Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lets be honest though they are just stats you don't get a trophy for most seasons in the top flight - the last 27 years we've been largely a midtable boring club making up the numbers outside of a few good seasons under Moyes and one under Martinez.

I think people are worrying too much - Newcastle and Villa both went down and are now back in the PL doing better than us. The Championship whilst competitive isn't the most difficult to get out of when you have a half decent squad at that level hence why Fulham and Norwich seem to bounce up and down every season.

Mitrovic has about 40 goals in that league this season and he's lucky to hit 7 a season in the PL.

Whilst players like Keane, Godfrey, Iwobi, Doucoure are average in the PL they'll instantly look boss down there even El Ghazi looked like Messi the year Villa came back up so I dont worry about staying down there.

Just cant be doing with the "RIP EFC" nonsense on social media.

My Villa supporting mate said to me a few days back "those years we where in the Championship what did I miss out on that you were enjoying in the PL?" and the answer was nothing. He also said whilst the quality in that league was less he enjoyed the championship more than he has the PL since coming back up.

You'll be suprised how many will probably feel similiar if the worst happened albeit they wouldn't dare admit it in fear of looking small time in front of the super bloos.

Wolves fan (in peace, as it's customary to say!)

The reasons for pessimism are that
1) it is true that we were woeful against Newcastle.
2) we had a great record against Burnley in the noughties but since then we have really really struggled against them to the point that they're now a bogey team.

But a reason for optimism is that Wolves' performances and results are hard to predict, so hopefully both will be good on Sunday.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
We need it mate, no problem being a Wolves fan on here. One of my best mates was a Wolves fan and my brother in law follows them as well, JUST BEAT BURNLEY THOUGH !!!!!

Lets be honest though they are just stats you don't get a trophy for most seasons in the top flight - the last 27 years we've been largely a midtable boring club making up the numbers outside of a few good seasons under Moyes and one under Martinez.

I think people are worrying too much - Newcastle and Villa both went down and are now back in the PL doing better than us. The Championship whilst competitive isn't the most difficult to get out of when you have a half decent squad at that level hence why Fulham and Norwich seem to bounce up and down every season.

Mitrovic has about 40 goals in that league this season and he's lucky to hit 7 a season in the PL.

Whilst players like Keane, Godfrey, Iwobi, Doucoure are average in the PL they'll instantly look boss down there even El Ghazi looked like Messi the year Villa came back up so I dont worry about staying down there.

My Villa supporting mate said to me a few days back "those years we where in the Championship what did I miss out on that you were enjoying in the PL?" and the answer was nothing. He also said whilst the quality in that league was less he enjoyed the championship more than he has the PL since coming back up.

You'll be suprised how many will probably feel similiar if the worst happened albeit they wouldn't dare admit it in fear of looking small time in front of the super bloos.

You started quite well ? but whoa, 'worrying too much about relegation'?

This is just the opposite to a point I made on Moshiri. That while we're a vacant empty head of a football club making up the numbers, we don't bat an eye lid to others going down. Equally, they come back up and we're still
dawdling, making no worrying glances to the likes of Villa and Newcastle.

But now we're even worse. If we did go down I don't think we'd come back up any time soon.

I dont feel the same and I wouldnt be negative just for the sake of it.

I felt we were in trouble this season around november. A range of reasons. A midtable team that get relegated usually has the same characteristics and I felt we had many of them.(it was coming over a number of years.) I might have got laughed at in november by many for thinking the above. Not any more it seems.

But the idea that this club will come straight back up is nowhere near guaranteed. I would rate it 50 /50 at best and the following years the odds lessen .We are close to the worst club run in england in all divisions. We could spend 10 years in the championship. And even worse. We need kenwright gone. Moshiri to stay away from any decisions. Some of those complete idiots on the board gone. Clear out of many of these soft players and a clear out of players who cannot pass or control the ball.

If that's happens we have a chance to regroup and try to bounce back but then you have the problem of the teams you mentioned above. Bounce up and down.

We need to do everything to stay in the premiership. Absolutely everything.

Agree with this.
As painful as relegation would be it would be far from the end of the world. A break from the premier League and a chance to rebuild and have a successful season.
Obviously it's not ideal but I've almost made peace with the idea of it.
Wouldn't miss derby day either. Already kidding myself thinking we will get something off them when in reality it will be business as usual.

