Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t say being local completely defines it. I’m local and I couldn’t give a rats arse about them, does that make me less of an Evertonian? Not at all I just don’t take anything they say or do seriously, red mates wind me up all the time over stuff, I just laugh it off. It’s all about how seriously you take it. It’s just a game at the end of the day. More important things in life to get upset about as this last year has proven.
Agree. I stick around Everton to support because of the people and what they do outside of football more than the sadness Everton causes me on matchdays. I'd like to have both. One day...

Have you been to baseball games here where fans of opposing teams get beaten to death in the parking lot? Over a baseball game?

Liverpool/Everton isn't unique.

Baseball rivalries might be more fierce, it doesn't mean they aren't fierce here with football.

Oh I get having an annoying as hell rival. If said person bases their worldview on sports, it's probably best to leave them to the loony bin where they belong.
I think it is difficult for you lads in America to grasp how it is here, I’m a blue, my father was a blue, my brothers a blue my sons a blue, I’m not sure it’s quite that way for you lads, but, here there are blue families and red families and where football is concerned there are deep rooted rivalries.

Don't like the fella, but wish him every success in the world.
Everything will be forgotten if he does well, and I hope he does too, the problem is if he doesn't things will get quite toxic between fans and club we have to be realistic and look at his recent success or lack of it compared to success he had 10+ years ago, the game has moved on a lot since then

I think it is difficult for you lads in America to grasp how it is here, I’m a blue, my father was a blue, my brothers a blue my sons a blue, I’m not sure it’s quite that way for you lads, but, here there are blue families and red families and where football is concerned there are deep rooted rivalries.
The same tribalism happens here. The stupidity of it spilling over isn't unique to anywhere, unfortunately.

Everything will be forgotten if he does well, and I hope he does too, the problem is if he doesn't things will get quite toxic between fans and club we have to be realistic and look at his recent success or lack of it compared to success he had 10+ years ago, the game has moved on a lot since then
I agree but doing well has to be not just ‘well’ actually ‘incredible’

And you're speaking as someone who has the typical arrogance of "we're just different and better" so it's fine, "The Friendly Derby" is the most intense thing in the world. Carry on.

Basically this entire post is saying we can't have rivalries because our country is big. So yeah man you do you.

No. Not you dont understand rivalries. But you dont understand the football scene in Liverpool. When you get over here, you will get it.

And thats from someone who hasnt lived anywhere near Liverpool for 50 years. But when I was delivering stuff near Bristol, and a Liverpool/NW accent was recognised, the first question that is asked is "Red or Blue".

You also get families where it's a mix of red and blue. You don't get that in America. It's a lot more tribal.

Absolutely. I don’t mind the appointment. I don’t LIKE that it’s been done with such opposition from the fans but the fact it has is surely a sign that the board have a “win at all costs” approach to appointing who they believe is the right person; the fact they know they’ll get crucified doubly if they get this one wrong but did it anyway gives me a weird sort of comfort.

It’s kind of like when you’re in rough turbulence but the flight attendants are having a laugh and a joke. It’s all fine.
I really think everyone has to think like an owner here. He's an accountant, risk-averse in nature. He's taken risks and had to pay more buyouts than he's seen wins over Liverpool. He wants safe and proven for once. Rafael loves Merseyside, he won't pull a Carlo.

In regards to his interview, I hope everyone knows that there's some very clever media personnel behind the scenes at Everton that come up with the perfectly crafted questions for the equally perfectly crafted answers. It should go without saying but some folk need to avoid be sucked in too easily.

I've quoted somebody else in regards to Sigurdsson today but I hope you know Benitez tried to sign him whilst at Newcastle?
Fantastic stuff. And he'd likely would've improved a poor Newcastle team.

No. Not you dont understand rivalries. But you dont understand the football scene in Liverpool. When you get over here, you will get it.

And thats from someone who hasnt lived anywhere near Liverpool for 50 years. But when I was delivering stuff near Bristol, and a Liverpool/NW accent was recognised, the first question that is asked is "Red or Blue".
And?

I'm just tired of seeing people talking like "Americans don't get it, it's different here." Yeah the culture will have its unique traits but sports rivalries? I think I get it. You don't have to talk down to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.