.

Certainly we're going to be years away from being able to poach the better players from any half decent side in the Premier League or abroad. I'd go as far as to say we might be 5 years away from being able to establish ourselves as a mid-table at best Premier League side, if we're lucky.

At worst, we're financially ruined, turn into the next Blackburn and spend the next decade trying to get back to the big table.

Last edited:

We need to find a way to stay up. Dig in and battle for a few points.
The last interview it seems Frank knows who the problem are.
We need to get our injured players back asap and our famed goal scorer needs to start scoring goals again.

If we go down, we might not well recover again in my lifetime.
In Prem years, clubs who go down do not make it big again as the gulf becomes too wide.

(Unless they inherit an obscene amount of money.)

It's not Frank's fault. Nor the FSW. This hole has been dug for years by the board and they can't help themselves but make it worse.
Bad appointments. Bad signings. Repeat. Our club are a joke. But we still love Everton.

We need to find a way to stay up. Dig in and battle for a few points.
The last interview it seems Frank knows who the problem are.
We need to get our injured players back asap and our famed goal scorer needs to start scoring goals again.

If we go down, we might not well recover again in my lifetime.
In Prem years, clubs who go down do not make it big again as the gulf becomes too wide.

(Unless they inherit an obscene amount of money.)

It's not Frank's fault. Nor the FSW. This hole has been dug for years by the board and they can't help themselves but make it worse.
Bad appointments. Bad signings. Repeat. Our club are a joke. But we still love Everton.
To be honest I hate Everton now. Im stuck supporting them but they bring no pleasure or enjoyment to my life, only misery. It will be a relief to me when the life support machine is turned off and we become insolvent. God speed that day when I am liberated.

I mean I want good players to play for Everton rather than average tosh that has left us in a relegation scrap but I agree with @ToffeeTim general point that it is an example of overspending etc.

I don't know how you can look at our creative fulcrum of *checks notes* Anthony Gordon, Andros Townsend, Alex Iwobi and Jonjoe Kenny playing at LB and not think we've downgraded.

Tell you what, paying better players more and being comfortably alright in the league is better than paying tosh players less and going down
We just paid him too much. Like seriously what did we think we were doing paying someone upwards of 10m a year. Especially someone injured more than half the time

I sadly agree with Harry Redknapps bleak opinion here.

“I watched it on TV and Jamie Carragher said it was a Championship back-four.

“If you go through, man for man, it’s a poor outfit. They’ve recruited badly, got no legs in midfield, the little boy Allan can’t run and get around the pitch.

“It’s only the young lad [Anthony Gordon] who showed any life and played with some energy.

“They really are a poor outfit.

Redknapp added: “They’ve gone through good managers. The recruitment has just been shocking at the club.

“They are average players, average characters. Frank has his work cut out. If he keeps them up then he’s done very well because they are in desperate trouble.”

He continued: “It’s not just suddenly happened, it’s happened all year. It’s what one win in 14 now.

“As I said, they’ve had Champions League-winning managers who have gone there and couldn’t get anything out of them.

Redknapp added that he thinks Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola would struggle to steer the Blues away from trouble.

“It’s down to recruitment. I don’t care who you think you are, you could put Pep [Guardiola] in there and he’s not suddenly going to turn that group around,” said Redknapp.

They aren’t good enough and have a very average group of players. He’s got a massive job on his hands.

“The eight games at home in the last 13 is the big thing. They’ve got great fans and hopefully will give them a lift.

“They’ve got Wolves and Newcastle, they will need that crowd behind them even if things aren’t going well.

“Hopefully at the end of the season they can rebuild.”

You'd think "if we go down at least we can get rid of the dross that took us down", then realise they're all on multi-year contracts on huge wages, definitely without any kind of relegation clause to reduce their wages, and were signed far too expensively for us to sell at a fraction of the price, not that anybody would want them or they'd accept a move to earn significantly lower wages anyway.

If we go down, we're stuck with Keane, Holgate, Iwobi, Gomes, Rondon, Coleman, Townsend, Davies (altogether about 400k a week, and none of them are likely to perform any better than than currently do, which is abysmally, even in the Championship) and it'll be those wage-stealers that make it much more difficult for Lampard to revamp the squad.

In fact, I'd wager that those 8 players by themselves earn more, perhaps significantly more, any than other SQUAD outside of the Premier League.

I assume there will be two or three changes in the summer, Richarlison and Mina sold to get some kind of war chest, and we'll look to our rivals in the Championship to try and get some established but low-earning players from there with a bit of fight and bottle to give us a chance of going back up.

Certainly we're going to be years away from being able to poach the better players from any half decent side in the Premier League or abroad. I'd go as far as to say we might be 5 years away from being able to establish ourselves as a mid-table at best Premier League side, if we're lucky.

At worst, we're financially ruined, turn into the next Blackburn and spend the next decade trying to get back to the big table.
That's another aspect to consider - the reality of finances. One the one hand thaose players you mention would be good enough to get you oput of the Championship but every game will be palyed as a Cup final for the opposition team meaning it will be for you, too. However, by retaining players on massive wages there are downsides across the club as you find a swathe of redundancies across backroom staff. From less coaches across all grades, to ticket operators, to caterers...all start losing their jobs as the revenue from the Championship cannot cover even a fraction of the money being in the Premier League guarantees you. The parachute payment only gets you so far and cuts have to be made. We (Villa) even had to close the top portion of the Trinity Rd stand (where the dug outs are) as a way of cutting costs when we first went down.

Every club in a relegation battle think their club is in the worst position but only 3 go down. I obviously don't watch Everton as closely as youi guys (or at all unless you play Villa in all honesty) but from what I have seen I'd be surprised if you end up being one of the worst 3 teams thise season. You're on a horrible run and its hard to break that momentum, but I'd still expect you to stay out of the bottom 3 when it matters and to finish at last 4 or 5 points from it. leeds could get sucked deeper - and I still think Brentford may - but it's likely to be the bottom 3 that go.

Talk Sport just mentioned we could be due a points deduction! they never elaborated before I got to work, anybody know what this is all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.