There's absolutely no positives to us going down. I don't care if the absolute best case scenario happens and we walk the championship and bounce straight back. There's no positive spin to put on it here, It'll be the darkest day in the clubs entire history. We'll go to sleep gutted and the next day we'll wake up and start again. And guess what? The club will still be here. Its not going anywhere and won't disappear.

What difference does it make in the grand scheme of things if the worst happens? Its not going to stop me going the match. It just means that we'll be crap and ineffective in a poorer league. Apart from that what will happen? Some bellend kopites will take the mick? Lol, good luck with that one, you have to value someone's opinion for it to have a negative effect on you and there isn't a single kopite in all of creation whose opinion I value when it comes to togger! I'm just saying lads. Try to not let it effect you to much if the worst happens because its important to remember that as much as we care about the club, there are far more important things in the world.

You started quite well ? but whoa, 'worrying too much about relegation'?

This is just the opposite to a point I made on Moshiri. That while we're a vacant empty head of a football club making up the numbers, we don't bat an eye lid to others going down. Equally, they come back up and we're still
dawdling, making no worrying glances to the likes of Villa and Newcastle.

But now we're even worse. If we did go down I don't think we'd come back up any time soon.

Relegation doesn't equal death.

It equals not being part of the PL Gravy train where clubs like Everton and Aston Villa can pay players like Andre Gomes and Lucas Digne 100k a week and look all "ambitious" sat in midtable.

I hope we stay up but more out of convenience of a squad rebuild happening more smoothly in the summer but I wont lose a wink of sleep if we got relegated as if it happens we'll ultimately have deserved it - thats football and why we dont want an ESL closed shop.

Whilst I still have hope that we can get enough points to stay ahead of Burnely, I am massively worried that if we do go down we are going to be in so much trouble financially. I wonder if we have any type of 'relegation clauses' in player contracts, where players would be obliged to take reduced wages if we go down. Our wage bill is already a huge percentage of turnover and although we have a few saleable players we still have a lot of deadwood on massive wages that is going to be a nightmare to get rid of. Some of the salaries our players seem to be on are eye watering even for PL, but in the championship is would just be totally unsustainable.

Relegation doesn't equal death.

It equals not being part of the PL Gravy train where clubs like Everton and Aston Villa can pay players like Andre Gomes and Lucas Digne 100k a week and look all "ambitious" sat in midtable.

I hope we stay up but more out of convenience of a squad rebuild happening more smoothly in the summer but I wont lose a wink of sleep if we got relegated as if it happens we'll ultimately have deserved it - thats football and why we dont want an ESL closed shop.
Aston Villa was in massive financial trouble and got lucky with getting mega rich owners who bailed them out at the nick of time. If we go down we won't get suck luck. Best case scenario we'll end up like Derby. I dread to think of the worst case scenario.

I wish people would just look at the wider picture and realise that Leeds are still not out of the relegation picture

They may have 33 points but they may not pick up another point all season based on their fixtures whilst we still have a chance at home to palace and Brentford and away to Watford.

It’s entirely possible they both Burnley and Everton survive and Leeds go down yet all everyone is worried about is Burnley right now.

I wish people would just look at the wider picture and realise that Leeds are still not out of the relegation picture

They may have 33 points but they may not pick up another point all season based on their fixtures whilst we still have a chance at home to palace and Brentford and away to Watford.

It’s entirely possible they both Burnley and Everton survive and Leeds go down yet all everyone is worried about is Burnley right now.
Im more concerned about our ability to pick up points, with a pretty stacked fixture list.

Yes, nobody has an easy run, but I dont care about Leeds or Burnley, I worry whether we can pick up the points WE need, cos in order to trouble Leeds we need to pick up points.

I know it is

We need 9 points from somewhere, anywhere. That should enough. If we get more than that then that should guarantee safety
I know how that works but this year it seems like a straight race for points between now and seasons end, and the one who gets the most stays up.
The last three matches Everton got 4 points
Burnley got 4 points
Watford got 0 points
Norwich got 4 points
and Leeds got 7 points
So on the basis of that form Watford would finish bottom with two from Norwich, Burnley and us. I dont think Norwich can sustain their form as they played Burnley in there and seem to fold easily. There has been much talk of the relative quality of opposition in the run in but if you think of it that way, our opposition in Liecester, ManU and now RS is probably the toughest of any of those in the race.
I think after the Watford game we can assess the situation better, right now its all speculation but not good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.