Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry if it goes a bit Pete Tong...

Mosh Has Already Made 'The Call'......

IMG_20210630_192527.jpg

And?

I'm just tired of seeing people talking like "Americans don't get it, it's different here." Yeah the culture will have its unique traits but sports rivalries? I think I get it. You don't have to talk down to us.
This, exactly. I was born and raised in Alabama, where there are no professional sports teams. Everything I've read just now in this thread about Everton v. Liverpool in the city applies to Alabama v. Auburn in the state, but it's a whole state, not just one city. I was born an Alabama fan, as my parents were Alabama fans. My brother is a Bama fan, etc. etc. If you are in Alabama and you meet a stranger, especially during college football season, you're almost certainly getting the "Alabama or Auburn" question (like the "blue or red" mentioned earlier), if you're not already wearing the respective logo all over your clothes. We live with each other every single day of the year (though I live in Georgia now), and the rivalry is always at the forefront of everyone's mind.

So to act like these all-encompassing sports rivalries that permeate all facets of life are unique to the UK football scene does absolutely come across as condescending. I could just as easily say, "you've clearly never been to Alabama."

Dunno man, my extended family has been mixed since forever. My dad, grandad and great-grandad were all blues, but plenty of my dad's cousins etc and my cousins are reds.
Yes I know as I said that there were mixed families, but they were far from the norm. Mind you I wasn’t going as far as cousins, we had red cousins, but, they were from red houses.

The only bit of positivity I am holding onto is the fact that he clearly will tell it as it is. And a lot of that squad need that. Seems our last manager was a bit too fluffy. Expect some to get a shock and James to be looking for the exit button ASAP. Stomach is still churning though.

This, exactly. I was born and raised in Alabama, where there are no professional sports teams. Everything I've read just now in this thread about Everton v. Liverpool in the city applies to Alabama v. Auburn in the state, but it's a whole state, not just one city. I was born an Alabama fan, as my parents were Alabama fans. My brother is a Bama fan, etc. etc. If you are in Alabama and you meet a stranger, especially during college football season, you're almost certainly getting the "Alabama or Auburn" question (like the "blue or red" mentioned earlier). We live with each other every single day of the year (though I live in Georgia now), and the rivalry is always at the forefront of everyone's mind.

So to act like these all-encompassing sports rivalries that permeate all facets of life are unique to the UK football scene does absolutely come across as condescending. I could just as easily say, "you've clearly never been to Alabama."
Alabama fan? :red:

But I'm not trying to do that.

Since you feel the need to go all explain mode to me I'm going to give you some just for fun.

The intracity thing doesn't matter here. Americans grow up with a different appreciation of space than you all do. Boston and NY is a big rivalry and they are the same distance apart as Merseyside and London. It doesn't matter. Same as Seattle and Portland being probably as far as Southampton and some point on Scotland are apart. It's unique the same way you all are and no one is better.

I'm on your side, I understand this hurts, stop taking shots.
This was my exact point.

Some people handle success with class, reserve, and humility.

The RS here ( in our city) subject us to arrogance, belittlement, and scorn.

They take every opportunity to mock and deride us, so no surprise we find them hard to love.
You must mix with a peculiar bunch of people. The half dozen reds I know and mix with are anything but arrogant, belittling or scornful. I think you are exaggerating to impress someone from outside our city?? The majority of reds are the same as the majority of blues. That applies everywhere in football and outside of football. A small minority are nut cases on both sides of the fence.

I think it is difficult for you lads in America to grasp how it is here, I’m a blue, my father was a blue, my brothers a blue my sons a blue, I’m not sure it’s quite that way for you lads, but, here there are blue families and red families and where football is concerned there are deep rooted rivalries.

As an Australian, I’ll just put it out there we also have rivalries! Unbelievable but true.

This, exactly. I was born and raised in Alabama, where there are no professional sports teams. Everything I've read just now in this thread about Everton v. Liverpool in the city applies to Alabama v. Auburn in the state, but it's a whole state, not just one city. I was born an Alabama fan, as my parents were Alabama fans. My brother is a Bama fan, etc. etc. If you are in Alabama and you meet a stranger, especially during college football season, you're almost certainly getting the "Alabama or Auburn" question (like the "blue or red" mentioned earlier), if you're not already wearing the respective logo all over your clothes. We live with each other every single day of the year (though I live in Georgia now), and the rivalry is always at the forefront of everyone's mind.

The difference is Id be the one saying ‘I’m not from there so I don’t really get it’. Because I wouldn’t.

But I’d be sound with that. I’m not quite sure why people have taken offence by the idea to be honest. There’s no way I could appreciate that rivalry like you do. Because I’ve never lived it.

@ForeverBlue92

I’ve watched his press conference , im in what else can I do lad .

I mean I’m not in but you know what I mean .

I knew the Rafatollah would win you over mate lol

In all seriousness I hope he does well - seems a decent fella outside of football. I always think in football players/managers have a perception in the media and it doesn't always reflect them off the field.

Look at Carlo for all the gentleman/respectful reputation he's bloody hardfaced and self serving as we've just found out. Dunc is the opposite where he has a fearsome reputation based on the pitch but by all accounts is a quiet bloke outside of football.

I think Benitez will work his socks off and isnt just in this for the money. Hopefully we back him to the hilt this summer as this squad needs gutting and injecting with some real pace and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.